Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa to Australia - Interview Nerves

Wikiposts

Spouse Visa to Australia - Interview Nerves

Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

wren_burd is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Spouse Visa to Australia - Interview Nerves

Hi,
My partner and I are not British, but this is the only forum I could find that related to Visa's and immigration to Oz.

I am Australian, and my Boyfriend is a South Indian. He came to Australia to study, and to apply for a skilled migration visa. We got together pretty early on, but not long into our relationship the points system changed, so my Boyfriends visa application became 5 points short.
We have since applied for a spouse visa, and are waiting for it to be processed. If it is rejected he will do some exam and become a certified Tamil and Hindi translator (he's fluent in 6 languages) and get 5 points that way, but it's more expensive, so we tried the spouse visa first.

We applied last October, but now it is June, and we have only just seen some movement at the DIMIA end of things. (Some complications with the Assurer of Support and Centrelink dragged out for several months... our AoS, bless his heart, forgot to write whos visa he was sponsoring on the form.)

The only complications in our relationship is our age difference (I am 20, he is 28), and the fact that his parents refuse to acknowledge our relationship because I am white, and they want an Indian Bride from the right caste.
Do those things matter to DIMIA? Particularly the latter point.

I am also a bit worried about the interviews... are they conducted together, or seperately?
What sorts of things do they ask?
I always forget dates, like our anniversary, and his birthday and stuff... Would that be a serious problem?

I am kind of nervous...

Thanks if you can help me with any of the above questions.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:59 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa to Australia - Interview Nerves

Originally Posted by wren_burd
Hi,
My partner and I are not British, but this is the only forum I could find that related to Visa's and immigration to Oz.

I am Australian, and my Boyfriend is a South Indian. He came to Australia to study, and to apply for a skilled migration visa. We got together pretty early on, but not long into our relationship the points system changed, so my Boyfriends visa application became 5 points short.
We have since applied for a spouse visa, and are waiting for it to be processed. If it is rejected he will do some exam and become a certified Tamil and Hindi translator (he's fluent in 6 languages) and get 5 points that way, but it's more expensive, so we tried the spouse visa first.

We applied last October, but now it is June, and we have only just seen some movement at the DIMIA end of things. (Some complications with the Assurer of Support and Centrelink dragged out for several months... our AoS, bless his heart, forgot to write whos visa he was sponsoring on the form.)

The only complications in our relationship is our age difference (I am 20, he is 28), and the fact that his parents refuse to acknowledge our relationship because I am white, and they want an Indian Bride from the right caste.
Do those things matter to DIMIA? Particularly the latter point.

I am also a bit worried about the interviews... are they conducted together, or seperately?
What sorts of things do they ask?
I always forget dates, like our anniversary, and his birthday and stuff... Would that be a serious problem?

I am kind of nervous...

Thanks if you can help me with any of the above questions.
Hi,

I am not in entirely the same situation as you, but wanted to post and wish you well.

I am sponsoring my fiance to move to Australia. I am British born but Australian by citizenship and he is South Indian (but grew up in England, so therefore is British).

I am still at the forms, police check, stat dec stage - haven't booked his medical yet.

Some of the information I have gathered or will be gathering is photo's throughout the years (been together 8 years). emails from when we first met (we met online). 2 Stat decs from Aussie friends/family, tickets from joint attended functions such as a concert, bank statement, rent agreement, letters/statements from friends in the UK, etc etc.

I feel sad that your partner's parents don't acknowledge your relationship. I have not had that problem, but my in-laws are not entirely the worlds friendliest people and do not agree with my partner wanting to move back to Oz with me. They claim he is breaking up the family which angers me as they split up their family first by moving to Singapore and then on to London.

Anyway ..... gather as much info as you can!!

If you feel like a chat, then feel free to email me or add me to MSN

All the best

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 14th 2006 at 9:28 pm. Reason: Removing email address - please make contact via the private message system