British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Spouse Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/spouse-visa-424079/)

fin Feb 4th 2007 11:30 am

Spouse Visa

Hi Everyone,

I'm an Aussie so I've got no probs of going back to Aus :D the only problem I have is that I don't want to go without my Brit husband!!

I'm stressing out about this whole spouse visa thing. We've been Married for 3 years this August and together since 2001.

The whole application process seems very daunting! I don't know where to start!

Any suggestions? Anyone else gone thru the spouse visa process? Help would be appreciated :)

Pollyana Feb 4th 2007 11:46 am

Re: Spouse Visa

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4362438)
Hi Everyone,

I'm an Aussie so I've got no probs of going back to Aus :D the only problem I have is that I don't want to go without my Brit husband!!

I'm stressing out about this whole spouse visa thing. We've been Married for 3 years this August and together since 2001.

The whole application process seems very daunting! I don't know where to start!

Any suggestions? Anyone else gone thru the spouse visa process? Help would be appreciated :)

Its very easy! Spouse visas are much easier than Skills, and - certainly from the UK - much quicker, can be granted in a week. Go to www.immi.gov.au and follow the links for Migrant Visa - family - partner. Download the booklet and have a read, then come back with anything you need to ask - lots of us have gone by that route and we'll help you out :)

fin Feb 4th 2007 1:16 pm

thank you so much! :) It's nice to know if I need help I can ask in here!

great site :)

Wilso16 Feb 4th 2007 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4362575)
thank you so much! :) It's nice to know if I need help I can ask in here!

great site :)

Hi,

I will be applying for a defacto spouse visa shortly and when we first started thinking about moving out to Australia we were intimidated by it all and considered using an agent but was put off doing that because of the cost so went ahead with it by ourselves and I can honestly say it's pretty straight forward. This site is a god send and it helped immensely and your questions are always answered.
It will take over your life for the next couple of months whilst your gathering everything but it's worth it!

fin Feb 4th 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks! :)

I have a question already?!

How much evidence should you really send aboutyour relationship. Obviously I'll send as many photos as I can, I've printed them off the pc and put 6 photos to an A4 sheet, but what about e-mails etc? We met in Feb 2001 and were apart from Oct 2001-March 2002 (thats when I moved to the UK) I have loads of e-mails saved that have already been certified by a commisioner of declarations when I was in Aus. Would you include ALL of the emails or just a select few - as in one or two a month?

Same goes for b'day & xmas cards and proof of bank statments, rental agreements and utility bills in both our names, would it be one or two or as many as I can get??

JAJ Feb 4th 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4362438)
Hi Everyone,

Have you got any children? That will influence whether your husband gets a temporary or permanent visa.

Or are any children planned for the future?

Also, are you also a British citizen? If not, then have you thought about becoming naturalised British before you leave the UK? It would make things much easier should you ever want to return later on. Plus there are some countries where entry as a tourist on a British passport is easier than on an Australian one.

fin Feb 4th 2007 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4363256)
Have you got any children? That will influence whether your husband gets a temporary or permanent visa.

Or are any children planned for the future?

Also, are you also a British citizen? If not, then have you thought about becoming naturalised British before you leave the UK? It would make things much easier should you ever want to return later on. Plus there are some countries where entry as a tourist on a British passport is easier than on an Australian one.

Nope not children as yet :( definately plan on having them in the future but would prefer to be settled in Aus first!.

Nope I'm not a british citizen, I have Right of Abode as my mums English so I don't have any probs in that respect :)

JAJ Feb 4th 2007 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4363277)
Nope not children as yet :( definately plan on having them in the future but would prefer to be settled in Aus first!.

In that case you need to know that your husband would get a temporary visa and after 2 years would get a permanent visa if you were still together.

Nope I'm not a british citizen, I have Right of Abode as my mums English so I don't have any probs in that respect
Right of Abode is not quite the same as British citizenship though. You should think hard about naturalisation while you have the opportunity. Download form and guide AN from this site if interested:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...msandguidance/

As you are married to a British citizen, the fact you are planning to emigrate is irrelevant to your eligibility.

You probably have a separate right to register as a British citizen (by descent) based on your mother's status, depending on when you were born, but naturalisation is normally preferable as it gives British citizenship "otherwise than by descent".

fin Feb 4th 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks! I will look into it!! I guess it makes sense so that if we decide to move to the UK it will make things alot easier.

Do you know anything about providing proof of relationship as in how much proof should be provided (I have a pile full of photocopied evidence and it looks a ridiculous amount) Also do you know if I need to have it ALL certified?

I asked the Q below so sorry to repeat.

Pollyana Feb 4th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4363386)
Thanks! I will look into it!! I guess it makes sense so that if we decide to move to the UK it will make things alot easier.

Do you know anything about providing proof of relationship as in how much proof should be provided (I have a pile full of photocopied evidence and it looks a ridiculous amount) Also do you know if I need to have it ALL certified?

I asked the Q below so sorry to repeat.

The only stuff that must be certified is the stuff that they specifiy - birth certs etc. All th evidence such as bills and proof of addresses is fine just as copies.

fin Feb 4th 2007 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4363688)
The only stuff that must be certified is the stuff that they specifiy - birth certs etc. All th evidence such as bills and proof of addresses is fine just as copies.

You don't happen to know what would be the right amount to send do you? I mean the amount I have in photocopies amounts to a whole packet of printer paper!

Wilso16 Feb 4th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4363723)

You don't happen to know what would be the right amount to send do you? I mean the amount I have in photocopies amounts to a whole packet of printer paper!

Just send a selection. I am sending old bank statements one from every three months - don't think they appreciate piles and piles of evidence. I know one couple who only supplied the bare minimum and was given a visa - I'm more in the notion that more is better but as I said don't overload them with it!
I have supplied about 10 photos in total and emails to my OH's mum, holidays invoices, joint utility bills and bank statements and evidence like theatre tickets, festival tickets, birthday, christmas, valentine cards sent to us and each other.
Hope this gives you a better idea of what to send!

Good luck!

fin Feb 4th 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wilso16 (Post 4363915)
Just send a selection. I am sending old bank statements one from every three months - don't think they appreciate piles and piles of evidence. I know one couple who only supplied the bare minimum and was given a visa - I'm more in the notion that more is better but as I said don't overload them with it!
I have supplied about 10 photos in total and emails to my OH's mum, holidays invoices, joint utility bills and bank statements and evidence like theatre tickets, festival tickets, birthday, christmas, valentine cards sent to us and each other.
Hope this gives you a better idea of what to send!

Good luck!

thanks so much!!! I will definately scale down lol

I figured it was too much but I'm just really nervous, I shouldn't be as we've been living together since 2001!

Good Luck to you too :)

Pollyana Feb 5th 2007 2:02 am

Here's my list:

Papers filed/attached to backup application for Permanent Residency as a Spouse.

• Forms with Stat Decs from Applicant and Spouse

• UK and Australian Federal Police checks

• Copy of new and old passport, and marriage certificate

• Stat Dec – Friend 1

• Stat Dec – Friend 2

• Form 80

• Form 1221

• Joint bank account book

• Joint tenancy agreement for house

• Reservation from INDY, 2004

• Flight details – Melbourne, 2005

• Flight details and ticket copies – UK, 2006

• Accommodation booking for part of UK trip, 2006

• Telstra agreement from previous home

• Bank statements – Applicant – showing payment of joint bills

• Invoice for internet connection at current home

• Letters – Applicant’s family

• Wedding invitation from Friend – reason for trip to the UK

• Stat Dec from UK friend – copy from temp visa, plus new submission

• Change of details form – Applicant’s work

• Reference from Applicant’s supervisor

• Selection of photos

fin Feb 5th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4364864)
Here's my list:

Papers filed/attached to backup application for Permanent Residency as a Spouse.

• Forms with Stat Decs from Applicant and Spouse

• UK and Australian Federal Police checks

• Copy of new and old passport, and marriage certificate

• Stat Dec – Friend 1

• Stat Dec – Friend 2

• Form 80

• Form 1221

• Joint bank account book

• Joint tenancy agreement for house

• Reservation from INDY, 2004

• Flight details – Melbourne, 2005

• Flight details and ticket copies – UK, 2006

• Accommodation booking for part of UK trip, 2006

• Telstra agreement from previous home

• Bank statements – Applicant – showing payment of joint bills

• Invoice for internet connection at current home

• Letters – Applicant’s family

• Wedding invitation from Friend – reason for trip to the UK

• Stat Dec from UK friend – copy from temp visa, plus new submission

• Change of details form – Applicant’s work

• Reference from Applicant’s supervisor

• Selection of photos

Thanks so much!! You've been a great help!

As I've been compiling evidence for the last couple of years and already have most of it photocopied, I don't really have much left to do except police checks & medicals and of course filling out applications forms, oh ermm and stat decs from family friends & ourselves!

I'm so excited but also nervous. I worry that if it was rejected for some reason or another that I would never be able to return home! How horrible would that be??!! :(