Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship visa possible when already applied for general skilled visa?

Wikiposts

Sponsorship visa possible when already applied for general skilled visa?

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Black Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sponsorship visa possible when already applied for general skilled visa?

Hello Folks,

Hopefully someone will be able to help .... :-)

In the first week of last month (Nov) I completed my 47SK and sent it all off okay although not yet had an acknowledgement :-(

Anyway I know its going to be a while before this all goes through but applied for a job in WA last week where the employer expressed an interest in sponsoring the 'right' candidate. I don't want to get ahead of myself as it's unlikely I'll get the job, but wondered what the situation would be if I did. As I've already forked out for the skilled migration visa I dont want to jeopardise that and might consider not looking at the jobs offering possible sponsorship!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Black Dog.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 7:06 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship visa possible when already applied for general skilled visa?

Originally Posted by Black Dog
Hello Folks,

Hopefully someone will be able to help .... :-)

In the first week of last month (Nov) I completed my 47SK and sent it all off okay although not yet had an acknowledgement :-(

Anyway I know its going to be a while before this all goes through but applied for a job in WA last week where the employer expressed an interest in sponsoring the 'right' candidate. I don't want to get ahead of myself as it's unlikely I'll get the job, but wondered what the situation would be if I did. As I've already forked out for the skilled migration visa I dont want to jeopardise that and might consider not looking at the jobs offering possible sponsorship!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Black Dog.

Hi BD,

If your employer is in a regional area they can skill match you (ie convert your visa application from a 136 to a 134) but it seems to me that you'll be getting a request for medicals etc in the near future anyway. No limit to the number of applications you can lodge, even in the same subclass. We have had two pre-July applicants lodge further applications for subclass 136 visas to speed their processing, and of course you're also able to apply for any other class of visa you want. But in practical terms I can't see the point in preparing and submitting an employer nomination application if you're almost there.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Sponsorship visa possible when already applied for general skilled visa?

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi BD,

If your employer is in a regional area they can skill match you (ie convert your visa application from a 136 to a 134) but it seems to me that you'll be getting a request for medicals etc in the near future anyway. No limit to the number of applications you can lodge, even in the same subclass. We have had two pre-July applicants lodge further applications for subclass 136 visas to speed their processing, and of course you're also able to apply for any other class of visa you want. But in practical terms I can't see the point in preparing and submitting an employer nomination application if you're almost there.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hello George,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the key things I need to remember is that if I did (somehow!-hehe) get a job with an employer who is prepared to sponsor me, then this might speed up my skilled migration application and won't affect it in anyway.

Indeed, to me it does seem that unless I become desperate to go asap then I may as well wait for it to go through as it's all been pay for!

Thanks,

Black Dog.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

givemesunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Black Dog
Hello George,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the key things I need to remember is that if I did (somehow!-hehe) get a job with an employer who is prepared to sponsor me, then this might speed up my skilled migration application and won't affect it in anyway.

Indeed, to me it does seem that unless I become desperate to go asap then I may as well wait for it to go through as it's all been pay for!

Thanks,

Black Dog.
Hi Mr Dog,
I did a similar thing, applied for permanent residency, got bored of waiting so came here on a holiday visa! While here I got a job with sponsorship which covered me until the permanent visa came through. They’re completely independent and don’t have any effect on each other. When your permanent residency to stay in Australia is granted, you have to leave the country to get it (Aussie Logic!). I just went to NZ for a week.
Good luck,
Have a merry, cold, wet, Christmas!
Regards,
Nick
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by givemesunshine
Hi Mr Dog,
I did a similar thing, applied for permanent residency, got bored of waiting so came here on a holiday visa! While here I got a job with sponsorship which covered me until the permanent visa came through. They’re completely independent and don’t have any effect on each other. When your permanent residency to stay in Australia is granted, you have to leave the country to get it (Aussie Logic!). I just went to NZ for a week.
Good luck,
Have a merry, cold, wet, Christmas!
Regards,
Nick
Hehe, thats great to know from someone who's actually gone through the process- thanks for that Nick!

I'm not in a mad rush to go but the weather here is enough to make me change my mind :-) !!

Have a good one yourself,

Black Dog.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi BD,

If your employer is in a regional area they can skill match you (ie convert your visa application from a 136 to a 134) but it seems to me that you'll be getting a request for medicals etc in the near future anyway.
It actually gets converted to an offshore RSMS application, subclass 119.

No limit to the number of applications you can lodge, even in the same subclass. We have had two pre-July applicants lodge further applications for subclass 136 visas to speed their processing, and of course you're also able to apply for any other class of visa you want. But in practical terms I can't see the point in preparing and submitting an employer nomination application if you're almost there.

Cheers,

George Lombard

And it's important to be careful if applying for two visas at the same time. If the 'other' visa is a temporary one, and somehow DIMIA granted the skilled independent visa first, and then the temporary visa, you'd lose your PR in favour of a temporary visa with very limited rights.

Jeremy