Sponsoring Parents to Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:25 am
Just Joined

ahoy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sponsoring Parents to Australia

Dear All,

I have a question regarding which countries allow your parents to be able to re-unite with your family when you immigrate - any inputs you provide based on your experience is much appreciated.

My situation - my family unit is me, wife , and two kids in UK. My aged Mum for now lives in South Asia. I have been looking at options to move as well as bring the family closer.

How does this work in Australia please - do they allow PR holders to sponsor parent visas?

Regards
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Parents to Australia

Originally Posted by ahoy99
Dear All,

I have a question regarding which countries allow your parents to be able to re-unite with your family when you immigrate - any inputs you provide based on your experience is much appreciated.

My situation - my family unit is me, wife , and two kids in UK. My aged Mum for now lives in South Asia. I have been looking at options to move as well as bring the family closer.

How does this work in Australia please - do they allow PR holders to sponsor parent visas?

Regards
Hi, welcome to BE.

There are 3 visas that allow a parent to live in Australia permanently. Answer the questions in this link as if if were your mum answering them, and you'll be able to explore these 3 visa types https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...er/join-family

Australian permanent residents can sponsor for these visas, and each of the 3 visa types has additional criteria. The contributory parent visa is very expensive, the parent visa has an extremely long processing time, and the aged dependent relative visa's conditions mean your mum is unlikely to be eligible as she's not dependent on you.

Another option is a temporary sponsored parent visa which allows an initial stay in Australia of 3 or 5 years, and provision to apply for a further visa of the same type, for a total time in Australia not exceeding 10 years https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...y-870#Overview

I hope this info helps a bit.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 23rd 2021 at 10:41 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Parents to Australia

'Settled' Australian PR holders can sponsor parents where eligible and, as above, there are a variety of visa types aimed at different circumstances. One of the key eligibility criteria for some of the options is whether your mother would meet he 'Balance of Family' test - this relates to the overall number of children she (and any partner) may have, compared to the number of children that are classed as Australian.