Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring Family Members whilst Sponsored yourself ??

Wikiposts

Sponsoring Family Members whilst Sponsored yourself ??

Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Sponsoring Family Members whilst Sponsored yourself ??

We are about to have our PR visas issued under Subclass 139 (Skilled Designated Area Sponsored):

The visa is issued on the basis that for two years after receiving them our sponsoring family member is responsible for our financial support (although we are both employed and do not require any financial assistance from him).

Can we in turn sponsor other family members during this two year period, or do we have to wait until it is over before doing so ?

I know that we have to have Tax Assessments for 2 financial years before sponsoring which we do have, having lived and worked in Australia for the past 20 months on 136 Visas.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring Family Members whilst Sponsored yourself ??

How can you go from having a skilled Independent visa and already working and living in Australia for 20 months and than changing it to a 139 visa???

I can't answer your question but in case the experts say you can't sponsor relatives the first 2 years:

The family you have in Australia are allowed to sponsor more than 2 adults at once. So maybe they could help out once more!
But they can only assure 2 adults at once so you'll need a seperate assurer (who doesn't have to be related).

That is the route we are taking, or sponsor is my husbands brother. He is sponsoring 4 adults: his parents in law on a contributary parent visa and my husband and me on the 139 visa. We have a seperate assurer, a friend.

Last edited by marleintje; Jul 13th 2004 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sponsoring Family Members whilst Sponsored yourself ??

Originally posted by marleintje
How can you go from having a skilled Independent visa and already working and living in Australia for 20 months and than changing it to a 139 visa???

I can't answer your question but in case the experts say you can't sponsor relatives the first 2 years:

The family you have in Australia are allowed to sponsor more than 2 adults at once. So maybe they could help out once more!
But they can only assure 2 adults at once so you'll need a seperate assurer (who doesn't have to be related).

That is the route we are taking, or sponsor is my husbands brother. He is sponsoring 4 adults: his parents in law on a contributary parent visa and my husband and me on the 139 visa. We have a seperate assurer, a friend.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry my mistake we've been living anf working here on Employers sponsored 457 Visas (don't know why I typed 136 - it's been a long day !)