Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:14 am
al1
Just Joined

al1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SPONSORED 457 help please?

can you choose which city and state to live in with this visa? thanks
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPONSORED 457 help please?

Originally Posted by al1
can you choose which city and state to live in with this visa? thanks

You have to be wherever the job is, if you leave the job you are sponsored for then you either have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

Here's the info on this: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employee.htm
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you choose which city and state to live in with a SPONSORED 457?

you have to live and work where your sponsered job is
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:01 am
al1
Just Joined

thanks for the info, so for the 457 temp visa is it true you can choose which state you want to work and live in but the government choose a certain city in that state that you prefered? thanks because i was so confused.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you choose which city and state to live in with a SPONSORED 457?

Originally Posted by al1
thanks for the info, so for the 457 temp visa is it true you can choose which state you want to work and live in but the government choose a certain city in that state that you prefered? thanks because i was so confused.
The 457 visa is sponsored by an employer so unless you want a ridiculous commute, I would recommend living in the same state as said place of employment.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:57 am
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

You apply for a job first with an employer who is willing to sponsor you in the area in which you want to live/work. They then apply for sponsorship for you ie:457visa. When that has been approved you get a visa application TRN number which you use to apply on-line. If you are going down this route it is quite easy and straight forward and employer should be able to help you with the process especially if they already have prior approval.

Hope this helps

Julie.........going to Melbourne on a 457 sponsored visa as a midwife!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:00 am
al1
Just Joined

thanks for the help, well for example i was told that if i choose a state such as nsw, then would the employer sponsor me from one of the 3 major cities there? or other places within the state? because someone told me that u can choose the state you want to prefer working in but is that true? im just really confused
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:11 am
al1
Just Joined

thanks for the help, first of all, how should i apply for the job? does my occupation details have to be on a certain list? and then do i apply for the job as soon the employer is interested? how long does it take before employers sponsor you? how long for you? also about moving there, like are you allowed to rent or buy a house or do the employers help you out with that? and how long will they let you settle in before starting your job??

now i understand, someone a while ago told me the wrong things, ok so for example then just say i would like to work in sydney, do i have to let them know by saying the city name or would i have to say NSW instead? thanks for the info it was very clear and helpful, congrats for your job i have family in melbourne aswell.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:40 am
al1
Just Joined

also before u make the move, do u have to buy or rent a house or do the employers help out with that? thanks for your help because i been told different things so i was confused
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:42 am
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

I noticed you posted a question re nursing so are you a student nurse/qualified nurse or thinking of becoming one?

If you are a nurse then you apply either to a hospital/hospitals direct for sponsorship or via a nursing agency. If you apply to a hospital and get offered a post then they apply for 457 sponsorship as my last reply and you have to work for them, at that hospital, in that city/state. You can apply through a nursing agency who will ask you your preferences and they will try to find vacancies that fit your rquirements. They put you forward for interview and the process continues. The advantage of applying via an agency is that they will then help you with visa and state registration for nursing board.

Any clearer?

Julie
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:47 am
Registered madwife!

Some employers will offer relocation packages and help with accomodation for 1st month, meet you at airport etc, depends on employer. My sponsors have given me the choice of $1500 relocation grant or 1 month free accomodation. As we will be staying with relatives in first instance, I'm taking the $1500 thank you.

You then find somewhere to rent on your own or you can buy a house. If going on a temp457 visa you are not allowed to go and buy a resale house without permission from foriegn investment board but you can buy a new build.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsjulie
Some employers will offer relocation packages and help with accomodation for 1st month, meet you at airport etc, depends on employer. My sponsors have given me the choice of $1500 relocation grant or 1 month free accomodation. As we will be staying with relatives in first instance, I'm taking the $1500 thank you.

You then find somewhere to rent on your own or you can buy a house. If going on a temp457 visa you are not allowed to go and buy a resale house without permission from foriegn investment board but you can buy a new build.
sorry julie thats wrong you can buy a new build or a older resale house it just has to be your only home and you have to get permission form the foreign investtment board its the same form you just tick the resale box

tiff
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

johnny825 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

New to this forum. Forgive me for replying to a dead thread, but I've been wondering about this question too ("Do you have to live in a particular place on a 457?"), and the answer here doesn't seem right. That is, if you look at the visa conditions (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employee.htm), there isn't anything about your location in there. Unless you have a regional concession, but that's a different story.

Anyway, the way I read it, the only condition is that you not change employers. If they want you to be in a particular place, it sounds like that's been you and them--Immigration isn't involved. Is that right? I'm hoping it is, because I'm here on a 457 visa, and I want to move. My employer is in a small town, and I want to move to a big one. That's fine with them; I'm just hoping it's fine with Immigration too.

-Johnny