Wikiposts

Sorry for my ignorance...

Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

gypsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry for my ignorance...

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to be asking questions that are probably so obvious to most of you. I hope you don't mind but could I have your opinion

We've had our visa application in for Canada for the past year but we're having a big change of heart and seriously want to withdraw and apply for Australia.

We've been to both places which are both great in there own ways but decided on Canada in the end as its that much closer to home. We've now thought about it a great deal and would love to go to Australia. I spent a year backpacking there and always loved the way/pace of life (my husband always thought it was that bit too far). It is far but I think you have to make the most of life that suits you and your family. We've since had 2 little boys and cannot face the thought of them growing up here.

The problem is I don't know if we'll be eligible to apply. That is why I thought i'd ask the kind people on this forum for their advice.

I have a degree that i got in 1995 and have 8 years IT experience working as a software tester. The only thing is i went on maternity leave in Oct 2005 and haven't worked since as I had my second baby too.
Does this mean I can't apply as I don't have recent working experience? Would they take into account my working history prior to having the children?

Also, my husband has over 15 years experience as a CAD technician but doesn't have a degree. He has a diploma. Can you only apply if you have a degree?

Sorry for being a pain but i really would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you.

x
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry for my ignorance...

www.immi.gov.au for immigration
www.acs.org.au for skills assessment requirements
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:35 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya!

I don't have anything to add to the very useful websites listed by Dorothy but just wanted to say Welcome! There's a ton of great info on here and never be afraid to ask! We've just been granted our visa and I asked I don't know how many questions, sure I drove people nuts

Have you any idea what part of Oz you'd like to go to yet?

Tx
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:18 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gypsy
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to be asking questions that are probably so obvious to most of you. I hope you don't mind but could I have your opinion

We've had our visa application in for Canada for the past year but we're having a big change of heart and seriously want to withdraw and apply for Australia.

We've been to both places which are both great in there own ways but decided on Canada in the end as its that much closer to home. We've now thought about it a great deal and would love to go to Australia. I spent a year backpacking there and always loved the way/pace of life (my husband always thought it was that bit too far). It is far but I think you have to make the most of life that suits you and your family. We've since had 2 little boys and cannot face the thought of them growing up here.

The problem is I don't know if we'll be eligible to apply. That is why I thought i'd ask the kind people on this forum for their advice.

I have a degree that i got in 1995 and have 8 years IT experience working as a software tester. The only thing is i went on maternity leave in Oct 2005 and haven't worked since as I had my second baby too.
Does this mean I can't apply as I don't have recent working experience? Would they take into account my working history prior to having the children?

Also, my husband has over 15 years experience as a CAD technician but doesn't have a degree. He has a diploma. Can you only apply if you have a degree?

x
To be eligible, you have to fulfil ONE of these requirements (as well as other like age<45, occupation, IELTS, etc)

1. Two year study in Aus, OR
2. 12/24 months immideatly preceding the application, you must have been in paid full time employment in your nominated or any occupation on SOL.. ( For MODL points u must work in your nominated occupation).

So that disqualifies you as the main applicant.

Your husband can look into being assessed as any of the following occupations (or any other SOL occupation where job duties are similar to his current job)

1. Mechanical Engineering Associate 3125-11

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...te-3125-11.htm

2. Engineer- Engineering Technologists not elsewhere classified 2128-79
http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...ec-2128-79.htm

With 15 years experience he should have no trouble getting the required 120 points .. or you always have the option of seeking state sponsership that has a lower pass mark..
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:23 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Hi there,

x
Sorry for the double post..

Just thought you might find the following info interesting.

Engineering Associates
The benchmark qualification for admission as an engineering associate is the AQF-6 Advanced Diploma of Engineering, formerly the Associate Diploma of Engineering, awarded by the various State Departments of Technical and Further Education in Australia. However, programs leading to these awards permit very wide choices of subject units. Engineers Australia considers most available combinations of units as constituting satisfactory engineering qualifications, but some possible combinations are considered to be too diffuse or as not providing sufficient fundamental knowledge of engineering principles.
Since individual programs can vary so greatly, holders of these qualifications are asked to provide listings of the units comprising their Diploma program, for individual approval. Occasionally candidates may be asked to undertake further units before being regarded as qualified for admission to Engineers Australia.
Equivalent titles Some countries use different terminologies. For example, engineering associates in several countries are called Engineering Technicians, and in New Zealand are called Associate Engineers. At present (2008), Engineers Australia admits engineering associates to membership under the title Engineering Officer; this may change to Engineering Associate in the future.

Link to the source here http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...iteName=ieaust
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much guys for the invaluable information you have provided. This gives me a starting point.

I have another question. I did one of those online assessment things where an advisor looks at the info and rings back to let u know if you'd be eligible or not. The guy said we couldn't continue as my husband has a diploma not a degree. Are they really strict about the type of qualification you hold even though you have so many years experience in the field?

Also, whilst traveling thru oz on a working visa, my husband worked as a CAD technician in Sydney. It was only for 3 months but would this be considered?

Sorry to be a pain
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedT
Hiya!

I don't have anything to add to the very useful websites listed by Dorothy but just wanted to say Welcome! There's a ton of great info on here and never be afraid to ask! We've just been granted our visa and I asked I don't know how many questions, sure I drove people nuts

Have you any idea what part of Oz you'd like to go to yet?

Tx
Hiya T,

Thanks so much! Its fab news about your visa. How cool!
We would love to either go to Adelaide (where we first met) or Perth. I just hope the diploma thing isn't an issue that goes against us cuz i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaalllllllllly wannna go 2 Oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What part are you planning to move to? Would love to hear about your plans. How exciting

x
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much guys for the invaluable information you have provided. This gives me a starting point.

I have another question. I did one of those online assessment things where an advisor looks at the info and rings back to let u know if you'd be eligible or not. The guy said we couldn't continue as my husband has a diploma not a degree. Are they really strict about the type of qualification you hold even though you have so many years experience in the field?

Also, whilst traveling thru oz on a working visa, my husband worked as a CAD technician in Sydney. It was only for 3 months but would this be considered?

Sorry to be a pain
Read the ACS website for what you need to do to be successful with the skills assessment.