Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sorry, another 457 query from a stresshead!

Wikiposts

Sorry, another 457 query from a stresshead!

Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:02 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all
Default Sorry, another 457 query from a stresshead!

Hi All,

What exactly happens with a 457 visa?
Could anyone say what the process was?

i.e. did someone get in touch, how do you actually get the visa? do you send your passports off or is it sent in the post, or do you have to go somehwere to collect?

I cannot find this info out anywhere, even on the immi site.

Thanks Gary
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:05 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, another 457 query from a stresshead!

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi All,

What exactly happens with a 457 visa?
Could anyone say what the process was?

i.e. did someone get in touch, how do you actually get the visa? do you send your passports off or is it sent in the post, or do you have to go somehwere to collect?

I cannot find this info out anywhere, even on the immi site.

Thanks Gary
Hi Gary,

Your sponsor and/or migration agent should be advising you. For a 457 visa from an ETA eligible country you should just get an email saying that the visa has been granted and that you can collect the label after arrival in Australia. But no point getting stressed when there are those who have a vested interest in keeping you happy, ie the potential employer and relevant migration advisor :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:11 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Thanks George,

So we do not actually get a visa, we just get stamped on the way into Aus?

In that case how does that work with my previous post about visiting Aus on a tourist visa until the 457 is granted, could we just go to NZ and back and re-enter on the visa?

Am under some pressure to get to Aus as soon as possible, my employers are in the dark having never done this before.

I have added pressure that i need to be in NZ for a conference on the 20th Feb and we were hoping that our visa would have been granted by then, i do not want to go all the way out there only to come back 2 days later, was hoping we would both go the NZ on route to Aus.

Thanks Gary
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:46 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks George,

In that case how does that work with my previous post about visiting Aus on a tourist visa until the 457 is granted, could we just go to NZ and back and re-enter on the visa?

Am under some pressure to get to Aus as soon as possible, my employers are in the dark having never done this before.

I have added pressure that i need to be in NZ for a conference on the 20th Feb and we were hoping that our visa would have been granted by then, i do not want to go all the way out there only to come back 2 days later, was hoping we would both go the NZ on route to Aus.

Thanks Gary
Hi Gary,

Sorry, if your employers have never done this before they're mad not to use an agent - timeline is certainly viable but too many variables concerning processing.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

Thanks George,

Thanks Gary
Hi,

I was on a Dependant Student Visa (wife doing PHD and I was on open Work Permit) when I got the job and they decided to sponsor me for 457, in my case, they hired an agent because they wanted to go through the safest way. First company had to apply for a Business Sponsorship License which gives them facility to hire someone on 457 visa.

I think it took them somewhere around 2 weeks to get License and then another week for my 457 visa.

In our case, we did not have to travel out of Australia and we just wento to the Immigration Office in Gold Coast and they cancelled the previous visas and stamped new (457) visas in passports.

Too easy.

Ghanghro