British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Some Immigration Agents - Beware! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/some-immigration-agents-beware-603419/)

Vegemite Apr 14th 2009 6:33 am

Some Immigration Agents - Beware!

Just a warning to people about some immigration agents.

Make sure you get a written quote for the services provided from the beginning. Our agent (who shall remain un-named) but is based in Brisbane, gave us a quote over the phone, when we were overseas, (ie not in Australia), then claimed that the real fee was a couple of thousand dollars more than quoted, after we had arrived in Oz.
When we stood up to the agent, we found him consistently to be a liar about the original situation, and we had to be very assertive (it's a good thing we could speak english...what about the poor people who are not very confident), and yes, we too found that they got back to us only when they felt like it.

They also wanted to charge ridiculously expensive fees for tasks that took us half an hour to complete ourselves.

We regret that we used an agent at all. We would have saved a lot of time, money and tears if we hadn't of.

All I can say is...make sure you quote the code of conduct to them, don't take any crap, and make sure you complain about them to the body that regulates the industry when you can! Oh yeah, and if you are an organised person who is good at research (it's not that hard), my advice to you is....DO IT YOURSELF!

Pollyana Apr 14th 2009 6:43 am

Re: Some Immigration Agents - Beware!

Originally Posted by Vegemite (Post 7478048)

Make sure you get a written quote for the services provided from the beginning. Our agent (who shall remain un-named) but is based in Brisbane, gave us a quote over the phone, when we were overseas, (ie not in Australia), then claimed that the real fee was a couple of thousand dollars more than quoted, after we had arrived in Oz.
When we stood up to the agent, we found him consistently to be a liar about the original situation, and we had to be very assertive (it's a good thing we could speak english...what about the poor people who are not very confident), and yes, we too found that they got back to us only when they felt like it.

They also wanted to charge ridiculously expensive fees for tasks that took us half an hour to complete ourselves.

We regret that we used an agent at all. We would have saved a lot of time, money and tears if we hadn't of.

All I can say is...make sure you quote the code of conduct to them, don't take any crap, and make sure you complain about them to the body that regulates the industry when you can! Oh yeah, and if you are an organised person who is good at research (it's not that hard), my advice to you is....DO IT YOURSELF!

Is the agent registered? If so, report them to MARA.

letusenjoy79 Apr 14th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Vegemite (Post 7478048)

I hope that ur agent was not a MARA agent, as they are not supposed to act in such a manner

Pollyana Apr 14th 2009 11:22 am

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 7478345)
I hope that ur agent was not a MARA agent, as they are not supposed to act in such a manner

Which is why people are advised to use MARA agents. If this one was registered then he should be reported to them.

Pietie Apr 14th 2009 1:37 pm

I'm speaking under correction, but if the agent is based in Australia, (in this case Brisbane), aren't they required by Australian law to be registered with Mara?

caroline77 Apr 17th 2009 9:27 pm

Hi, has anyone heard of the immigration agents 'emigrating solutions' who are based in cornwall? We want to start using them, but want as much info as possible before handing money over, which is understandable. My first time on a forum so please bear with me. We desperately need a reputable agent as we trust no one and it is such a large amount of money to have an agent handling your application for a visa. Many thanks in advance.

home alone Apr 18th 2009 4:16 am

Originally Posted by caroline77 (Post 7489372)
Hi, has anyone heard of the immigration agents 'emigrating solutions' who are based in cornwall? We want to start using them, but want as much info as possible before handing money over, which is understandable. My first time on a forum so please bear with me. We desperately need a reputable agent as we trust no one and it is such a large amount of money to have an agent handling your application for a visa. Many thanks in advance.

:)Hi! We live in Cornwall, too!

We use GoMatilda, they are good, and also recommended by a lot of people on expats.

Regards

varsanik Apr 18th 2009 7:38 am

www.gomatilda.com Very professional and highly recommended on this and other forums. Reasonably priced and only depart with your money in stages.

Jen1977ni Apr 18th 2009 8:08 am

Or you could do what a lot of people do, and save yourself a lot of money, by doing it all yourself with the help of this forum! We're all here to offer advice as best we can, and if we don't know the answer, we'll know someone who does!!! lol :thumbsup:

yakka and Deb Apr 18th 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 7490368)
Or you could do what a lot of people do, and save yourself a lot of money, by doing it all yourself with the help of this forum! We're all here to offer advice as best we can, and if we don't know the answer, we'll know someone who does!!! lol :thumbsup:

I agree DO IT YOURSELF, that way noone can rip you off...!!

Although the wife has recently put the housekeeping up ..... :blink::blink:

Jen1977ni Apr 18th 2009 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by yakka and Deb (Post 7490608)
I agree DO IT YOURSELF, that way noone can rip you off...!!

Although the wife has recently put the housekeeping up ..... :blink::blink:

lol :p

pokerface Apr 18th 2009 5:43 pm

We used Visa Bureau. Found them excellent & very professional. We wouldn't have our visa without their help. The only downside was that they used paper based application & we were unable to check progress, although I think they might use the online service now. Fees are payable in 2 stages.

Davy Apr 18th 2009 7:01 pm

We used Exclusive migration in Brisbane. The girl who dealt with us, Lisa O'hara was excellent. Everything was done via phone/email. Not too expensive either. To be honest we think off her as a friend now. From application to 176 Grant in 7 months. Vetassess included.:thumbup:
[email protected]
I don't think we'd have our visa's so quickly, what with all the changes if it wasn't for her.:thumbsup:

We originally enquired with Global visa's based in London but to be honest the guy tortured me with phone calls after my inital enquiry and just seemed to want payment up front for everything. Then he said once we pay we'll be past onto a consultant. Seemed a bit dodgy in the way he spoke.
PROMISE YOU THE WORLD TO GET YOUR POUND.
In the end I had to tell him to'F*%K OFF and leave me alone' :frown:Think he must have worked in double glazing before.:eek:

:thumbsup:Davy:thumbsup: