Baby on board

Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

phillips_75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby on board

Hi everyone,

My partner is an Aussie and we've been living together for quite a few years now, and we're planning on moving to Oz - we have plenty of evidence that our relationship is genuine, so I'm planning on applying for a subclass 309/100 De Facto visa (she actually has permanent residency here in the UK on a similar basis).

I've started filling in the paperwork but in the meantime we've had some good news and she is pregnant (she had the 20-week scan yesterday).

The baby is due in April and there is no desperate rush to apply, so I'm wondering whether I'm better off waiting until April and declaring we have a dependent, or applying straight away but mentioning that she is pregnant in the "Additional Info"?

My first thoughts are that waiting for the baby applying then would keep the application cleaner. What would your thoughts be on this please?

I'm very grateful for your help, and looking forward to joining those of you who are already lucky enough to be out there in the future!

Thanks,

Peter
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby on board

Won't make any difference, as you should be able to apply for Australian citizenship for the baby. Therefore the baby won't need a visa. It certainly wouldn't hurt the application to say that you're expecting a baby together.

If you've been together for more than 3 years you'll get permanent residency granted without a baby - with a baby from the relationship it's 2 years.

Is your partner going to apply for British citizenship before you move over? It would be a good idea for her to obtain it.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

If you have all your evidence together, it sounds like you'll be ok. I'm here on a BC100, wife is Aussie and we have a son together (he was 1yo on Monday, we've been here for 3 months now). Have been married for 4 years before coming to Oz - but even with all that evidence of our permanent and continuing relationship, there was a six month period where we had neglected to provide any documentary evidence. Our case officer said that basically we needed to prove that we had not split up at ANY time. Despite being together, and proven so, for 8 years previously, we still had to find evidence for that particular six month period. It was a bit tought too because by then all our bank statements, many bills, etc. were electronic and we had to arrange duplicates. It was a pain in the arse frankly, but what the CO wants, the CO gets - the application was held up until we had given him what he wanted - but of course it is worth it in the end!

For what its worth, we made sure that we arranged Aussie citizenship and an Aussie (and UK too) passport for our boy well before we came out. Like the roaringmouse said, it means the sprog won't need a visa, and generally makes life easier (plus opens up the world a bit more for him in future). I guess it is not likely you will come out before your baby is born, so I highly recommend getting the passport/citizenship as something to do sooner rather than later.

Incidentally, at passport control (in Sydney at least) the line for the Aussies now says "Aussies and family" so you get through much quicker too because the queues are MUCH shorter than the one for other international arrivals.

Congratulations on the pregnancy by the way. Hope all goes well. All the stories you hear about sleepless nights, poo, vomit, nappy leaks, getting peed on, etc. etc. are all true I'm afraid... but the joy is like nothing else . Look on Amazon or your favourite bookshop for the "Blokes guide to pregnancy". Its not a fluffy girl-type book. Its written by a bloke, for blokes, tells you what's going on, all from a bloke point of view. Whilst my wife had the Heidi Murkoff "What to expect when your expecting" (which is also a great reference) which is many inches thick and more detailed, this blokes guide is much thinner, accessible, and appeals to our attention span. *End of sales pitch* and no I'm not the author or related or linked in any way!

Good luck with everything
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

phillips_75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

That's interesting what you say about the six month gap - it'll be harder and harder to provide evidence as more stuff moves online I guess. We've got folders and folders of stuff and when we took it all to immigration in Glasgow for my other half's UK residency, they just took one look at it and said that's fine!