So... What are my cchances then??

Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

James O85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question So... What are my cchances then??

Hi all, I am new here, but can already see this being an invaluable resource for me over the coming months (years perhaps!!).

Myself and my partner have decided to start a new life in Australia. Probably Perth. Obtaining a VISA is not necessary for my partner, as she is Australian. I am however wondering if my profile is what the australian government is looking for.

I am 23 years old and work as a Quality Assurance Engineer in Airbus UK.

Would this fall under aeronautical engineering, or as a separate branch?

I qualified from a Higher Engineering Apprenticeship (HEA) scheme which comprised of the following qualifications (some handy, others not so handy):

Foundation Degree in Aeronautical Engineering Manufacture,

NVQ Level 4 - Engineering Leadership,

NVQ Level 2 - Performing Engineering Operations (Turning, Milling, Bench Fitting, Pneumatics, Hydraulics, electric systems, CAD/CAM)

National Certificate - Aerostructures

Key Skills Lv 3 - IT, Working with others, Communication, Application of Number, Personal development.

The scheme consisted of the above units to mak one big qualification (the HEA).

Worryingly, I have noticed that a lot of the skills assessment bodies require the applicant to be educated to degree standard. Would my qualifications be considered as "close enough" or is there a solid line drawn?

I have 3 years experience working in an engineering manufacturing environment.

Any thoughts and opinions from yourselves would be much appreciated as the skills assessment part of my VISA application is the bit I am worrying about the most. Mainly as I dont have a full degree.

Thanks for reading and special thanks to anyone kind enough to reply,

James
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So... What are my cchances then??

Originally Posted by James O85
Hi all, I am new here, but can already see this being an invaluable resource for me over the coming months (years perhaps!!).

Myself and my partner have decided to start a new life in Australia. Probably Perth. Obtaining a VISA is not necessary for my partner, as she is Australian. I am however wondering if my profile is what the australian government is looking for.

I am 23 years old and work as a Quality Assurance Engineer in Airbus UK.

Would this fall under aeronautical engineering, or as a separate branch?

I qualified from a Higher Engineering Apprenticeship (HEA) scheme which comprised of the following qualifications (some handy, others not so handy):

Foundation Degree in Aeronautical Engineering Manufacture,

NVQ Level 4 - Engineering Leadership,

NVQ Level 2 - Performing Engineering Operations (Turning, Milling, Bench Fitting, Pneumatics, Hydraulics, electric systems, CAD/CAM)

National Certificate - Aerostructures

Key Skills Lv 3 - IT, Working with others, Communication, Application of Number, Personal development.

The scheme consisted of the above units to mak one big qualification (the HEA).

Worryingly, I have noticed that a lot of the skills assessment bodies require the applicant to be educated to degree standard. Would my qualifications be considered as "close enough" or is there a solid line drawn?

I have 3 years experience working in an engineering manufacturing environment.

Any thoughts and opinions from yourselves would be much appreciated as the skills assessment part of my VISA application is the bit I am worrying about the most. Mainly as I dont have a full degree.

Thanks for reading and special thanks to anyone kind enough to reply,

James
Your good mate.

A Trade is worth more than a Degree down under especially if you are a native english speaker, As far as I know Aeronautical Engineering is worth 60 points and is done by the Trades Recognition Australia check out the occupation list http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Your good mate.

A Trade is worth more than a Degree down under especially if you are a native english speaker, As far as I know Aeronautical Engineering is worth 60 points and is done by the Trades Recognition Australia check out the occupation list http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf
Thank you. That's very reassuring to hear!

I actually have that form saved on my pc! I was just a bit confused as to what category my qualifications would sit under though.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Have you looked at the possibility of going in via your partner's Australian citizenship.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Your good mate.

Thanks! I feel much reassured now!

Checking out the Trades Recognition Australia website out - looks promising so far....
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Have you looked at the possibility of going in via your partner's Australian citizenship.
Hi, We havn't really explored that option in too much depth. I read into it a little and it seemed to me that we would need to provide evidence of co-habitation. We don't live together, so i thought I had ran down a dead nnd.

...unless there was something I failed to notice?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by James O85
Hi, We havn't really explored that option in too much depth. I read into it a little and it seemed to me that we would need to provide evidence of co-habitation. We don't live together, so i thought I had ran down a dead nnd.

...unless there was something I failed to notice?

Safer to go on your own merits, Your Trade, Qualification, and Age are in your favour.

Plus no one can for see the future, and relationships can breakdown
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: So... What are my chances then??

Safer to go on your own merits, Your Trade, Qualification, and Age are in your favour.

Plus no one can for see the future, and relationships can breakdown
Yeah, i thought that too. I think i'd get a better sense of well being knowing I did it on my merits. Just me, but I prefer to remain independent where I can.