And so the wait begins.....

Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

AussieNikki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And so the wait begins.....

So I sent off my RRV application on Monday special delivery which arrived at Australia House yesterday morning. Their website says current processing time is within 7 working days. Very nervous as I worked so hard on my application and now its out of my control. I sent along as supporting evidence the following:
Statements to back up my substantial ties to australia and compelling reason for absense.
Statements from my partner and best friend
Partners birth cert as he is an Australian Citizen
Sister's PR proof
My old australian school records
a letter confirming assistance to gain work once there from a recruitment agency
Photographs of myself with my partner, sister, niece, best friends etc
International movement record
Centrelink number
Letter from medicare confirming registered in program as PR
Statement from my mum confirming the reason I came back to the UK

Hoping I've done enough to back up my ties to Australia and reasons for leaving in the first place. Time to wait now.

Thanks for everyones support since I started this journey
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:00 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And so the wait begins.....

Again, you never answer the question in your previous thread, when you were in Oz last, did you use tourist visa? If so you may have cancelled your PR...
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Teza

sorry, didnt realise I'd been asked that question. Yes I did go back on a tourist visa, but thats because my PR expired about 5 years ago.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:01 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Then most likely your tourist visa over ruled your PR, therefore cancelled it and nothing to apply RRV for. More knowledgable people will be along when Oz reaches morning but from previous postings of other users I'm afraid that by getting tourist visa you there fore cancelled out the old PR....
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

this doesnt make sense. If my PR expired 5 years ago, then how could another visa cancel it out if it was already expired? also, if my PR was expired, then how else could I travel to Australia on holiday without a visitor visa??? and why would the immigration dept advise me to apply for an RRV?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Your previous PR visa hadn't expired (it is permanent after all!), simply the ability to reenter Australia had. So if you had not applied for a tourist visa, you would still have PR, just no way of getting back to Australia without a RRV. And most people who answer the phones in the Australian immigration department aren't that knowledgeable.

That said, I vaguely recall that the guru round here, JAJ, said that the oft-quoted rule that a subsequent tourist visa cancels an earlier PR one is a myth. I can't find the thread I was thinking of and I may be imagining it, but hopefully either JAJ will chance upon this thread or someone else will find the thread I am looking for.

Good luck either way and let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi Louie
thanks for your input. I really hope this is not the case. I have put a lot of hard work into my RRV application and back up documentation. I feel like I've just lost all hope today, if this is the case. I will let you know how I get on. But not feeling very hopeful now. They should make this a bit clearer then from the immigration dept side of things. But I cant seem to find any information on the website about this or in general.

Thanks again and hopefully someone can help me with the answer

Nikki
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieNikki
Hi Louie
thanks for your input. I really hope this is not the case. I have put a lot of hard work into my RRV application and back up documentation. I feel like I've just lost all hope today, if this is the case. I will let you know how I get on. But not feeling very hopeful now. They should make this a bit clearer then from the immigration dept side of things. But I cant seem to find any information on the website about this or in general.

Nikki
We have had posters woth both experiences, some have had their PR cancelled, some have managed to get a RRV. Have to wait and see.
Sounds like you could get a Spouse Visa though, if you have lost your PR, so you are luckier than some
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieNikki
Hi Louie

Nikki
Yes I think it was me that asked odd you apply for a tourist visa. Your PR has not expired, p being for p for permanent.

Still like Louie, I also recall something about the tourist visa not over riding a more favourable visa, so it was t necessarily cancelled. Your evidence seems ok to me, I think you will get it. As Polly says, if not, partner visa it is.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bermuda. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a daunting and nervous time for me. I just want things to go well, and dont really want to have to wait longer than necessary. I guess as my partner says, we cant do anything until we get an answer now. Just got to hold tight. thanks again