Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

SkillSelect - New Visa Subclasses from 1st July 2012

SkillSelect - New Visa Subclasses from 1st July 2012

Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:30 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SkillSelect - New Visa Subclasses from 1st July 2012

Originally Posted by newaussy
it's ok.

I guess 190 is a replacement of 176, but when we apply under 176 we can apply even if our occupation is not on schedule 1.

I'm not sure whether we'll be able to do that after July 2012.

the 190 visa description is not clear

Requirements

Nomination by a state/territory government.
Invitation to apply.
Meet points test pass mark.
Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list.Hold a suitable skills assessment.
Under 50 years of age.
At least competent English.
Other standard requirements including health and character.

not sure what relevant list they are talking about
I've not come across anything expounding on what they mean by 'relevant skilled occupation lists' so far. At the moment, I'm just going with the current SOLs, but obviously they can change. I'll keep a look out for any further information.

(Maybe it's referring to the current differences - i.e. if your occupation is on schedule two, you can't go for a permanent, independent visa, but if it's on schedule one, you can).

The more I think about it, the more I think that it's no different from now. You have to nominate a skill from a relevant SOL currently.

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Apr 11th 2012 at 4:39 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

newaussy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I've not come across anything expounding on what they mean by 'relevant skilled occupation lists' so far. At the moment, I'm just going with the current SOLs, but obviously they can change. I'll keep a look out for any further information.

(Maybe it's referring to the current differences - i.e. if your occupation is on schedule two, you can't go for a permanent, independent visa, but if it's on schedule one, you can).

The more I think about it, the more I think that it's no different from now. You have to nominate a skill from a relevant SOL currently.
Yeah, that makes sense. thanks a lot for your time and reply
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:52 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newaussy
Yeah, that makes sense. thanks a lot for your time and reply
No problem. Good luck!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

j007skywalker is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been trying to get to Australia for 7 years, even became a hairdresser as it was seemingly never off the wanted list....what happens...I get the qualifications and experience I need and it's taken off the list!

Any news as to if it will be on there this year.....any help and pointers I could get to get me on that plane would be amazing!!! xoxo
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by j007skywalker
I have been trying to get to Australia for 7 years, even became a hairdresser as it was seemingly never off the wanted list....what happens...I get the qualifications and experience I need and it's taken off the list!

Any news as to if it will be on there this year.....any help and pointers I could get to get me on that plane would be amazing!!! xoxo
It's on schedule two of the SOL (page seven), so you could go for a 489 (replacement for the 475) with state sponsorship. It's provisional (up to four years), or you could go for a 190 (replacement for the 176) with state sponsorship. It's permanent residence. You'd be tied to the state for two years, but I don't think that's a huge sacrifice considering they'd be sponsoring you!

You'll need to get your skills assessed by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA). Also have a look at taking the IELTS test.

Obviously the SOL could change, so there are no guarantees it'll be there the next time they review the SOL. So, for now, it is there. Good luck!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I must have read this wrong, I thought if you hold a valid UK passport then your exempt from the IELTS test?

Or is this a requirement for the skills assessment from whichever, body i.e ANMC?

Many thanks
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi

I must have read this wrong, I thought if you hold a valid UK passport then your exempt from the IELTS test?

Or is this a requirement for the skills assessment from whichever, body i.e ANMC?

Many thanks
If you don't need the points, then a relevant passport can be used to exempt yourself from the test. You wouldn't get any points for using the passport. Some people find that they need the extra points to get to 65. Some states require IELTS, but you'd have to check whichever assessing authority you'd be using to determine if they need it or not.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:49 am
Just Joined

lizlockwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any way of getting around the 2 years experience in my current job? I'm a midwife and I already know I won't be going back to the UK so I just wanted to get on with gaining my permanent residency! I'm currently on a 457 visa...
Thankyou so much!
Liz x
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:24 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizlockwood
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any way of getting around the 2 years experience in my current job? I'm a midwife and I already know I won't be going back to the UK so I just wanted to get on with gaining my permanent residency! I'm currently on a 457 visa...
Thankyou so much!
Liz x
if you have a employer sponsored PR (aka ENS visa) in mind, they do not have to wait for 2 years to sponsor you, they could start the process any time they want. Working for them for 2 years exempts you from the skills assessment, that's all it does and if you thought different, you were probably misguided at some point. So in the context of employer sponsored PR getting around 2 years experience would mean passing a skills assessment in addition to all the rest of eligibility requirements.

or, if you were thinking independent PR, you can apply any time yourself, if you meet the criteria, and one of the first steps is the same skills assessment as for the ENS visa. 2 years experience is probably not a roadblock here either, because this visa is points tested and if you can get enough points to meet the passmark without having tons of years of experience, you;d only need to show the minimum of 12 months out of recent 24 in your occupation.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

thefrnd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Hopefully I am going to get the visa soon, that applied on last September and which is visa subclass 475.

But can anybody please point me to the pathway for a PR from current 475 to the new changed visas from 1st of July ?

As currently, for those who have 475 can apply for a PR visa[I'm not sure now but it's 886 I guess] after living in a regional area for 2 years and working for 1 years within 3 years of time period.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by thefrnd
Hi there,
Hopefully I am going to get the visa soon, that applied on last September and which is visa subclass 475.

But can anybody please point me to the pathway for a PR from current 475 to the new changed visas from 1st of July ?

As currently, for those who have 475 can apply for a PR visa[I'm not sure now but it's 886 I guess] after living in a regional area for 2 years and working for 1 years within 3 years of time period.
It's the 887 that you can go for after you have lived & worked in a regional area for the requisite length of time.
Old May 4th 2012, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

thefrnd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mrsgreenstar76,
Thanks a lot for so quick a reply.
So, 887 is remaining the same after this coming July, right ? at least for me, not until now for a 475 holder ?
Old May 4th 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by thefrnd
Hi mrsgreenstar76,
Thanks a lot for so quick a reply.
So, 887 is remaining the same after this coming July, right ? at least for me, not until now for a 475 holder ?
No problem. As far as I'm aware it is. I just looked at the information for the 489 (which is the replacement for the 475), and it still lists the 887 as the pathway to PR. Obviously that could change in future, but that's what's listed there currently.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

mariner is a jewel in the roughmariner is a jewel in the roughmariner is a jewel in the roughmariner is a jewel in the roughmariner is a jewel in the rough

I am a potential applicant for 475 (relative sponsored) currently waiting for my qualification/skill assessment. I am able to just manage 65 points with relative sponsorship at this point of time. My query is this- Under the skillselect system if I lodge an EOI for 489 then subsequently after a better IELTS score (8s) or state sponsorship, will it be possible to change the EOI to 189/190? Senior forum members kindly advice.

Last edited by mariner; May 8th 2012 at 9:32 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mariner
I am a potential applicant for 475 (relative sponsored) currently waiting for my qualification/skill assessment. I am able to just manage 65 points with relative sponsorship at this point of time. My query is this- Under the skillselect system if I lodge an EOI for 489 then subsequently after a better IELTS score (8s) or state sponsorship, will it be possible to change the EOI to 189/190? Senior forum members kindly advice.
Surprisingly enough, the answer seems to be yes. Not entirely sure about the family sponsor to state sponsor, or actually changing visa subclass, but it doesn't seem to preclude it.

When you complete your EOI the system will give you a points score and results based on your claims.

Your result and points score, along with your time of submission becomes your ranking for some visas. The ranking process will be an objective and automatic process with no involvement of the department’s staff.

You can update your EOI at any time prior to receiving an invitation. You may wish to do this if you have gained new work experience, gained a higher qualification and/or improved your English language ability and/or changed your family composition. If you provide updated information which changes your points score or your ability to make a complete EOI against a visa, then SkillSelect will update your ranking and ability to be considered for an invitation automatically.

Once you have completed your EOI, you will receive a confirmation notification from SkillSelect. Your EOI will then remain in Skillselect for a maximum of two years.

Incomplete EOIs will also be stored for two years, but will not be eligible to receive an invitation. EOIs that do not comply with the terms and conditions of SkillSelect can be removed by the department at any time. You will be asked to read and agree to the terms and conditions when you register for a SkillSelect account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.