Wikiposts

Skills Matching (134) or new 176 Visa?

Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Tricker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Matching (134) or new 176 Visa?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the best route to follow.

My initial idea was to apply for the STNI Visa. However, I was a bit slow sorting out the Vetassess assessment so decided to put in an application for the Skills Matching Visa (subclass 134) as the September deadline was approaching (application submitted at mid Aug).

I then received a positive assessment from Vetassess and following this I applied to NSW for sponsorship. They have replied this week confirming they will sponsor me under the new 176 visa.

Now as far as i can tell from this site, even though NSW mention the 176 visa I can still use this state nomination for the skills matching visa.

So can anyone confirm if this is correct and i can continue with the Skills matching visa, or do i have to reapply under the new 176 visa? Would it be quicker one way or the other?

I'd rather not go via the 176 visa as i'll have to sit the IELTS test to get the additional points under the new system.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Matching (134) or new 176 Visa?

Originally Posted by Tricker
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the best route to follow.

My initial idea was to apply for the STNI Visa. However, I was a bit slow sorting out the Vetassess assessment so decided to put in an application for the Skills Matching Visa (subclass 134) as the September deadline was approaching (application submitted at mid Aug).

I then received a positive assessment from Vetassess and following this I applied to NSW for sponsorship. They have replied this week confirming they will sponsor me under the new 176 visa.

Now as far as i can tell from this site, even though NSW mention the 176 visa I can still use this state nomination for the skills matching visa.

So can anyone confirm if this is correct and i can continue with the Skills matching visa, or do i have to reapply under the new 176 visa? Would it be quicker one way or the other?

I'd rather not go via the 176 visa as i'll have to sit the IELTS test to get the additional points under the new system.
Just confirm with NSW that's it's ok to use it for your 134 application already in the system.

Are you sure you've calculated your points for 176 correctly?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll send NSW a mail and see what they say.

As far as i can tell i'm only getting 95 points without the additional points for English:

Age 31 - 25
English - UK Passport (Competent)- 15
Occupation - Insurance Broker - 40
State Sponsorship - 10
Work Exp - 3 out of 4 years - 5

No points for Oz work exp, Oz qualifiations or community language.

Therefore, i think i'll need to complete the IELTS to get the extra points for proficient English
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:51 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying you lodged a Skills Matching visa application without the skills assessment classification?

If so, you may find the visa application will be on the way back to you fairly soon ...

Best regards.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, i described what happened wrong (typing after a few beers is probably not the best idea!).

I received my Assessment from Vetassess before i applied for the visa, but was waiting for the state nomination so decided to submit the 134 visa application as the September deadline was approaching (so Vetassess letter was included in the application).

I'm now trying to find out if the state nomination can be used under the 134 visa, in the e-mail that NSW sent me they mention sponsorship is for the 176 visa, although this seems to be a standard 2 line e-mail from them:

"This is to inform you that your application for State sponsorship visa subclass 176 (formerly visa subclass 137) is now approved. The signed and stamped NSW form 1 will be forwarded to you by registered post."

Once i receive written confirmation I will e-mail NSW to see what they say, but any advice in the meantime would be good.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

Sorry, i described what happened wrong (typing after a few beers is probably not the best idea!).

I received my Assessment from Vetassess before i applied for the visa, but was waiting for the state nomination so decided to submit the 134 visa application as the September deadline was approaching (so Vetassess letter was included in the application).

I'm now trying to find out if the state nomination can be used under the 134 visa, in the e-mail that NSW sent me they mention sponsorship is for the 176 visa, although this seems to be a standard 2 line e-mail from them:

"This is to inform you that your application for State sponsorship visa subclass 176 (formerly visa subclass 137) is now approved. The signed and stamped NSW form 1 will be forwarded to you by registered post."

Once i receive written confirmation I will e-mail NSW to see what they say, but any advice in the meantime would be good.
[F]I received sponsorship from NSW as 134 applicant - I had to apply before my 45th birthday and since I was short of points I opted for the 134 route. After submitting my 134 to ASPC I then applied to NSW for sponsorship. I was successful and approved, NSW submitted form 1100 to ASPC, ASPC called for Police and Medicals, Medicals now approved - ASPC asked for payment via "pre-grant" letter, so now just waiting for "visa grant". Hope this helps.[/FONT]

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Newbie_al,

Good luck with yours, hope you'll be heading off soon!

When you applied for the sponsorship to NSW, did you just apply in the standard way (ie submit forms 1, 2 & 3 to NSW, under general skilled migrant) or did you specifically ask for nomination under the Skills matching visa?

After looking at their website it apears to me there is only the one way to apply (as above), i could be wrong though.

I've now e-mailed the state to see what they say, but could be a little while before i get a reply.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:57 pm
Banned

anusodhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newbie_Al
[F]I received sponsorship from NSW as 134 applicant - I had to apply before my 45th birthday and since I was short of points I opted for the 134 route. After submitting my 134 to ASPC I then applied to NSW for sponsorship. I was successful and approved, NSW submitted form 1100 to ASPC, ASPC called for Police and Medicals, Medicals now approved - ASPC asked for payment via "pre-grant" letter, so now just waiting for "visa grant". Hope this helps.[/FONT]

Hi, Just want to know.....does NSW inform you that they are submitting form 1100 to ASPC ? I have NSW sponsorship and did not receive any intimation from them regarding form 1100. Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

Thanks Newbie_al,

Good luck with yours, hope you'll be heading off soon!

When you applied for the sponsorship to NSW, did you just apply in the standard way (ie submit forms 1, 2 & 3 to NSW, under general skilled migrant) or did you specifically ask for nomination under the Skills matching visa?

After looking at their website it apears to me there is only the one way to apply (as above), i could be wrong though.

I've now e-mailed the state to see what they say, but could be a little while before i get a reply.
[F] Holding our breath - should be any day now!
To answer you question : yes applied using forms 1,2 &3 - but bear in mind my 134 had already been submitted as so I just had a covering letter asking for sponsorship.

Good luck - just add for a positive response to my NSW application (forms 1,2 &3) took only 4 weeks including postage times.
[/FONT]
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

[F] No - They just do it (providing you have given them (NSW) your case officer and file number - I was't sure they sent form !!00 , so I dropped them an email and they confirmed they had done so. This was also confirmed by my CO.[/FONT]
Originally Posted by anusodhi
Hi, Just want to know.....does NSW inform you that they are submitting form 1100 to ASPC ? I have NSW sponsorship and did not receive any intimation from them regarding form 1100. Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:52 am
Banned

anusodhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I have given them my file number. No case officer yet, but yes they have my file number.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Newbie_Al
[F] Holding our breath - should be any day now!
To answer you question : yes applied using forms 1,2 &3 - but bear in mind my 134 had already been submitted as so I just had a covering letter asking for sponsorship.

Good luck - just add for a positive response to my NSW application (forms 1,2 &3) took only 4 weeks including postage times.
[/FONT]
Thanks again.

I supppose i just have to do a bit of waiting now, and keep my fingers crossed!!