Skills assessment in RSMS?

Old May 19th 2014, 7:15 am
Just Joined

fonfrei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills assessment in RSMS?

Hello Everyone,

First of all, apologies for starting a new topic but I did not find the proper answer for my questions.

I am a self employed marketing manager (Bachelor's degree), and also a professional photographer (employed by a magazine) interested in Subclass 187 (RSMS) visa. As far as I know, I do not need skills assessment for neither of my professions as at least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification, and only a ‘Statement of service or reference" from my employer and proper evidence are needed that prove my employment/qualification.

Could anybody be so kind to inform me what details the statement should include and what evidence is usually necessary regarding my case? Where can I read useful information about such topics?

Thank you for your comments/advice in advance.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills assessment in RSMS?

If you go to www.immi.gov.au and search for your occupation, it will have a bit of a write up. Do you have an employer lined up already?
Old May 19th 2014, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you go to www.immi.gov.au and search for your occupation, it will have a bit of a write up. Do you have an employer lined up already?
Thank you Bermudashorts, but there are no definite answers regarding my questions.
No employer yet but I am just planning my trip to Australia to find a proper one and I would like to be as prepared as possible to avoid having to hunt for documents from a different country.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fonfrei
Thank you Bermudashorts, but there are no definite answers regarding my questions.
No employer yet but I am just planning my trip to Australia to find a proper one and I would like to be as prepared as possible to avoid having to hunt for documents from a different country.
So what are you looking for? Can you use some common sense in this, if they want to prove you have the skills, then read up on what is expected and go about proving it. If you want more specific information, then you should consult a registered migration agent.

To be honest, though, you are being very hopeful in assuming you will even find a 187 sponsor on the back of marketing and photography credentials.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:31 am
Just Joined

So what are you looking for? Can you use some common sense in this, if they want to prove you have the skills, then read up on what is expected and go about proving it. If you want more specific information, then you should consult a registered migration agent.

To be honest, though, you are being very hopeful in assuming you will even find a 187 sponsor on the back of marketing and photography credentials.
Thank you. Using my common sense and logic do not necessarily meet the requirements of authorities. That is why I asked if somebody knew or experienced anything similar to my case.

187 sponsorship is just an option among many others. As I said, I just would like to make sure I have what it takes to apply for certain visas. It is always good to be prepared for such things.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My oh was sponsored as marketing manager and did not need an assessment his degree transcript showed relevant study and his detailed invoices and references from clients covered the relevant skills and job description. He was not self employed but a one man band company so similar situation.
We used an agent as thus was last chance for us due to age.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
My oh was sponsored as marketing manager and did not need an assessment his degree transcript showed relevant study and his detailed invoices and references from clients covered the relevant skills and job description. He was not self employed but a one man band company so similar situation.
We used an agent as thus was last chance for us due to age.

Thank you rammygirl!
Old May 19th 2014, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fonfrei
Thank you. Using my common sense and logic do not necessarily meet the requirements of authorities. That is why I asked if somebody knew or experienced anything similar to my case.

187 sponsorship is just an option among many others. As I said, I just would like to make sure I have what it takes to apply for certain visas. It is always good to be prepared for such things.
No but I said *read* the descriptions of the occupations! which are readily available on the website I provided a link to and then see if you match it and use your common sense as to how to prove it. And if you are not prepared to do some legwork, then you need to get a immigration agent to help you.

Also you are deluding yourself if you think you have many options. Very few people have many options and it is unlikely that you it'll fall into the many options bucket.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well we could have picked from several codes. The reason we settled on this one was that it was on the shortage list for SA. Only relevant in that it was therefore easier to claim no local candidates. You don't need to do everything on the job description but you should show overall you meet it.

Just tailor the information to fit. We left a lot out that wasn't relevant to the application but was exactly why the sponsor wanted him.

Many of the jobs overlap.

The job title he was sponsored for was actually strategy development manager. After all if an employer has been genuinely trying to recruit locally they wouldn't have been advertising a perfect anzco code.

Just checked he applied under sales and marketing manager code.

In this field the job descriptions do overlap so you need to look for best fit.

Last edited by rammygirl; May 20th 2014 at 12:20 am.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:02 am
Just Joined

No but I said *read* the descriptions of the occupations! which are readily available on the website I provided a link to and then see if you match it and use your common sense as to how to prove it. And if you are not prepared to do some legwork, then you need to get a immigration agent to help you.

Also you are deluding yourself if you think you have many options. Very few people have many options and it is unlikely that you it'll fall into the many options bucket.
Thank you Bermudashorts, your advice is highly appreciated. I just wanted to have the most relevant information from people that are walking in my shoes. Using a migration agent is definitely a good option and I'll most probably use one for skills assessment for subclass 186. Just wanted to ask around regarding RSMS.
I know I do not have many options visa-wise. By saying "many options" I mean there are many different jobs in marketing management and photography. Sorry for being misleading. Hopefully I'll find something appropriate.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Well we could have picked from several codes. The reason we settled on this one was that it was on the shortage list for SA. Only relevant in that it was therefore easier to claim no local candidates. You don't need to do everything on the job description but you should show overall you meet it.

Just tailor the information to fit. We left a lot out that wasn't relevant to the application but was exactly why the sponsor wanted him.

Many of the jobs overlap.

The job title he was sponsored for was actually strategy development manager. After all if an employer has been genuinely trying to recruit locally they wouldn't have been advertising a perfect anzco code.

Just checked he applied under sales and marketing manager code.

In this field the job descriptions do overlap so you need to look for best fit.
Thank you rammygirl once again for your useful advice!