Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Skills Assessment and Partner Skills (Engineers Aus)

Skills Assessment and Partner Skills (Engineers Aus)

Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:58 am
Just Joined

isie1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Assessment and Partner Skills (Engineers Aus)

Hi all,

We are in the process of preparing to complete our EOI before the end of the year, all being well.
I have just sat my IELTS and await results. I am busy preparing my pack of information for Engineers Australia to assess my skills and relevant work experience. And it is regarding this I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help?

1. My job is Engineering Manager. My degree is Chemical Engineering. My degree is covered by Washington Accord, so no issue there. My work history, CV and organisation charts show me in the role of Engineering Manager. How do Engineers Australia know to assess me as this, or will they assess my work experience as a Chemical Engineer for which I have none, so 0 points.
Both Chemical Eng and Eng Manager are on the SOL, but I need the relevant work experience points as a Manager...
I had an assessment with a MARA agent and he didn't feel a CDR was required, but I'm not sure. I've asked EngAus and they just cut and paste sections of the MSA booklet back to me!
In uploading my info to the EngAus system, I haven't come across an option to select my ANZ job code.

2. As of 1st July, husbands job is also on the SOL so we can go for the extra 5 points. Do he just need the straight forward skills check as he is a Mechanical Engineer (accredited degree) or does he need to have confirmation of relevant work experience too?
I can't seem to find what is required to claim the Partner Skills, but assume it is simply a qualification OR work skills.

Thanks in advance! (sorry it was long, they are simple questions, I think!)
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessment and Partner Skills (Engineers Aus)

Originally Posted by isie1980
Hi all,

We are in the process of preparing to complete our EOI before the end of the year, all being well.
I have just sat my IELTS and await results. I am busy preparing my pack of information for Engineers Australia to assess my skills and relevant work experience. And it is regarding this I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help?

1. My job is Engineering Manager. My degree is Chemical Engineering. My degree is covered by Washington Accord, so no issue there. My work history, CV and organisation charts show me in the role of Engineering Manager. How do Engineers Australia know to assess me as this, or will they assess my work experience as a Chemical Engineer for which I have none, so 0 points.
Both Chemical Eng and Eng Manager are on the SOL, but I need the relevant work experience points as a Manager...
I had an assessment with a MARA agent and he didn't feel a CDR was required, but I'm not sure. I've asked EngAus and they just cut and paste sections of the MSA booklet back to me!
In uploading my info to the EngAus system, I haven't come across an option to select my ANZ job code.

2. As of 1st July, husbands job is also on the SOL so we can go for the extra 5 points. Do he just need the straight forward skills check as he is a Mechanical Engineer (accredited degree) or does he need to have confirmation of relevant work experience too?
I can't seem to find what is required to claim the Partner Skills, but assume it is simply a qualification OR work skills.

Thanks in advance! (sorry it was long, they are simple questions, I think!)
The roles and responsibilities for engineering managers is given here - 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

As the CSOL lists the occupation as assessed by either AIM or EA then you should be okay with EA assessment.

For partner skills, your OH needs occupation on same skills list (both SOL so okay there), valid skills assessment and proof of English - and proof they are under 50
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need the extra 5 points for partner skills? Maybe post how your points are adding up.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks rammygirl, my points stack up as follows:

Age - 35 = 25 pt
Language - IELTS 9 = 20 pt (got result today!)
Oz work - 0 = 0 pt
UK work - prob 3 years (hopefully 5 yrs) = 5 pt min
Qual - BEng = 15 pt
Partner skills = 5 pt
Total = 70 pt with partner skills.

I'm pretty sure I should get 5 points for my work experience and may even get 10 which would make partner skills unnecessary but as they are an easy 5 pt to get I guess we should pay for his assessment. Better to apply with as many points as possible, right?
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isie1980
Thanks rammygirl, my points stack up as follows:

Age - 35 = 25 pt
Language - IELTS 9 = 20 pt (got result today!)
Oz work - 0 = 0 pt
UK work - prob 3 years (hopefully 5 yrs) = 5 pt min
Qual - BEng = 15 pt
Partner skills = 5 pt
Total = 70 pt with partner skills.

I'm pretty sure I should get 5 points for my work experience and may even get 10 which would make partner skills unnecessary but as they are an easy 5 pt to get I guess we should pay for his assessment. Better to apply with as many points as possible, right?
Thanks in advance
Yes and No - spending money on a skills assessment for partner skills would be a good idea if you needed the points for an invite but the chances are you would get the invite anyway. Invitations for June 19 round showed more than 200 invites to 60 point EOI ( SkillSelect - 19 June 2015 Round Results ). Since you have a min 65 points you would likely get the invite without partner skills.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 5:56 am
Just Joined

That's great thanks. I had it in my head we wouldn't get an invite if we only had the minimum points. Think we'll lodge the EOI and see how we get on before going for partner points.