Skills assessment for an Accountant

Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

abl001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills assessment for an Accountant

I am in the process of applying for a Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175).

I do not have a professional qualification in accounts though I do have a BA Hons degree and a GNVQ (Advanced Level) in Business Studies.

How do I go about getting my skills assessed? Are there certain criteria’s I need to cover, is there a form to fill in?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills assessment for an Accountant

You need to contact one of the skills assessments bodies or visit their websites and search for skills assessment to read up on procedures. There are three bodies; CPA, ICAA and NIA and all can complete the skills assessment. They will certainly have forms to fill in.

I personally do not see how a Business degree can enable one to pass accountancy skills assessment but you can but try. I would probably contact them all and ask before you send off all your paperwork and fees.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

When I applied for my CIMA membership I was exempted from various papers, hence some of the subject covered by the degree must be relevant towards Accounting skills.

I will email one of the bodies for further assistance.

Thanks for you help
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abl001
When I applied for my CIMA membership I was exempted from various papers, hence some of the subject covered by the degree must be relevant towards Accounting skills.
But is there enough accounting content? Emailing may not get you anything useful, you may have to come to your own view on whether you want to apply or not.

If you don't have enough accounting content, they will tell you.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Chandana is an unknown quantity at this point

The subjects areas that you need to cover in your degree (to be assessed as an Accountant) are given in the Assessing Authority website. Do a self assessment by matching same against the subjects in your university course outline.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Where can I do one of these self assessment tests.

Also does anyone know where on the NIA website for accountants I can find the paperwork to fill in to have my skills assessed?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

NIA homepage, half way down left hand side under "immigration assessment" at a rough guess!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Chandana is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Skills assessment for an Accountant

Where can I do one of these self assessment tests.

Also does anyone know where on the NIA website for accountants I can find the paperwork to fill in to have my skills assessed?
I have given below an extract from CPA Australia website. I got my assessment done through CPA and the degree I am having is B’Com (Special) form the University of Colombo. Though it had some accounting subjects, it is not an accounting degree.
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au

In the main menu select “Admission & Education” and then select “migration assessment”

Qualifications

To meet the educational requirements for a nominated Australian standard classification of occupations (ASCO) code, prospective migrants must have a formal qualification (or qualifications) that is assessed as comparable to at least an Australian higher education degree with a minimum of eight units, according to Australian Education International National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR) and CPA Australia.
As of 1 of July 2009, CPA Australia will accept a comparable degree with minimum eight units.
The qualification/s must also cover at least nine of the following 12 core curriculum areas. Work experience will not be accepted in lieu of formal qualifications.
The core curriculum areas are:
• accounting systems and processes
• financial accounting
• management accounting
• accounting theory
• commercial law
• economics
• quantitative methods
• finance
• information systems design and development
• auditing
• taxation law
• company law

As indicated above, your degree should cover at least eight units out of twelve core areas. There isn’t a special self assessment designed by CPA or NIA. Simply compare your course outline against the core curriculum areas given above. Please note that what is important is the details of what you have studied (as per course outline) and not the name of the subject itself. For example, I did not have a subject called “Quantitative methods” in my degree, instead I had a thing called Modern Management Techniques” which covered the required area.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Can I get someone that is CIMA qualified to countersign my certificates?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Can I get someone that is CIMA qualified to countersign my certificates?
What do the instructions say? Australia may not accept any foreign professional other than a solicitor/lawyer.