Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Skilled - Sponsored Provisional Subclass 489 visa

Skilled - Sponsored Provisional Subclass 489 visa

Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:18 am
Just Joined

vramana.d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled - Sponsored Provisional Subclass 489 visa

As per my immigration consultant, I am getting below points for Australia Immigration under family sponsorship category for 489 subclass. So I just want to check, how much score should I get in PTE as I am already getting 60 points without any PTE/IELTS.

Age 25
exp 10
Edu 15
Family sponsorship 489 - 10
Total 60
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled - Sponsored Provisional Subclass 489 visa

Get as much as you can and then you don't have to go down the family sponsorship route.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

laju1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vramana.d
As per my immigration consultant, I am getting below points for Australia Immigration under family sponsorship category for 489 subclass. So I just want to check, how much score should I get in PTE as I am already getting 60 points without any PTE/IELTS.

Age 25
exp 10
Edu 15
Family sponsorship 489 - 10
Total 60
Competent English is must even if u score 60 without English language Requirement.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

tesscorcor is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you work out your points scores?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Ahh sorry think I found this SkillSelect Points Calculator | Harris Wake
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tesscorcor
Ahh sorry think I found this
You would be better sticking to official sources - particularly since you don't know whether your occupation is on the right list.

Info on a 489 Visa here (which includes information on how points are calculated) https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489- - and info on the skills lists https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...upations-lists
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:39 am
Just Joined

It says on the relevant "skills list on the relevant skills list". From what I've read on the official site I think it's ok to be on the CSOL list which I'm listed on (well my occupation is). Just thought I'd ask what others occupations were so I could double check this is correct. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:42 am
Just Joined

It does state CSOL is for "points-based skilled migration who are nominated by a state or territory government agency under a State Migration Plan" so presumably that means for a 489visa?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:56 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

CSOL is for State Sponsored visas. For Family Sponsored, the occupation should be on the SOL.

Regarding language requirements, for a family sponsorship visa, you'll need 'Competent English'.

How can I prove I have competent English?

To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

You hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
You have achieved a score of at least 6 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
You have achieved a score of at least 'B' in each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
You have achieved the following minimum test scores in each of the four test components: 12 for listening, 13 for reading, 21 for writing and 18 for speaking, in a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
You have achieved a test score of at least 50 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
You have achieved a test score of at least 169 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test that has been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and prior to lodging the visa application.

In line with earlier comments though, I would recommend you try and score as high as you can, and possibly avoid going for a regional visa altogether, depending on what other options are available for your occupation.

Regards,

Richard Gregan
MARN 9905168
Overseas Emigration Visas

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Nov 30th 2016 at 9:16 am.