Skilled migrant visa (subclass 189)

Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Sinead07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled migrant visa (subclass 189)

I just need some clarification how this visa works.
I'm from England & currently on First Year Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) which is up in March. I'm a fully qualified hairdresser with 8+ years experience my aim is to get Permanent Residence as quickly as possible. Being on a 189 Visa is it 12 months work in the profession then you can apply for PR?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled migrant visa (subclass 189)

Originally Posted by Sinead07
I just need some clarification how this visa works.
I'm from England & currently on First Year Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) which is up in March. I'm a fully qualified hairdresser with 8+ years experience my aim is to get Permanent Residence as quickly as possible. Being on a 189 Visa is it 12 months work in the profession then you can apply for PR?
No that is not how it works at all. A 189 visa is a permanent visa, so the holder already has PR. Nobody applies for "PR" in itself, it is all about applying for visas and some are permanent like this one and some are temporary like your 417.

Unfortunately, as a hairdresser you will not qualify for a 189 visa as it is not an occupation on the SOL. I beliece hairdresser is still on the CSOL though, so you could look into a 190 visa, this is very like a 189 visa other than you would need a state to sponsor your application.

More bad news is that there are not many states willing to sponsor this occupation. It looks like NT and Tasmania are, but these two usually require the applicant to have a job or job offer in the state as well. It looks like South Australia might sponsor too, they would definitely need you to have secured a job offer. So in a nutshell the skilled migrant visa could be very difficult for a hairdresser to obtain.

If you find work as a hairdresser on your WHV, then you might be able to persuade that employer to sponsor you for one of the employer sponsored visas, the 457 is the temporary one and the 186 and 187 are the permanent ones.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 8th 2016 at 8:18 am.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post to the Australia Immigration section as you're more likely to get good info in here, though Bermudashorts has given you some pointers already.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Sinead07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No that is not how it works at all. A 189 visa is a permanent visa, so the holder already has PR. Nobody applies for "PR" in itself, it is all about applying for visas and some are permanent like this one and some are temporary like your 417.

Unfortunately, as a hairdresser you will not qualify for a 189 visa as it is not an occupation on the SOL. I beliece hairdresser is still on the CSOL though, so you could look into a 190 visa, this is very like a 189 visa other than you would need a state to sponsor your application.

More bad news is that there are not many states willing to sponsor this occupation. It looks like NT and Tasmania are, but these two usually require the applicant to have a job or job offer in the state as well. It looks like South Australia might sponsor too, they would definitely need you to have secured a job offer. So in a nutshell the skilled migrant visa could be very difficult for a hairdresser to obtain.

If you find work as a hairdresser on your WHV, then you might be able to persuade that employer to sponsor you for one of the employer sponsored visas, the 457 is the temporary one and the 186 and 187 are the permanent ones.
Thank you so much for your help, helped out a lot.
So i am currently working as a hairdresser in Melbourne and they have touched upon sponsorship but looking into that it takes longer to get your PR. With the new tax law coming in July i would like to be on a different visa and that would be just after my 6 months of employment with the one employee and i would like to stay working here. Just worried that with the 457 it takes longer to get your PR.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So i am currently working as a hairdresser in Melbourne and they have touched upon sponsorship but looking into that it takes longer to get your PR. With the new tax law coming in July i would like to be on a different visa and that would be just after my 6 months of employment with the one employee and i would like to stay working here. Just worried that with the 457 it takes longer to get your PR.
I wouldn't be worrying about tax changes in July when your current visa is up in March.

Have you completed the regional work to be able to apply for a second year?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 1:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't necessarily take longer to get PR.
As Bermudashorts said, you can apply for PR now if you are in the right State (not Victoria) and meet the job requirements.
If you want to stay in Victoria though, as long as Hiardressing is on the list to be sponsored for a 457, you'll need to follow that route, and then you should be able to go for PR at a later date throug the transitional route.

Taz laws are irrelevant. If thats your only route to PR you'll have to follow it. Many people have no route at all, so you are one of the lucky ones
Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned, you cannot get the 189 visa and as you we in Victoria the 190 is not an option either. The 457 is a temporary visa but it is better than a 417 and looks to be your only option at this point in time.