Skilled independent visa advice - Help!

Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

haz10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Skilled independent visa advice - Help!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have both previously used our working holiday visas when we were younger. As my boyfriend is a plumber we are now looking to apply for a skilled independent visa.
  1. Is it absolutely necessary that he has to do a vetassess skills assessment? (I checked the price and it is so expensive!)
  2. We have been together for over 2 years. I would like to go onto his visa as a defacto partner, however, as we are trying to save money we live at his parents house. We do not have our name under any of the bills, but we do have a joint bank account. Is this enough to prove the relationship is legitimate? Is there another way of proving that we live together?
  3. A visa agent seems to charge quite a lot to organise this, does anyone have any experience of applying for a skilled independent visa themselves?
Thanks!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled independent visa advice - Help!

1. Yes. He cannot nominate a skill without a valid skills assessment. It's expensive , but emigration is expensive.

2. If you can prove that the two of you have been living in a marriage like relationship then you can be added to the application as his dependent.

3. If the application is straightforward then there is no need for an agent. Many, if not most people do it themselves.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

A skills assessment is a pre-requisite.

If you can't afford the skills assessment, you can't afford to migrate. The cost of migrating dwarfs the cost of the skills assessment.

Many people do the application themselves. I personally think it's better to use an agent but most don't.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend an agent, particularly as you may have issues proving the de facto relationship. The cost of which isn't drop in the ocean in the cost of migrating. Particularly for plumbers as even once in Australia he will need to obtain a license which can be expensive
Old Nov 7th 2018, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
1. Yes. He cannot nominate a skill without a valid skills assessment. It's expensive , but emigration is expensive.

2. If you can prove that the two of you have been living in a marriage like relationship then you can be added to the application as his dependent.

3. If the application is straightforward then there is no need for an agent. Many, if not most people do it themselves.

Ok!
Do you recommend any specific ways of proving that you are in a marriage like relationship without having shared utility bills/ mortgage?
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haz10
Ok!
Do you recommend any specific ways of proving that you are in a marriage like relationship without having shared utility bills/ mortgage?
Have a look at the details for aplying for a Spouse Visa. You can include stuff that shws you live at the same address - bank statments, insurance docs etc.Wills, life insurance etc made out in favour of each other Invites to events together, addressed t you at the smne address. Flight and hotel bookings using the same home address. Driving licences.,
And even statements from your parents stating that you are living with them, but living as a couple just sharing the house.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look at the details for aplying for a Spouse Visa. You can include stuff that shws you live at the same address - bank statments, insurance docs etc.Wills, life insurance etc made out in favour of each other Invites to events together, addressed t you at the smne address. Flight and hotel bookings using the same home address. Driving licences.,
And even statements from your parents stating that you are living with them, but living as a couple just sharing the house.
Thanks! I have also tried researching online about the working on a defacto visa, I assume you can work full time in any type of job? Do you get taxed more than an Australian citizen?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haz10
Thanks! I have also tried researching online about the working on a defacto visa, I assume you can work full time in any type of job? Do you get taxed more than an Australian citizen?
Although you need to supply a lot of the same info that you would for an actual Spouse Visa, in your case that is just to prove the relationship, and you would actually be on a Skills Visa, having been on your partner's application as a dependent. So if your partner gets a 189, so do you, with full working rights etc. You pay the same tax as any other Aussie permanent resident/citizen