Skill assessment for 'Social Worker'

Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

saif2456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Skill assessment for 'Social Worker'

Hi all,
I am planning to apply to AASW for skill assessment for 'Social Worker', but not clear about a couple of issues:
1. I completed my Bachelor (3 yrs) and Masters (1 yr) degrees in 'International Relations' from Bangladesh. This subject is not directly related to the occupation 'Social Worker'.
2. Later on I did a 1 yr Masters degree in 'International Customs Law' from an AU Uni (again not a Social Work degree).
3. Currently I am doing PhD in Law in Australia.
4. I have more than 7 yrs work experience in a job which matches completely with the job description of 'Social Worker' as outlined by AASW.
5. Immigration website states "At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification" (Unit Group 2725: Social Workers)
6. I have got at least 7.5 in each of the IELTS bands.

Can I apply for a skill assessment by AASW for 'Social Worker'?

Any suggestion will he highly appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skill assessment for 'Social Worker'

Wouldn't have thought so but information starts here Migration Skills Assessment - AASW - Australian Association of Social Workers
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saif2456
Hi all,
I am planning to apply to AASW for skill assessment for 'Social Worker', but not clear about a couple of issues:
1. I completed my Bachelor (3 yrs) and Masters (1 yr) degrees in 'International Relations' from Bangladesh. This subject is not directly related to the occupation 'Social Worker'.
2. Later on I did a 1 yr Masters degree in 'International Customs Law' from an AU Uni (again not a Social Work degree).
3. Currently I am doing PhD in Law in Australia.
4. I have more than 7 yrs work experience in a job which matches completely with the job description of 'Social Worker' as outlined by AASW.
5. Immigration website states "At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification" (Unit Group 2725: Social Workers)
6. I have got at least 7.5 in each of the IELTS bands.

Can I apply for a skill assessment by AASW for 'Social Worker'?

Any suggestion will he highly appreciated.
Saif, I'm puzzled by your statement that you have more that 7 years experience in a job that exactly matches the AASW social worker criteria. What job/s were they, and were these jobs in Bangladesh, Canada or Australia? As far as I'm aware, the 5 years of work experience MUST be in a designated Social Work role.

I think you entered Australia in 2007 to do a post doctoral degree in Law?
And then you were seeking a skilled migration visa in Australia as a Policy Analyst?

I'm not trying to be unkind, but your qualifications and work experience will be subject to heavy scrutiny by AASW so it's best that you're very clear whether or not you meet the criteria. Follow quoll's link above and see how you go.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Saif, I don't want to hammer home the point, but the answer would almost certainly be 'No'.

Before even worrying about what your previous job descriptions have said, you should be aware that to even make an application to AASW, you need some kind of social work specific qualification.

That 5 years of work experience only applies of the specific social work qualification was not a bachelors level or above qualification.