Skill Assessment Positive or Not?

Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:29 am
Just Joined

judiscofield is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Skill Assessment Positive or Not?

Hi Respectable seniors,

I have 8 years of experience as a Software Engineer and I applied for Skill Assessment and got reply from ACS (Australian Computer Society). I have two employments, 1st from May 2005 to May 2008. 2nd from May 2008 to July 2013. So I have more than 8 years of experience which I mentioned in my skill assessment application. In my skill assessment response, ACS wrote the following regarding my employment.

"The following employment after May 2007 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 261313 (Software Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code

Dates: 05/05 - 05/08 (3yrs 0mths)
Position : SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Date: 05/08 - 07/13 (5yrs 2mths)
SOFTWARE ENGINEER"

1. Now I wonder, can I claim points of 8 years of experience? Or DIAC will not consider first two years that ACS mentioned?

2. The years ACS didn't considered, has DIAC recently started to reject claims for the years that ACS has excluded? Or this type of claim was being rejected before?

Below is the screenshot of my skill assessment for employment section.

Is there something I can do?

I really appreciate your expert opinion.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

born2learn will become famous soon enoughborn2learn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skill Assessment Positive or Not?

1. No, you cannot claim 8 years of experience. You can only claim 6 years of experience; one year from first employment and the other from the second employment.

2. DIAC will reject your claim as ACS specifically mentioned the date after which your experience is valid.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

judiscofield is an unknown quantity at this point

@born2learn Thanks for your reply.

Do anyone has idea that why or on what basis ACS deducts 2 years from the employment period?

I think, it do not make any sense when a person waited a lot and completed 8 years of experience to get the required points for the visa and then ACS do not consider the first two years so that the applicant can not apply? Strange...

Can anyone guide/help that what I have done wrong that ACS haven't considered my full employment period?

Was this type of statement from ACS do not create problem for the applicant before? My consultant mentioning that DIAC recently started to consider this type of statement from ACS but before everybody were able to claim points for full employment period even after getting this type comments from ACS. Is it true? Is there any new rule introduced?

I would Really appreciate opinion from experts & seniors.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judiscofield
@born2learn Thanks for your reply.

Do anyone has idea that why or on what basis ACS deducts 2 years from the employment period?

I think, it do not make any sense when a person waited a lot and completed 8 years of experience to get the required points for the visa and then ACS do not consider the first two years so that the applicant can not apply? Strange...

Can anyone guide/help that what I have done wrong that ACS haven't considered my full employment period?

Was this type of statement from ACS do not create problem for the applicant before? My consultant mentioning that DIAC recently started to consider this type of statement from ACS but before everybody were able to claim points for full employment period even after getting this type comments from ACS. Is it true? Is there any new rule introduced?

I would Really appreciate opinion from experts & seniors.
ACS did consider all your employment - you require a certain number of years of experience to be deemed skilled - in your case 2 years. It is all on the ACS website in their criteria for assessment (most easily viewed in the Summary which you'll find on the site).

The ACS changed their criteria in May last year as most occupations require some level of practical experience to be considered skilled.