Wikiposts

SIR visas - Have they changed the rules??

Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR visas - Have they changed the rules??

I wonder if anyone can clear up a questins for me??

I arrived in Adelaide in August and am busy applying for work. My nominated occupation is primary teacher but I have seen other vacancies I am qualified for (Education Officer) and contact Dept of immigration and citizenship to ask would i still fulfil the visa requirements if I worked in an occupation other than my nominated occupation.

I was told that I would fulfil the requirements to gain the 887 visa (permanency) if I work in ANY occupation for 12 months and lived in regional australia i.e. Adelaide for 2 years.

I was under the impression that the work experience had to be on the skilled occupations list - but according to the lady I spoke to apparently not.

I was also under the impression that the 2nd stage of the SIR process required sponsorship for the Immigration SA but a recent email from them led me to beleive that this was not the case.

I am now totally confused (it doesn't take much!!!)

Can anyone advise???
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:14 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR visas - Have they changed the rules??

As a subclass 495 SIR visaholder you no longer need a State Nomination to secure the permanent residency visa once you have been living and working in a regional area of Australia for the required period.

Best regards.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Nette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Alan.

So (just to clarify!) if we work full time in ANY occupations for 12 months and reside in South Australia for 2 years we will qualify for the permanent residency visa?? (Obviously subject to health requirements and behaving ourselves!!!)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nette
Thanks for your reply Alan.

So (just to clarify!) if we work full time in ANY occupations for 12 months and reside in South Australia for 2 years we will qualify for the permanent residency visa?? (Obviously subject to health requirements and behaving ourselves!!!)
Have a read of the requirements for the subclass 887 visa:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../887/index.htm

Best regards.