Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

SIR 495 visa - 12 month extension - advice needed

Wikiposts

SIR 495 visa - 12 month extension - advice needed

Old Aug 28th 2009, 11:15 am
Just Joined

pamoola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR 495 visa - 12 month extension - advice needed

Hi there can anyone advise me?

My SIR 495 visa grant date was 14 July 08 and I made my first entry on 10 Feb 09 (a 3 week stay). I am still in the UK and now do not want to enter Aus to stay permanently until a few months after 10 Feb 2010 ( probably 2 or 3 months after this date) - ie. when my SIR will by that time have less than 2 years to run.

My major concern is this; is it straightforward to obtain the second SIR which will give me a 12 month extension to make up the 2 years residency requirement assuming that I have complied with the conditions of the visa ie. living in regional South Australia? ( I am going to Adelaide). If so, do I only have to supply proof that I am living in regional SA and it is a straighforward grant of the extension or, and this is my concern - is the 12 month extension only available under special or exeptional circumstances?

I would hegely appreciate advice from any experts out there or anyone that has successfully applied for the 12 month extension.

Many thanks
Pamela
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:17 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR 495 visa - 12 month extension - advice needed

Hi Pamela,

Did you look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...sa-holders.htm or is this just a cri de coeur?

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

pamoola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SIR 495 visa - 12 month extension - advice needed

Hi George,

Many thanks for your reply.

I had read this page on immi website and the process of applying for an extension seems to read that it is straightforward providing that I have complied with the conditions of my visa ie. living in regional SA, but my concern was that an applicant would only be eligible for an extension under 'special circumstances' (for example illness) preventing you being in Aus. for 2 years on the SIR and that this might not be explained on the immi site. As I don't have special circumstances I wanted to make sure this would not be a problem.

I would be most gratrful for any opinion you have on this.

thanks again
P

Last edited by pamoola; Aug 28th 2009 at 10:02 pm. Reason: typo