Single Parent thinking of getting a visa

Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

sunsetdawny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Parent thinking of getting a visa

HI All

I am considering applying for a visa to emigrate to Oz. I am an accountant so should qualify under the MSOL, however I have concerns about how difficult life will be as a single parent of a now 6 year old. Has anybody else taken the leap?

thanks
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Single Parent

hi there, im taking that leap in july. just me and my 10 yr old lad moving to perth, i cant wait but completely understand your fears. I keep going over what will happen if hes off school ill or i am ill and in the school holidays it will cost me a small fortune but i am willing to give it a shot and hope it all works out. I wish you all the best whatever decision you make....but as i always say you dont know til you try and as you will discover there are quite a few single mums moved over to oz and have worked thru the hard times to reap the rewards x
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reassurance - all the best for your move in July.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:00 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Here are a few threads you might like to read:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=single+parent
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:17 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 10 yr old and my family are not here but in Aus. You will be fine. I have survived without family during school hols and at times of sickness. You just have to believe it is possible and it can be.. x
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - i moved here in Nov 07 with my two youngest children (now 16 & 13). For as long as i can remember i had dreamed of living in Oz and finally decided that i wasnt going to let doing it alone stop me.
It has been nothing short of the best thing i have ever done! For me and the kids! Their confidence is 10 fold what it was in the UK and they are settled and so very happy here.
It was hard mentally doing it alone as there are times i would have given anything for an adult to help me make decisions but in some respects its easier cos you dont have to consider a partners opinion
You will be fine. This site provided me with the base set of my friends. They have all been amazing and so supportive.
Just gonna pm you our blog password - you may enjoy reading it
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the replies, they are inspirational. Hate to be a bit thick, but what does pm stand for?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:34 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

That is not being thick. It is for private message. You can see private messages in the top right hand corner of your screen when you are logged on - well the link to them.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bethnphoebe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
i'm a single parent of a seven year old, hoping to head to Oz early next year. My main concern is not having enough of an income as an individual to support us. I'm a nurse so also on MODL. Are you looking at skilled independent? where are you thinking of heading.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

HI

I am not sure where to head to as of yet as I cannot lodge my visa application until next year - I have to wait until I have got 12 mths post membership. I am getting inpatient already. I had originally looked at Brisbane but I am now thinking perhaps Perth. I will see what is available next year and either go as skilled independent or if there is any state sponsorship may go for that if it will give me a better chance of getting a visa.

Where abouts are you heading?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Single Parent thinking of getting a visa

Not sure,
I'm also looking at perth and brisbane. I have applied as a skilled independent as i need to find a nursing position without shift work for childcare reasons. not sure which to do first find perfect job and relocate or choose area then hope there will be a suitable job.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:12 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

i'm a single parent and made the move nearly 3 months ago to melbourne. The best thing i ever did and we both love it!! It is possible but you have to believe it is possible, as the othe person said.
I am a midwife and came out with an aupair who helped out with childcare when i was on shifts. That has since not worked out and i am now looking for an alternative. My manager is fantastic and very accomodating.

If you have a regular 8-5ish job, you will be fine. I think nearly all schools offer before and after school care, which is good quality.

I will say that you have to work hard at putting yourself out there and building a support network around you. Introduce yourself to your neighbours, talk to people in shops/supermarkets, help out at school, have a house warming a couple of months into oz life with collegues, have party for kids school friends and mums....anything to generate adult interaction.....all the things we never even bother doing in the uk and take for granted, because we have our family! This is what we did and i have met so many new people and possible good frineds. 1 door always leads to another. And people are so open and friendly here, which makes it easy.

If you want piece of mind, i would come out with a job already. Theres already enough to do once you get here. I used Genevahealth.com.au who found me a job, arranged the interview in London and provided a step by step guide as to what i needed to do next with a mixture of phone calls and emails. They were fantastic and made the move easy for me. I was here within 6 months of interview. The employer pays them to search, so its free for you. I can definately recommend them.

good luck, whatever you decide.

Last edited by di90; Apr 21st 2009 at 10:18 am. Reason: added info
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that Di, i'm glad it's all working out for you. Can i ask why you decided on melbourne and which suburb you're in. What are the schools like?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:01 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

I chose melbourne because of its location. I wanted to be near other cities, unlike perth. The weather suits me better - i like rain and sun but just couldn't handle sun or humidity every day like brisbane or sydney. I like the culture and diversity melbourne offers - its very multicultural. Also closer to skiing, which i like.
we live in greensborough, which is lovely. Very hilly and green. Schools are great here, though i can only speak for this area. Not sure if its like the uk - the nicer the area the nicer the school/kids that attend the school. This is just my limited experience though.

good luck and do your research!! It pays off once your here.