Silver Trowel or TAFE

Old May 31st 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silver Trowel or TAFE

Hi

Is anyone able to compare Silver Trowel to the TAFE's. ST want about $29000 to do one of their courses, has anyone got it cheaper from them.

The TAFE's are offering the same Cert III's in the same and more subjects and you appear to get your cert III in one year then go on in the second to get cert IV and you can do them in the east coast too!!!

Anyone done a course at a TAFE??
Old May 31st 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Silver Trowel or TAFE

If you are doing a course to gain PR in Australia then it will need to be 2 years (I think it can only be 1 course, not 2) which knocks TAFE out. What TAFE courses are you looking at? Do they meet the CRICOS requirements?
Old May 31st 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kingseat
If you are doing a course to gain PR in Australia then it will need to be 2 years (I think it can only be 1 course, not 2) which knocks TAFE out. What TAFE courses are you looking at? Do they meet the CRICOS requirements?
I was looking at one of the trades and do the cert 3 then seeing if I could work full time to get the 900 hours and apply for PR. Thought this could be a route in without having to do the study in the UK then four years work before being able to apply.

It's only a thought but one I thought maybe could be a quicker route in.

Ok Here's another way I thinking of.....

Do one year cert 3 TAFE, then come back to the UK for year and replenish the savings to then return to OZ for a second year and do cert 4 to then apply for PR.d count

Anyone know if you can do it that way and it would count as two years study to get the extra 5 points.

Last edited by richie-318; May 31st 2009 at 8:02 pm. Reason: More Research
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richie-318
I was looking at one of the trades and do the cert 3 then seeing if I could work full time to get the 900 hours and apply for PR. Thought this could be a route in without having to do the study in the UK then four years work before being able to apply.

Do one year cert 3 TAFE, then come back to the UK for year and replenish the savings to then return to OZ for a second year and do cert 4 to then apply for PR.d count

Anyone know if you can do it that way and it would count as two years study to get the extra 5 points.
First thing to look at is whether the courses are actually OK with CRICOS, as suggested above.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recon they would go for that at all. The two year expensive way really is the only option.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:55 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa would you be coming in on?

The study visa only allows you to work 20 hours a week during term time so that blows your working full time out the water.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

I am at silver trowel, I arrived jan 2008 and went to TAFE first to study landscaping and the amount of home work they give out is a joke. I left after cert 2 and transferred to ST and they dont give out home work which is good and overall its a much better place, but I guess thats why its more expensive.

Also TAFE have fees that they do not tell you about until they are due, Admin fees are $400 a semester and also you have to buy all the books, ect.

My friends still at TAFE say that cert 3 was ok but the cert 4 is hell.

I wish Silver trowel had started before I went to TAFE and saved myself $6000.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

also have to point out that people are stopping and going home because they cant handle it. either due to the 20hrs a week and college thing or they spend all there cash.

I have to say that it is stressful because you may find it hard getting work due to not being able to work fulltime, but most of us seem to have got it.

Im half way through the course now and I have my 900 hours easily.

And if you come pay all your course fees for the full 2years upfront so you dont go spending it.

4 of my friends have went back to there home countries so far.

and 2 have transferred from TAFE to ST as well after me.

Last edited by lee28; Jun 7th 2009 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

sorry for spamming lol

TAFE = can be up to 4 days a week 8am - 5pm depends on the rota

Silver trowel = 3 days one week 2 days the week after and its 7:30am till 3pm