Wikiposts

Should we use an agent - and from where?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we use an agent - and from where?

Originally Posted by coolie
Sorry, for not being clear.
TRA: Trades recognitiona Australia. They are the body for assesing most trades. I'm not sure if your occupation will fall into this category,
Most trades yes, but not for professional, managerial and most associate professional occupations.

Not everyone on this forum is a tradesman.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:39 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most trades yes, but not for professional, managerial and most associate professional occupations.

Not everyone on this forum is a tradesman.

Jeremy
And that's why I appologised to mikeo and explained myself as I was not aware that he does not need to use the TRA, therefore wont know about them!

It was an asumption that I should not have made, sorry if I confused anybody.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeo
Just did this... It seems they stopped recognising Theoretical Physics degrees from my institution (Uni of Kent) in 1983, four years before I enrolled. Oh well.
It was worth a look - some UK physics degrees are accredited, some aren't.

On the subject of SIR visas, can you elaborate a little on why they should be avoided at all costs? Am I right in thinking you have to wait 2 years before applying for PR, and if this fails you get kicked out when the SIR expires?
Basically because while you are a temporary resident on a SIR visa, your rights are very restricted. You can't live/work in the places where most of the better jobs are, to begin with.

On top of that you've a variety of restrictions relating to healthcare, social benefits, citizenship, real-estate purchases, and so on.

As for getting PR after 2 years, you need the sponsorship either of an employer or the state government. We'll need to see how it works out, but it's not yet clear how all the state governments will react to SIR visa holders who move to the state but cannot find skilled work (ie, they are working in semi-skilled or unskilled jobs).

If any state government starts refusing to sponsor SIR holders for permanent residence for this reason, some SIR holders in that state are going to be in a mess and it's not yet clear whether DIMIA would intervene or just insist the people concerned leave Australia.

I think the bottom line is you should only consider SIR if you know that *all* your other options are exhausted.

Also, there was an earlier comment about people on temporary visas having lots of problems. What kind of problems?
There are lots of problems with the 457 visa (work permit):
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Not all temporary visas are as restricted as the 457 - SIR isn't as bad a visa, for example - but basically the rights of temporary residents in Australia are limited compared to those of permanent residents. And there are some important restrictions on permanent residents that don't apply to Australian citizens.

Finally, welshtony's suggestion about Other Half going back to work temporarily is a good one, but unfortunately her nursing registration lapsed some time ago, which I think rules this idea out.
Is it not possible for her to get her registration back? I thought the UK was very keen to encourage former nurses back into the profession.

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeo
Finally, welshtony's suggestion about Other Half going back to work temporarily is a good one, but unfortunately her nursing registration lapsed some time ago, which I think rules this idea out.

Mike.
She can do a reasonably short return to nursing course to register as a nurse (provided she was a registered nurse, not an enrolled nurse.