Wikiposts

Should I get a WHV to try it first?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Should I get a WHV to try it first?

First off, I apoligise if this topic comes up all the time, I have used the search function, and been reading posts for the past hour, but nothing seems to answer my question completely.

Anyway, I am 24 and looking to relocate to Adelaide on my own, as I decided a while back that I would love to live in Oz, and I have a few relatives in Adelaide. I'm just a little concerned about doing it all alone, as I will have nobody to share the stress etc with.

I have looked into it, and am at the stage where I am ready to progress with an application, IELTS, Vetasses, visa etc.

The only trouble is that I'm still unsure whether to go ahead, with all the forms, cost, emotional stress, and find that I don't like it, as let's be honest, holidaying somewhere and living somewhere are completely different. Now, I know almost everyone must go through the same feelings when doing it, and maybe I should just shush up and dive in.

I just wondered after speaking on another forum, whether anyone had done similar?

And also, I have been asked why don't I get a 12 month working holiday visa, and see how I like it? If I was to do that, what are the chances of finding an employer wanting to sponser me? As I believe that is the only way to stay in Oz and apply for a permanent visa?
I take it the odds are very slim, I'm an architect, so I presume they would have plenty of australian citizens to employ which would much less hassle.

I presume if I was to go out on a WHV and decide that I would like to live there, I would need to return to the UK for a year whilst I apply and keep my fingers crossed the rules haven't changed and I can still get a visa?

Sorry for the long post, I thought that this would be the best place to ask for advice though, as there are many people with experience and knowledge of living there, and of the whole visa process too!

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:08 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I get a WHV to try it first?

In a word, yes. Also stay at some of the other cities, see where you feel most comfortable.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to add in my first post, that I have been to Australia before on holidays, visited cities and although Melbourne is my favourite place, I do like Adelaide as it's quieter, and I live in the countryside at the moment, so seems huge to me lol.

So, I have decided it'd be Adelaide, but I've only been on holiday and stayed with relatives.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:28 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

WHV might still be a good first step. Speak with an agent first and see what your chances of getting a more permanent visa are. You don't as far as I know, need to leave the country if you go from a WHV to another type (depends what one) visa although I don't know that much about anything other than the 457. I know folk who have stayed permanently after going initially for a WHV.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I have spoken to an agent with regards to my original plan on getting a 176 skilled sponsored visa, as my relatives are willing to sponsor me.

If there was any way of getting a 176 visa without leaving the country, that'd be excellent, but I always thought you had to be outside the country to apply for a permanent visa?!

If anyone knows that would be excellent. I will also ask my agent, unless he answers in this thread.

But I presume that everyone would be doing it if it was possible? Just apply for a WHV, fly over and then apply for a permanent visa.

But I agree with you steve, even if I can't a WHV may be good step, as I can "live and work" so to speak and get a feeling for it, without had going through all the processes, cost and saying bye to everyone, only to return lol.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

As you are an architect, you should have the 120 points you need for a 175 visa; you don't need to be sponsored by your rellies. In fact, you don't even need to do IELTS.

Age 30
English 15
Skills 60
MODL 15
Total 120

Also the assessing body isn't Vetassess, it's the AACA (the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia).

So it should be straightforward enough for you to get a permanent visa. That said, if you are only 24 you can only just be qualified and the above assumes you could demonstrate a year's worth of relevant experience.

Unless money is very tight, I would go for a 175 visa - if you take a year off from architecture or find it difficult to get a job in architecture whilst in Oz on a WHV (and you may well find employers don't want to employ an architect who will only stay around a while so I'd suggest you research as much as you can), you would struggle to have enough recent relevant experience to be able to apply for a permanent visa if you then chose to go that route without going back to the UK and reestablishing yourself for long enough to get PR.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I need to learn to make things clear lol, sorry I'm always writing in a hurry.

I'm and Architectural Technician, I just generally put Architect as it's quicker, even though it's a different job in most ways lol. So a 40 point occupation, meaning I will require sponsorship.

But I thank you for your reply, sorry for the confusion, it's my fault.

Edit: By the same token though, it's not that money is tight for the cost of the visa and sundries, it's just I don't want to go through the process to find I'm not keen on being over there on my own. If there was a way of living there to try, like the WHV that would be good, but I'm interested if I go that route, whether there's a way to apply to live the permanantly without packing up and coming home to apply for a 176 visa, then packing up and going back again a year later.

Last edited by xzibit; Jan 14th 2008 at 5:31 am.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
WHV might still be a good first step. Speak with an agent first and see what your chances of getting a more permanent visa are.
If he qualifies for a more permanent visa now then going to Australia on a WHV might be a bad idea, as it could break his continuity of skilled work experience and cause long delay in becoming eligible to migrate again.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Edit: By the same token though, it's not that money is tight for the cost of the visa and sundries, it's just I don't want to go through the process to find I'm not keen on being over there on my own. If there was a way of living there to try, like the WHV that would be good, but I'm interested if I go that route, whether there's a way to apply to live the permanantly without packing up and coming home to apply for a 176 visa, then packing up and going back again a year later.
Some things for you to consider:

If you come on a WHV, and can't find a 6 month job in your field then you may end up not being able to emigrate properly for another 2 years. You would have to pack up, go back and start all over again (that would cost more than applying for the visa now)

Even if you didn't like it here in Adelaide there's a whole country to try (once you qualify to move interstate).

You only live once, make the most of it.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the advice.

Indeed you only live once, so I want to make sure I try and make the right decisions the first time lol I'm a very cautious person, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.

So, there's no way of turning a WHV into a permanent visa then? No way to go over and decide, and then apply from inside Australia?

I know it seems a small price to pay for most, but spending out ~£2500 and all the paperwork and then waiting for a visa and packing up and saying bye just to "see if I like it" lol is quite daunting on my own.

But if that's what I have to do, then I shall have to do it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other options before I proceeded.

The reason behind my asking is because you always "hear" about these people that go out on WHV's and never return. How do they stay there? They can't all be staying there illegally can they?

Last edited by xzibit; Jan 14th 2008 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Thanks for all the advice.

Indeed you only live once, so I want to make sure I try and make the right decisions the first time lol I'm a very cautious person, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.

So, there's no way of turning a WHV into a permanent visa then? No way to go over and decide, and then apply from inside Australia?

I know it seems a small price to pay for most, but spending out ~£2500 and all the paperwork and then waiting for a visa and packing up and saying bye just to "see if I like it" lol is quite daunting on my own.

But if that's what I have to do, then I shall have to do it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other options before I proceeded.

The reason behind my asking is because you always "hear" about these people that go out on WHV's and never return. How do they stay there? They can't all be staying there illegally can they?

You can get a WHV, however it would be wise to stay in your current line of work or you may not have the recent experience needed to apply for PR.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

jennsy has a spectacular aura aboutjennsy has a spectacular aura aboutjennsy has a spectacular aura about

Deffo get the working Visa first.

I used to play for a Saturday football team in Sydney and the majority of the team were there on working visa's. To be fair they werent the brightest bunch, but every single one had been offered sponsorship with a month of working there!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
You can get a WHV, however it would be wise to stay in your current line of work or you may not have the recent experience needed to apply for PR.
I would be wanting to work in an Architect's office, as I'm really interested in learning about the differences in construction and regulations, so I would try and get a placement at one. Hopefully they would want me to stay after, but there's also a risk I can't get this kind of work, and am aware of this.

Originally Posted by jennsy
Deffo get the working Visa first.

I used to play for a Saturday football team in Sydney and the majority of the team were there on working visa's. To be fair they werent the brightest bunch, but every single one had been offered sponsorship with a month of working there!!!!
Well that sounds hopeful, but I need to prepare for the possibility of not getting sponsored by an employer, or even getting any work with an Architect.

Isn't the relavent work experience 12 months out of the previous 24 months? In that case, if I work up until I was to leave on the WHV, then 3 months in I decide I would like to stay, I would still have enough wrok experience?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

I had the same issues - apply for perm res or WH. I reckon i will be able to get the 120 points so i am thinking i may as well go for it. A working holiday visa could seriously jeopordise your chances of getting perm res in future. Sure you can go over on the WH visa and find sponsorship but if the company sponsoring you give you a 1% annual pay rise you can't exactly find another job. Plus without perm res you are limited to what you can do. If you wanted to stay out there you'd be better getting perm res if you wanted to buy a house you'd get first time buyer stamp duty exemptions from the govenment. What i'm saying is you'll need perm res eventually to build a life out there so perhaps better to get it now. One attraction of perm res for me is once I'm in i don't have to stay in my profession i can do whatever i want like open a bar or anything. These are just my thoughts as I've been thru the same thing as you. Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
I had the same issues - apply for perm res or WH. I reckon i will be able to get the 120 points so i am thinking i may as well go for it. A working holiday visa could seriously jeopordise your chances of getting perm res in future. Sure you can go over on the WH visa and find sponsorship but if the company sponsoring you give you a 1% annual pay rise you can't exactly find another job. Plus without perm res you are limited to what you can do. If you wanted to stay out there you'd be better getting perm res if you wanted to buy a house you'd get first time buyer stamp duty exemptions from the govenment. What i'm saying is you'll need perm res eventually to build a life out there so perhaps better to get it now. One attraction of perm res for me is once I'm in i don't have to stay in my profession i can do whatever i want like open a bar or anything. These are just my thoughts as I've been thru the same thing as you. Good luck.
Thanks.

I didn't realise that having a WHV jeopordised chances of getting a full visa! Good job I never went out on one when I thought about it a couple of years ago else I'd be stuck in the UK now!!

So there's no possible way to apply for a 176 skilled sponsored from inside oz? Bugger. I suppose I'll have to apply for the 176 and fingers crossed I don't want to come home after a few months then.