Wikiposts

Shipping

Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping

This waiting is killing me, just to keep me going im trying to find avarage prices for shipping and if anybody can recomend a good one to use, i know it depends on what you take and storage costs ect. but any info at this point would be useful.

What to take will be our next problem and what to do with all the other stuff, i'm dreading that part, all that sentimental stuff from when the kids were babies, do we keep it or dump it ?? the big question

Nigel
Old Mar 27th 2004, 8:26 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping

Nigel,

Try Excess Baggage I can't recommend or otherwise because I'm a way off needing that service yet but they will do you a quote. There are 2 different on-line forms, one for lock, stock & barrel and the other if you are taking selected things. Fill in the forms and they will email you a quote back.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nige37
This waiting is killing me, just to keep me going im trying to find avarage prices for shipping and if anybody can recomend a good one to use, i know it depends on what you take and storage costs ect. but any info at this point would be useful.

What to take will be our next problem and what to do with all the other stuff, i'm dreading that part, all that sentimental stuff from when the kids were babies, do we keep it or dump it ?? the big question

Nigel

HI there
I ended up getting over 11 quotes, mostly online based on what Allied Pickfords told me when they came around to do a survey.... They are the only ones that offered to do a survey. In the end they were all around the same mark, but Allied Pickfords undercut the rest in price - they were definitely the lowest - which we are happy about because they pack, unpack and have pickfords both ends to do the work, not contractors. We dont have that much stuff, just personal effects - books, photos, computer etc... and as for sentimental stuff, irreplaceable - take as much as you can!! It will be reminders of your old life, in your new country!!!

JP
Old Mar 27th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jasper pentop
HI there
I ended up getting over 11 quotes, mostly online based on what Allied Pickfords told me when they came around to do a survey.... They are the only ones that offered to do a survey. In the end they were all around the same mark, but Allied Pickfords undercut the rest in price - they were definitely the lowest - which we are happy about because they pack, unpack and have pickfords both ends to do the work, not contractors. We dont have that much stuff, just personal effects - books, photos, computer etc... and as for sentimental stuff, irreplaceable - take as much as you can!! It will be reminders of your old life, in your new country!!!

JP
Thanks Jasper i'll give them a go
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

HI there

JP
yeah, but you didn't say how much! i'm looking for something under £50 so that i can stop worrying about the expense of taking the dogs, the flights, buying a car when we get there, renting til we get sorted, blah blah. on top of the wedding before we go.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dawn kirbyshire
yeah, but you didn't say how much! i'm looking for something under £50 so that i can stop worrying about the expense of taking the dogs, the flights, buying a car when we get there, renting til we get sorted, blah blah. on top of the wedding before we go.

£500 for 70 cubic feet (ten cartons or so). if you are just after a box of things for unde £100 try www.excess-baggage.com
Realistically £50 will get you no where! we were hoping for only £300 for what we had... someone quote us £900 for the same amount so shop around

I do sympathise with the escualting price of everything.... if its not one thing, its something else... xrays, police check, solicitor for stat decs and so on and so on...

Consider it this way: would you pay the same amount for a life long holiday in a friendly, warm country!!!... we both know the answer
Old Mar 28th 2004, 5:25 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Excess Baggage quoted me
195 cubic feet of effects = £1200.00 (approx)
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

£500 for 70 cubic feet (ten cartons or so). if you are just after a box of things for unde £100 try www.excess-baggage.com
Realistically £50 will get you no where! we were hoping for only £300 for what we had... someone quote us £900 for the same amount so shop around

I do sympathise with the escualting price of everything.... if its not one thing, its something else... xrays, police check, solicitor for stat decs and so on and so on...

Consider it this way: would you pay the same amount for a life long holiday in a friendly, warm country!!!... we both know the answer
oh that's not too bad. i was expecting thousands! thanks jasper. now i can get back to worrying about my 19 year old daughter's terrible response to the confirmation of receipt of application letter we received yesterday. apparently she doesn't want us to go! dawn
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:44 am
Jaj

I suggest you search on this forum for previous discussions along this
line. There has been some debate in the past over whether older
children have any moral right to veto a family's migration. If she
chooses not to go with you she may consider herself quite foolish in
hindsight.

There are many cases where older children do not migrate with their
family, and then deeply regret it later on (as it's often impossible to
sponsor them later on).

After 2 years you can get citizenship, and British people can have dual