Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Shall I 'lose' my degree to get a certified copy?

Shall I 'lose' my degree to get a certified copy?

Old May 1st 2013, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

netts03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shall I 'lose' my degree to get a certified copy?

Hi,

I need a certified copy of my degree and PGCE in order to complete the skills assessment to come a teacher, but my University will not issue certified copies. Apparently there should only be one copy of a degree certificate so unless I have lost the original one they will not send a certified copy.

Any ideas? Shall a "lose" my degree and get one or will a photocopy signed by an approved person to certify it do? I think for teaching this can be a Head Teacher, Lawyer etc...

Would love to hear what other teachers did.

Thanks

Last edited by netts03; May 1st 2013 at 12:40 pm.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I 'loose' my degree to get a certified copy?

Originally Posted by netts03
Hi,

I need a certified copy of my degree and PGCE in order to complete the skills assessment to come a teacher, but my University will not issue certified copies. Apparently there should only be one copy of a degree certificate so unless I have lost the original one they will not send a certified copy.

Any ideas? Shall a "loose" my degree and get one or will a photocopy signed by an approved person to certify it do? I think for teaching this can be a Head Teacher, Lawyer etc...

Would love to hear what other teachers did.

Thanks
Hi netts, other people here will be able to confirm whether or not this is correct, but my understanding of an acceptable certified document in Australia is simply a clear photocopy that is certified as a true and correct copy of the original - the person certifying it can be such as a barrister, solicitor, medical doctor, judge, justice of the peace, police officer and I think a few others. Not sure about teachers but a quick Google should see you right. I wouldn't be messing around pretending to lose your degree when there's no need.

ps, it's 'lose', not 'loose'
Old May 1st 2013, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi netts, other people here will be able to confirm whether or not this is correct, but my understanding of an acceptable certified document in Australia is simply a clear photocopy that is certified as a true and correct copy of the original - the person certifying it can be such as a barrister, solicitor, medical doctor, judge, justice of the peace, police officer and I think a few others. Not sure about teachers but a quick Google should see you right. I wouldn't be messing around pretending to lose your degree when there's no need.

ps, it's 'lose', not 'loose'
Yep, you're right, just take a colour photocopy, then get one of those officials to certify that it is a true copy of the original
Old May 1st 2013, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I was getting worried, the cost alone was significant (£45). Sorry about my spelling. X
Old May 1st 2013, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I was getting worried, the cost alone was significant (£45). Sorry about my spelling. X
Very common in Aus to be asked for certified copies of this that and the other. As a result many shopping centres have JPs who offer their services each day to do this Also its quite odd to find how many JPs there are around - I work with no less than six!!!
Old May 1st 2013, 1:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very common in Aus to be asked for certified copies of this that and the other. As a result many shopping centres have JPs who offer their services each day to do this Also its quite odd to find how many JPs there are around - I work with no less than six!!!
I wonder what the collective noun for a group of JPs is? A Judicial sounds rather good

Netts, the 'loose'/'lose' thing is a common error these days. As opposed to the 'olden days' when I went to school and getting it wrong meant a whack on the head with a wooden blackboard duster
Old May 1st 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Very common in Aus to be asked for certified copies of this that and the other. As a result many shopping centres have JPs who offer their services each day to do this
In Qld you find them in shopping centres, in Victoria you tend to find JPs at police stations. Other states may vary where you find them too I guess.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. On a steep learning curve, but learning fast! I have dyslexia so I have learned to live with my spelling, it can drive me mad at times though. Filling in immigration forms is a nightmare when you have dyslexia, but then my husband reassures me it is pretty confusing even if you don't.

Old May 1st 2013, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. On a steep learning curve, but learning fast! I have dyslexia so I have learned to live with my spelling, it can drive me mad at times though. Filling in immigration forms is a nightmare when you have dyslexia, but then my husband reassures me it is pretty confusing even if you don't.

To have completed a teaching degree while dealing with dyslexia is a great achievement, congratulations! I think you're husband's right about the forms
Old May 1st 2013, 4:08 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

do check carefully who they require to certify your copy and what wording etc is required. For my medical degree etc the requirements were subtely different to those required by my wife for her work registration. Take a print out from the relevant page if you can. Mine could only be certified by a notary public in the UK - medical practitioner etc was not allowed
Old May 1st 2013, 9:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what the collective noun for a group of JPs is? A Judicial sounds rather good
Justices of the Peace is the collective noun.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

and it's free!
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Justices of the Peace is the collective noun.
That's the plural, I was thinking of a collective name for them, such as a gaggle of geese or a pride of lions. Come to think of it, my example should have been a judiciary, rather than a judicial, but that one's already been taken for judges.
I might leave it then, who wants to work that hard?
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the plural, I was thinking of a collective name for them, such as a gaggle of geese or a pride of lions. Come to think of it, my example should have been a judiciary, rather than a judicial, but that one's already been taken for judges.
I might leave it then, who wants to work that hard?
Pack of Peacers sounds good to me.
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Pack of Peacers sounds good to me.
Perfect!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.