Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by aus2be
Yeah we will be in the air by the time you get to Airport. It is going to go in so quickly and it will be 18th before we know it

I only decided a few weeks ago that I didnt want to take everything with us and just to buy new when we get there but if the person who is buying the house doesnt want to buy it all as a job lot then we will ship everything as we will never get it all sold individually.

How you feeling about the big move??

Blimey, not long now for you, are you getting excited?

Its hard knowing what to do with your stuff as its expensive to ship, isn't it?

I'm glad we bought our things as it really made a difference having familiar stuff again, although we did buy quite a lot of new things whilst we were waiting for the container.

Good luck with the move

Sam
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

hydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the roughhydeteru is a jewel in the rough

Hi Flyaway

Congrats on your visa grant! Any tips for me? I've applied on 8Jan08 - pls share with me(PM me) the contents of your complaint letter ... Thought of putting one in as well if it helps
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:44 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

hydeteru ring and annoy them know its a pain getting up late or early but can be worth it and do the letter

we spent all day Monday sorting out bank and medicare registered with center link not that we will be using them LOL

we also picked up the keys to our friends house we are meant to be renting and had a look its in a good spot close to everything bit of a walk to the school but that will shift my baby weight the house needs some TLC but ill be happier there I think at least i can walk to a shop I love walking and were we are now you need a car to get to a shop. now have to see what our friends want for rent HMMMM

Oh Dh started work and so far so good he is the only foreigner LOL they are all Australians

oh it was so hot yesterday and its spring here and the mossies are out in force were we are (surrounded by a rain forest) so my poor feet are bitten to pieces just as well they haven't got near the baby

any way enough of my ramblings

Nic back on the knees till you exchange
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:07 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by funshine
YES - thats what the agent said - and we also phoned Singapore airways and they also said that - you must be feeling like us - worried we will turn up at the airport with loads of baggage only to be told we only have 20kg but - I am sure its true - we will call again I think to double check again

How are you both feeeling??
That's what i'm scared of, being stranded at the airport with 80 kg's extra

Originally Posted by Baby75
hydeteru ring and annoy them know its a pain getting up late or early but can be worth it and do the letter

we spent all day Monday sorting out bank and medicare registered with center link not that we will be using them LOL

we also picked up the keys to our friends house we are meant to be renting and had a look its in a good spot close to everything bit of a walk to the school but that will shift my baby weight the house needs some TLC but ill be happier there I think at least i can walk to a shop I love walking and were we are now you need a car to get to a shop. now have to see what our friends want for rent HMMMM

Oh Dh started work and so far so good he is the only foreigner LOL they are all Australians

oh it was so hot yesterday and its spring here and the mossies are out in force were we are (surrounded by a rain forest) so my poor feet are bitten to pieces just as well they haven't got near the baby

any way enough of my ramblings

Nic back on the knees till you exchange
The rental sounds good and i'm sure you'll soon make it into a lovely home. I was reading on the Australia thread about mossies - there's something called mossie click, or something like that, that people swear by.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:10 am
Claireg

claireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud of

Hi everyone

Found your thread and its a good read catching up on everyone

We have just had the valuer/surveyor out he was only he 10mins top! we should be complete for the 30th of this month (fingers and legs crossed) and leave for the Gold Coast on the 08th October.

I dont know about anyone else but i am soooooo tired, worrying about things like people xmas prezzies! OH has gone mad and told me not to buy them but i feel guilty and hoping that we find somewhere nice to live oh and will we receive our furniture before xmas!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Blimey, not long now for you, are you getting excited?

Its hard knowing what to do with your stuff as its expensive to ship, isn't it?

I'm glad we bought our things as it really made a difference having familiar stuff again, although we did buy quite a lot of new things whilst we were waiting for the container.

Good luck with the move

Sam
Hi Sam

Great to hear from you.

Im glad that you are getting on ok in Tas I often thing of you and wonder how you are doing.

Yeah I am a little indecisive about my stuff but will have to hurry up and make a decision wont we? See OH and I are taking 6 months out and going to travel all around Australia and it would cost quite a bit of money to store the contents of our house as well.

The time is going to fly in and before we know it we will be in Aus

Nadine
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

shellynelly will become famous soon enoughshellynelly will become famous soon enough

hello everyone

we flew with singapore airlines a few days ago to perth. 2 adults 2 kids we were all allowed 40kg, you dont need anything in writing as long as its the first time you are entering oz on your visa, you can take as many cases as you want has long as they dont weigh more than 32kg each, we brought 6 cases. 4 hand luggage and laptop in a seperate bag, we were a little overweight on our cases but they didnt charge us, the staff on singapore airlines are very nice and friendly, and the airport at singapore is out of this world really modern spotless, you can go swimming out doors which refreshed us for the next journey, you can go in a place where the butterflies land on your hands the kids loved it,
good luck everyone have a safe journey
michelle
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i know its all linked my DH visa is on his old passport but when we entered Australia on his new one it was there. its all on computer now you dont need the sticker any more as long as you have a copy of your grant letter

but ring them to be sure
I've had a right hooha with it Niamh - waiting for an email from our CO. Already had a reply to my general enquiry online which was barely understandable and incorrect - so I rang them at 2am. Spoke to someone sensible who said we had to have the correct passport numbers....

Originally Posted by hydeteru
Hi Flyaway

Congrats on your visa grant! Any tips for me? I've applied on 8Jan08 - pls share with me(PM me) the contents of your complaint letter ... Thought of putting one in as well if it helps
I didn't write anything spectacular. I just asked if they could give us a reasonable idea of when the visa would be granted as we had been waiting 8 months and the timescale we had been given was 4-7 months (475 visa). I said I needed to know as we had frontloaded the meds and if it was going to be much longer, we would have to do the meds again - obvioulsly at great expense. i also said that I had sen on various internet forums that hundreds of visas had been granted to post Jan applicants - so I was worried there was something wrong with our application. I wrote all this very politely and said that I knew there were hundreds of people in a similar situation but we had sold our house and were ready to go.

we also picked up the keys to our friends house we are meant to be renting and had a look its in a good spot close to everything bit of a walk to the school but that will shift my baby weight :: the house needs some TLC but ill be happier there I think at least i can walk to a shop I love walking and were we are now you need a car to get to a shop. now have to see what our friends want for rent HMMMM

any way enough of my ramblings :

Nic back on the knees till you exchange ::
Thanks hun!!! God knows when it will happen.

Take vit E for mozzie bites - apparently it helps.

Are you going to take your friends house??? If they are going to charge a fortune I would make sure you can't get something better. They haven't been very good to you.:curse:

Good luck with OH's new job - the money will be lovely I should imagine after all this time!

Originally Posted by claireg
Hi everyone

Found your thread and its a good read catching up on everyone :tp:

We have just had the valuer/surveyor out he was only he 10mins top! we should be complete for the 30th of this month (fingers and legs crossed) and leave for the Gold Coast on the 08th October.

I dont know about anyone else but i am soooooo tired, worrying about things like people xmas prezzies! OH has gone mad and told me not to buy them but i feel guilty and hoping that we find somewhere nice to live oh and will we receive our furniture before xmas!!!!!!!!!!
Fingers crossed for a smooth sale - sounds like it is all go for you too!!!

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi Sam

Great to hear from you.

Im glad that you are getting on ok in Tas I often thing of you and wonder how you are doing.

Yeah I am a little indecisive about my stuff but will have to hurry up and make a decision wont we?:See OH and I are taking 6 months out and going to travel all around Australia and it would cost quite a bit of money to store the contents of our house as well.:

The time is going to fly in and before we know it we will be in Aus

Nadine
How exciting to be having 6 months travelling!!!

Originally Posted by shellynelly
hello everyone

we flew with singapore airlines a few days ago to perth. 2 adults 2 kids we were all allowed 40kg, you dont need anything in writing as long as its the first time you are entering oz on your visa, you can take as many cases as you want has long as they dont weigh more than 32kg each, we brought 6 cases. 4 hand luggage and laptop in a seperate bag, we were a little overweight on our cases but they didnt charge us, the staff on singapore airlines are very nice and friendly, and the airport at singapore is out of this world really modern spotless, you can go swimming out doors which refreshed us for the next journey, you can go in a place where the butterflies land on your hands the kids loved it,
good luck everyone have a safe journey
michelle
Sounds lovely!!! (The airport - not the luggage!)
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:30 pm

What's the plan now Nic? Still aiming for January?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967
What's the plan now Nic? Still aiming for January?
No plans yet - have to exchange on this house first!!! Still think Jan at the latest, however we will validate in march if the sale falls through.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fly Away
No plans yet - have to exchange on this house first!!! Still think Jan at the latest, however we will validate in march if the sale falls through.
HEY YOU IT WON'T FALL THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KAREN
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
HEY YOU IT WON'T FALL THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KAREN
Thanks Karen, glad you have faith!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:13 am

I've been debating whether to mention this, then this morning i thought, what the hell, so here it is..........................

Have any of you started to wake up every morning wondering what the hell you're doing? Have you started to question the reasons you're giving up good jobs, good schools, nice house for the unknown in Australia?

I don't know if what i'm feeling is normal, it's a bit like a grieving process for everything i'm about to give up, and i don't think it's helped by people at work constantly asking whether we've got jobs to go to, but the wobbles have started again, much worse than before, and we're due to fly out on the 22nd October

The waiting to go hasn't helped either, more time to think and worry, the current financial crisis is a nightmare as well, we've lost loads since we first submitted our application. We've got the dogs blood tests next week, which i'm worried about, so maybe i'll feel better once they come back I don't want to put a downer on anyone's dreams, i guess i just want to see if other people are feeling the same.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

I've been debating whether to mention this, then this morning i thought, what the hell, so here it is..........................

Have any of you started to wake up every morning wondering what the hell you're doing? Have you started to question the reasons you're giving up good jobs, good schools, nice house for the unknown in Australia?

I don't know if what i'm feeling is normal, it's a bit like a grieving process for everything i'm about to give up, and i don't think it's helped by people at work constantly asking whether we've got jobs to go to, but the wobbles have started again, much worse than before, and we're due to fly out on the 22nd October

The waiting to go hasn't helped either, more time to think and worry, the current financial crisis is a nightmare as well, we've lost loads since we first submitted our application. We've got the dogs blood tests next week, which i'm worried about, so maybe i'll feel better once they come back I don't want to put a downer on anyone's dreams, i guess i just want to see if other people are feeling the same.
Mary -

I wonder that too sometimes.

Because of the financial crisis spreading, I'm feeling more and more that it's a good time to go. For us it's more opportunity for DH - and warmer climate for all of us. For our children, it's a better life as they reach adulthood. For my husband and I perhaps a better retirement.

Life takes many unknown turns. I'm sure you would have lost a lot in these current financial times anyway - almost no one is untouched in some way.

Recently I've become more anxious to go
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I havent felt like this. But, to be honest, its probably because I'm not moving a whole family over. Its more of a commitment for you but for me, I can turn around and come home whenever I want.

But, at this stage of the process, thinking about whether you are doing the right thing is wasted energy. You're doing it, no going back now. Just be positive about it and keep an open mind. If you arrive over there trying to compare it to living in the UK, you'll have a hard time finding your feet. I'm going over seeing it as a holiday to start with. Financially I'm secure and am confident about finding work wherever I end up.

Also, you need to remember your reasons for wanting to do it in the first place. If those reasons are still true, then you are still doing the right thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.