Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by loubiegreen
Hi all,

We can join you all again as

WE HAVE GOT OUR VISA, WE HAVE GOT OUR VISA, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA.

It is such a nice feeling at long last.

Thanks to all that have given us very good advice.

Kind regards Lou xx
FANTASTIC!!

Many congratulations!!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Hi all,

Kind regards Lou xx
CONGRATULATIONS
Welcome to the club!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Way Hey! welcome to visatown.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

mervinp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by funshine
beat you to it! 34 days to go until we leave for Brissy! 12 days left at work - who's counting?!
Hello Funshine,

Not the correct thread for this...but I am following your latest post.

I see you guys are in Brissy already. Good on you...! We have just started the process, from Durban South Africa and like you I have been in IT for more than 10 years with no degree. I need to do the RPL for the skills assessement and I stumbled onto this site from a google search which took me to the closed thread, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450012 , I don't see much pointers offered in that thread, but you were obviously successful with the Skills Assessment and RPL. Please PM or email me if my address shows in my profile, I would really appreciate any pointers and/or examples on it's structure and type of projects referred to...there have been so many...just to think of them now....

Kind Regards

Mervin
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:42 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Hey Mary, things are ironing out for you? they are for me too. Still job hunting but feel more aware of everything around me and not such a panic about being able to afford to live here. Its actually much cheaper when yo get into a routine.

the bedding problem, we've all been there. Big W, Target or K Mart are the places to buy these things. Much cheaper then other places and not bad quality.

Was out on saturday night and we got talking to some people in a sports bar. Meeting one of the girls again this week. A friend of mine moved over on saturday and he confirmed that i was right to go for the 175 and not just WHV it until I find sponsorship. He is in an awful panic about everything.

Mary, be sure to head east some time and see us all.
Thanks for that Nige, we're in the West if you want a change! We're slowly finding our way around now. Still not got a car, can't make our minds up whether to buy a used one or a new one, but decide we must!!

Getting use to public transport now - it's very cheap, we bought a family ticket yesterday and it cost $8.40 and we could use it all day on the bus, train, ferry etc.

How did the date go??? Things sound like they're on the up for you!

I'm feeling homesick, not really for people at the moment, i think it's because for the first time in my life i don't know where anything is and i'm completely out of my comfort zone.

Originally Posted by jane BK
Mary

I know what you mean about the wobbles - do you remember me answering your wobble moment - well answer me now! ARGHHHHH Starting with shipping companies already and can't imagine I'll ever get everything sorted. Then there are the pets, not forgetting the small matter of finding a rental house (we have to view in Canberra before we can sign) and jobs and schools. The list is long.

It may be cold there - but it snowed here overnight!

Thanks for tip re bedding.

Our (90% cash) buyers want a full building survey of our house - still sending messages they want to go quickly, but the house is 99 years old and will have issues. I feel another barter over price coming on! Can't book anything definitely until we exchange as most of our money is tied up in the house. I know I should be grateful for this stress, not the waiting for visa stress, but for all those still waiting - this is different in a new and big way!

Mary - keep going, the sun will shine soon. When we get there, I have to find full time work as I'm the applicant - with four kids I'm dreading how I'll feel about that, but it is going to be worth (remind me!!!!!!!!)

You'll get sorted, just take everything one step at a time. First thing is to get quotes and then decide who to use, then forget about them and move onto the next job on the list.

My kids are really missing their friends - found out at the end of last week that the school i've got them in is the worse in the region. The UK school was the best in the County and the UK college was 2nd in the Country and they were free!! - it's been a bloody nightmare. To get the same standard is gonna cost me about $7,000 a year for each child - do your homework before you leave, just wish i had

I'm trying not to be too negative, my experiences etc are completely different to others, and what we make of things is also different, but if i had my time again (don't forget i've only been here two minutes and i'm homesick, make of that what you will!), I would've rented the house and not sold it. In 3 months time i may feel completely different and i hope i do - maybe if i can get the kids settled into a better school i will feel more positive about the future, at the moment, i feel crap that i've taken them from everything that they loved - just keep expecting Coach Carter to pop up!!!! (and YES IT'S THAT BAD!!!)

Anyone with any positive comments on the above please post - i desperately need someone to make me feel like i've not destroyed my kids lives!

Last edited by mary1967; Nov 2nd 2008 at 11:46 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:44 pm

Hi all,

Kind regards Lou xx

Brilliant News!!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:48 pm

How's things going for you Nic???

Anyone heard off Niamh????

If anyone wants to join my facebook, just PM me and i'll give you the details.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:52 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mary

great to hear from you, dont worry wobbles are normal youll find your feet, and you will have a great time.

the weather here is to hot I need to be cold i think

we havent got a new rental yet should hear back about one today I hope !

Oh and i hear you on the internet and phone they are way behind and expensive!!

we have decided to go home planning on june, going on a new adventure going to ship our car out to india or sinagpore and drive to ireland across europe only talk now have lots of reserch in to it. mad i know

Originally Posted by mary1967
6th page!!!!!!! Where is everyone????

Ok, quick update (still on the library pc), the weather here is freezing - apparently it's only gone cold since i arrived - say no more!!!

Went to arrange internet, tv and phone yesterday, it took 2 hours in the shop - bloody nightmare! You can't buy them all together like you can in the UK, you've got to buy them individually, and even though we've ordered broadband, we've got to wait to see if they can connect us - they're about 5 years behind the UK, so frustrating.

Had a major wobble yesterday - told Mick i was going home, but by the afternoon i felt ok - made better by the fact that the kids had a good day at school, just hope it continues and they make firm friends.

We're hiring a car today and then we'll be able to look round the car showrooms for a new car. Public transport is good and clean, the only thing we've found is that the bus drivers don't know the fares or the names of anywhere other than the final destination............... We've got to sort out a smartrider card that you can top-up and then you can just get on and off without having to ask and pay more than you should.

People are really friendly, especially expats - My OH got talking to this little old lady while he was ordering us a coffee and just before she left the cafe, she came over and handed us her number and said to give her a call if we need anything, even the school receptionist gave me her home number incase i want to have a chat!!!!

The animals arrived safely, thank the lord - i'm hoping to go up tomorrow when we've got the hire car. I wasn't gonna bother, thought it would be too upsetting for them, but the woman at the quaratine centre recommended we go, so go we shall!

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm missing my daily messages - where is everyone???

Has Basty left yet? Fly Away, any news? Niamh, did you sort the rental out?

Just remembered, what you read about bedding and stuff being expensive - IT IS!!!! If you've got room in your case or in your container, i'd definitely recommend you buying some for any duvets/beds you're bringing over (Primark have some really nice stuff and believe me, the stuff over here is horrible and expensive).
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:10 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Mary im here still plodding along, aged lots lately but there is light at the end of the tunnel dont know if you seen my thread on our friends well they arent any more but have a look if you havent and it will fill you in!

I hope you feel better soon, I felt the same way its very strange thinking I must get some pillows or shoes or what ever it might be and not knowing were the best plae to go to is.

I hope the homesickness eases for you and you can get on and enjoy your new life and sure if you deide that its not for you at least you tried and got to see a new country thats the way I look on it. have to agree about renting out the house bit even if you deide never to go back its always good to have your options open

have to go sick baby poor little thing is very unsettled today

Take are Mary

how is every one else doing ok I hope
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967
Thanks for that Nige, we're in the West if you want a change! We're slowly finding our way around now. Still not got a car, can't make our minds up whether to buy a used one or a new one, but decide we must!!

Getting use to public transport now - it's very cheap, we bought a family ticket yesterday and it cost $8.40 and we could use it all day on the bus, train, ferry etc.

How did the date go??? Things sound like they're on the up for you!

I'm feeling homesick, not really for people at the moment, i think it's because for the first time in my life i don't know where anything is and i'm completely out of my comfort zone.

You'll get sorted, just take everything one step at a time. First thing is to get quotes and then decide who to use, then forget about them and move onto the next job on the list.

My kids are really missing their friends - found out at the end of last week that the school i've got them in is the worse in the region. The UK school was the best in the County and the UK college was 2nd in the Country and they were free!! - it's been a bloody nightmare. To get the same standard is gonna cost me about $7,000 a year for each child - do your homework before you leave, just wish i had

I'm trying not to be too negative, my experiences etc are completely different to others, and what we make of things is also different, but if i had my time again (don't forget i've only been here two minutes and i'm homesick, make of that what you will!), I would've rented the house and not sold it. In 3 months time i may feel completely different and i hope i do - maybe if i can get the kids settled into a better school i will feel more positive about the future, at the moment, i feel crap that i've taken them from everything that they loved - just keep expecting Coach Carter to pop up!!!! (and YES IT'S THAT BAD!!!)

Anyone with any positive comments on the above please post - i desperately need someone to make me feel like i've not destroyed my kids lives!
Thanks Mary, date went well. I'll be seeing her again.

Do you absolutely positively have to live in Perth? If things dont improve, would you be able to consider moving to another City? Ok, Perth is cheaper but would you be able to afford to move to somewhere like Sydney? I think you'd really like it in Sydney, I think its awesome. Went I went to my first CBD meetup, one of the guys asked me how i found it. I said I think its awesome. He said 'yeah but you're only here a few days, give it time'. A few weeks later and he asks me again. Again I said 'I think its still awesome'. He said 'yeah i was just testing you last time, it really is awesome here'. Dont know a thing about Perth though.

Do you kids like being in Oz?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:55 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Hi everyone.... can I check in?

Just read the last two pages as I haven't got time to read the whole lot! But a few familiar names popping up so nice to see what you're up to.

We're off to Perth in a week for the validation trip - Mary where abouts in Perth are you? Hope you feel less homesick soon - I'm sure once your children settle and find good friends you'll feel much better

Wish you all luck to those just about to go or those just settling and I'll try to keep up from now
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:05 am
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

mornin all...

hey mary - i'm sure you haven't ruined the kids' lives! take some time to do some more research and see if you can get them into a better one for Feb (i think that's when they're back to school)

jassyb - so jealous you're off before us!

nige - glad to hear things are going well for you out there...have you been able to watch the footie?

niamh - how's the little 'un, any better today?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:46 am
Loving the Sunshine

funshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant futurefunshine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mervinp
Hello Funshine,

Not the correct thread for this...but I am following your latest post.

I see you guys are in Brissy already. Good on you...! We have just started the process, from Durban South Africa and like you I have been in IT for more than 10 years with no degree. I need to do the RPL for the skills assessement and I stumbled onto this site from a google search which took me to the closed thread, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450012 , I don't see much pointers offered in that thread, but you were obviously successful with the Skills Assessment and RPL. Please PM or email me if my address shows in my profile, I would really appreciate any pointers and/or examples on it's structure and type of projects referred to...there have been so many...just to think of them now....

Kind Regards

Mervin
Hi Mervin - I will pm/email you now...
Hello all - we are loving Brisbane - been here just over 2 weeks now.
We are looking for a car to buy - otherwise all is well and enjoying the sunshine. Time on BE is limited as we are sharing a laptop and have a 2 year old to entertain during the day!
Tracey
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:56 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Originally Posted by AshyB
mornin all...

hey mary - i'm sure you haven't ruined the kids' lives! take some time to do some more research and see if you can get them into a better one for Feb (i think that's when they're back to school)

jassyb - so jealous you're off before us!

nige - glad to hear things are going well for you out there...have you been able to watch the footie?

niamh - how's the little 'un, any better today?
Hi Ashy buddyboy!... maybe off before you but ours is just a holiday... when are your flights... I've forgotten!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:05 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasb
Hi Ashy buddyboy!... maybe off before you but ours is just a holiday... when are your flights... I've forgotten!
yeah i know - i just wanted to rub it in!

we fly out in a month's time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.