Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:11 pm
  #436  
we're there!
 
AshyB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 364
AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by mary1967 View Post
Hi everyone!!!!

Tried to email from Singapore and just as i was about to hit the submit button the bloody thing cut me off:curse: Didn't have time then to send another.

Anyway, I'm here!!!! It's done nothing but rain since we got here We're still at our friends getting over jet lag - the rental is lovely and ready to move into, which we should be doing over the next few days.

The girls start school on Monday - just hoping they settle in quickly.

My minds still in a spin, so many things to do and sort out. I've been a bit emotional, but my friend has been brilliant. We've been out all morning at garage sales - managed to pick up a machine machine, it's like new and only cost $190.

Not got internet connection yet so it's difficult to log on and keep track, but i will as soon as i can.

Fiona - what a lovely surprise i had waiting for me!!! Thank you so much, made my day.

My eldest daughters just got herself a Saturday job!! beat her dad

Anyway, good luck to everyone and i'll be in touch soon.

Mary
hey!

glad to hear you made it safe and sound...

nothing but rain huh...well since you left it's been nice and sunny here

girls in school, 1 employed - you sound so flippin organised you make mary poppins look like a <insert really un-organised persons name here>...

see ya soon!
AshyB is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:31 pm
  #437  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by mary1967 View Post
Hi everyone!!!!

Tried to email from Singapore and just as i was about to hit the submit button the bloody thing cut me off:curse: Didn't have time then to send another.

Anyway, I'm here!!!! It's done nothing but rain since we got here We're still at our friends getting over jet lag - the rental is lovely and ready to move into, which we should be doing over the next few days.

The girls start school on Monday - just hoping they settle in quickly.

My minds still in a spin, so many things to do and sort out. I've been a bit emotional, but my friend has been brilliant. We've been out all morning at garage sales - managed to pick up a machine machine, it's like new and only cost $190.

Not got internet connection yet so it's difficult to log on and keep track, but i will as soon as i can.

Fiona - what a lovely surprise i had waiting for me!!! Thank you so much, made my day.

My eldest daughters just got herself a Saturday job!! beat her dad

Anyway, good luck to everyone and i'll be in touch soon.

Mary
Mary delighted you have landed safely and finding your feet hope all your dreams come through

Funshine good to see you settleing as well , that was some storm the other night we got the tale end on the sunshine coast moving to Brisbane as soon as possible ourselves
Baby75 is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:41 pm
  #438  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 232
jane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by tiger222 View Post
You'll get it all sorted and no problem. Why not have Christmas in Australia?!?!

Catherine
Cost of flights!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus we have all kids birthdays in weeks leading up to then so is proving a challenge finding a date for anything at moment.

Got boxes - now doing list of what to get rid of. Long debate about our lovely tent - not sure we can get it appropriately cleaned so will probably have to be sold. Don't care about furniture to get rid of but the tent feels quite a sad thing to leave behind, probably coz of memories etc.

Negotiated a discount at large stationery store for large quantity of boxes - now just have to fill them. Daughter no 2 already said the box for the c..p/personal possessions (choose which option depending on whether you are daughter or mother!) is not big enough. Told her to start sorting!

Off now to stick yellow dots on things we are not taking and have told all our friends that if they visit and like something with a yellow dot they are obliged to take it when they leave. Should save a few trips to the dump!

Head hurts now!
jane BK is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:37 pm
  #439  
BE Enthusiast
 
karensoutherden's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Geelong
Posts: 548
karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by jane BK View Post
Cost of flights!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus we have all kids birthdays in weeks leading up to then so is proving a challenge finding a date for anything at moment.

Got boxes - now doing list of what to get rid of. Long debate about our lovely tent - not sure we can get it appropriately cleaned so will probably have to be sold. Don't care about furniture to get rid of but the tent feels quite a sad thing to leave behind, probably coz of memories etc.

Negotiated a discount at large stationery store for large quantity of boxes - now just have to fill them. Daughter no 2 already said the box for the c..p/personal possessions (choose which option depending on whether you are daughter or mother!) is not big enough. Told her to start sorting!

Off now to stick yellow dots on things we are not taking and have told all our friends that if they visit and like something with a yellow dot they are obliged to take it when they leave. Should save a few trips to the dump!

Head hurts now!

TENTS!! we scrubbed ours with jeyes fluid as couldn't leave it behind
not sure we will use it in oz what with snakes and spiders but are taking them both as my sister ensures us we will
good luck
karenx
karensoutherden is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:43 pm
  #440  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 232
jane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by karensoutherden View Post
TENTS!! we scrubbed ours with jeyes fluid as couldn't leave it behind
not sure we will use it in oz what with snakes and spiders but are taking them both as my sister ensures us we will
good luck
karenx
Useful info - let me know if they let it in as I'd rather take ours as it is lovely! Just done letters to cancel music lessons at school - one more thing off the list! Back to under the beds... if I never post again you know I'm trapped in all the "essential" things that teenage girls put under their beds!
jane BK is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:05 pm
  #441  
BE Enthusiast
 
karensoutherden's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Geelong
Posts: 548
karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by jane BK View Post
Useful info - let me know if they let it in as I'd rather take ours as it is lovely! Just done letters to cancel music lessons at school - one more thing off the list! Back to under the beds... if I never post again you know I'm trapped in all the "essential" things that teenage girls put under their beds!
Did you survive the bed test
just going to start sorting the clothes out to take as don't think there is any danger of needing them here!!!!
karensoutherden is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:06 am
  #442  
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,517
mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

6th page!!!!!!! Where is everyone????

Ok, quick update (still on the library pc), the weather here is freezing - apparently it's only gone cold since i arrived - say no more!!!

Went to arrange internet, tv and phone yesterday, it took 2 hours in the shop - bloody nightmare! You can't buy them all together like you can in the UK, you've got to buy them individually, and even though we've ordered broadband, we've got to wait to see if they can connect us - they're about 5 years behind the UK, so frustrating.

Had a major wobble yesterday - told Mick i was going home, but by the afternoon i felt ok - made better by the fact that the kids had a good day at school, just hope it continues and they make firm friends.

We're hiring a car today and then we'll be able to look round the car showrooms for a new car. Public transport is good and clean, the only thing we've found is that the bus drivers don't know the fares or the names of anywhere other than the final destination............... We've got to sort out a smartrider card that you can top-up and then you can just get on and off without having to ask and pay more than you should.

People are really friendly, especially expats - My OH got talking to this little old lady while he was ordering us a coffee and just before she left the cafe, she came over and handed us her number and said to give her a call if we need anything, even the school receptionist gave me her home number incase i want to have a chat!!!!

The animals arrived safely, thank the lord - i'm hoping to go up tomorrow when we've got the hire car. I wasn't gonna bother, thought it would be too upsetting for them, but the woman at the quaratine centre recommended we go, so go we shall!

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm missing my daily messages - where is everyone???

Has Basty left yet? Fly Away, any news? Niamh, did you sort the rental out?

Just remembered, what you read about bedding and stuff being expensive - IT IS!!!! If you've got room in your case or in your container, i'd definitely recommend you buying some for any duvets/beds you're bringing over (Primark have some really nice stuff and believe me, the stuff over here is horrible and expensive).

Last edited by mary1967; Oct 29th 2008 at 1:09 am.
mary1967 is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:46 am
  #443  
BE Forum Addict
 
knockoff nige's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,404
knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by mary1967 View Post
6th page!!!!!!! Where is everyone????

Ok, quick update (still on the library pc), the weather here is freezing - apparently it's only gone cold since i arrived - say no more!!!

Went to arrange internet, tv and phone yesterday, it took 2 hours in the shop - bloody nightmare! You can't buy them all together like you can in the UK, you've got to buy them individually, and even though we've ordered broadband, we've got to wait to see if they can connect us - they're about 5 years behind the UK, so frustrating.

Had a major wobble yesterday - told Mick i was going home, but by the afternoon i felt ok - made better by the fact that the kids had a good day at school, just hope it continues and they make firm friends.

We're hiring a car today and then we'll be able to look round the car showrooms for a new car. Public transport is good and clean, the only thing we've found is that the bus drivers don't know the fares or the names of anywhere other than the final destination............... We've got to sort out a smartrider card that you can top-up and then you can just get on and off without having to ask and pay more than you should.

People are really friendly, especially expats - My OH got talking to this little old lady while he was ordering us a coffee and just before she left the cafe, she came over and handed us her number and said to give her a call if we need anything, even the school receptionist gave me her home number incase i want to have a chat!!!!

The animals arrived safely, thank the lord - i'm hoping to go up tomorrow when we've got the hire car. I wasn't gonna bother, thought it would be too upsetting for them, but the woman at the quaratine centre recommended we go, so go we shall!

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm missing my daily messages - where is everyone???

Has Basty left yet? Fly Away, any news? Niamh, did you sort the rental out?

Just remembered, what you read about bedding and stuff being expensive - IT IS!!!! If you've got room in your case or in your container, i'd definitely recommend you buying some for any duvets/beds you're bringing over (Primark have some really nice stuff and believe me, the stuff over here is horrible and expensive).
Hey Mary, things are ironing out for you? they are for me too. Still job hunting but feel more aware of everything around me and not such a panic about being able to afford to live here. Its actually much cheaper when yo get into a routine.

the bedding problem, we've all been there. Big W, Target or K Mart are the places to buy these things. Much cheaper then other places and not bad quality.

Was out on saturday night and we got talking to some people in a sports bar. Meeting one of the girls again this week. A friend of mine moved over on saturday and he confirmed that i was right to go for the 175 and not just WHV it until I find sponsorship. He is in an awful panic about everything.

Mary, be sure to head east some time and see us all.
knockoff nige is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:02 am
  #444  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
carolinephillips's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 7,580
carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

If you are in sydney go out to belrose and check out the stores there- they do seconds and cheap stuff in a craft shop.
carolinephillips is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:32 am
  #445  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 232
jane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by karensoutherden View Post
Did you survive the bed test
just going to start sorting the clothes out to take as don't think there is any danger of needing them here!!!!
Only just - negotiated quite a bit with daughter no 2 that all her old art work was not for shipping!

Doing cupboard under stairs today - could be worse!
jane BK is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:37 am
  #446  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 232
jane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by mary1967 View Post
6th page!!!!!!! Where is everyone????

Ok, quick update (still on the library pc), the weather here is freezing - apparently it's only gone cold since i arrived - say no more!!!

Went to arrange internet, tv and phone yesterday, it took 2 hours in the shop - bloody nightmare! You can't buy them all together like you can in the UK, you've got to buy them individually, and even though we've ordered broadband, we've got to wait to see if they can connect us - they're about 5 years behind the UK, so frustrating.

Had a major wobble yesterday - told Mick i was going home, but by the afternoon i felt ok - made better by the fact that the kids had a good day at school, just hope it continues and they make firm friends.

We're hiring a car today and then we'll be able to look round the car showrooms for a new car. Public transport is good and clean, the only thing we've found is that the bus drivers don't know the fares or the names of anywhere other than the final destination............... We've got to sort out a smartrider card that you can top-up and then you can just get on and off without having to ask and pay more than you should.

People are really friendly, especially expats - My OH got talking to this little old lady while he was ordering us a coffee and just before she left the cafe, she came over and handed us her number and said to give her a call if we need anything, even the school receptionist gave me her home number incase i want to have a chat!!!!

The animals arrived safely, thank the lord - i'm hoping to go up tomorrow when we've got the hire car. I wasn't gonna bother, thought it would be too upsetting for them, but the woman at the quaratine centre recommended we go, so go we shall!

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm missing my daily messages - where is everyone???

Has Basty left yet? Fly Away, any news? Niamh, did you sort the rental out?

Just remembered, what you read about bedding and stuff being expensive - IT IS!!!! If you've got room in your case or in your container, i'd definitely recommend you buying some for any duvets/beds you're bringing over (Primark have some really nice stuff and believe me, the stuff over here is horrible and expensive).
Mary

I know what you mean about the wobbles - do you remember me answering your wobble moment - well answer me now! ARGHHHHH Starting with shipping companies already and can't imagine I'll ever get everything sorted. Then there are the pets, not forgetting the small matter of finding a rental house (we have to view in Canberra before we can sign) and jobs and schools. The list is long.

It may be cold there - but it snowed here overnight!

Thanks for tip re bedding.

Our (90% cash) buyers want a full building survey of our house - still sending messages they want to go quickly, but the house is 99 years old and will have issues. I feel another barter over price coming on! Can't book anything definitely until we exchange as most of our money is tied up in the house. I know I should be grateful for this stress, not the waiting for visa stress, but for all those still waiting - this is different in a new and big way!

Mary - keep going, the sun will shine soon. When we get there, I have to find full time work as I'm the applicant - with four kids I'm dreading how I'll feel about that, but it is going to be worth (remind me!!!!!!!!)
jane BK is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:51 am
  #447  
BE Enthusiast
 
Wishwewerethere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NSW
Posts: 432
Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by jane BK View Post
Mary

I know what you mean about the wobbles - do you remember me answering your wobble moment - well answer me now! ARGHHHHH Starting with shipping companies already and can't imagine I'll ever get everything sorted. Then there are the pets, not forgetting the small matter of finding a rental house (we have to view in Canberra before we can sign) and jobs and schools. The list is long.

It may be cold there - but it snowed here overnight!

Thanks for tip re bedding.

Our (90% cash) buyers want a full building survey of our house - still sending messages they want to go quickly, but the house is 99 years old and will have issues. I feel another barter over price coming on! Can't book anything definitely until we exchange as most of our money is tied up in the house. I know I should be grateful for this stress, not the waiting for visa stress, but for all those still waiting - this is different in a new and big way!

Mary - keep going, the sun will shine soon. When we get there, I have to find full time work as I'm the applicant - with four kids I'm dreading how I'll feel about that, but it is going to be worth (remind me!!!!!!!!)
Hi Jane

I don't know if you know but either you or your husband can fulfil the full time work for 12 months requisite as long as it is that person who is the main applicant applying for the permanent visa.This job doesn't have to be on the list like before and can be two part time jobs or self employed, just as long as they add up to I think at least 35 hours a week.
Sorry if you already know this but you say it is you who will have to find work beause you were the original 475 applicant, is that right?
Wishwewerethere is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:03 pm
  #448  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 232
jane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant futurejane BK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere View Post
Hi Jane

I don't know if you know but either you or your husband can fulfil the full time work for 12 months requisite as long as it is that person who is the main applicant applying for the permanent visa.This job doesn't have to be on the list like before and can be two part time jobs or self employed, just as long as they add up to I think at least 35 hours a week.
Sorry if you already know this but you say it is you who will have to find work beause you were the original 475 applicant, is that right?
Yep I'm the applicant - I know I can do the two part time but that's what I do now (well about 4 really!) and I have a huge support network here, but there I'll have more limited help so one job would be better to fulfil requirements of visa. Once that is achieved...

Getting there with packing but tomorrow is the house survey so having a worry.

Major issues with mum who is having major strop but am not changing mind. Anyone else having similar problems?
jane BK is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:54 pm
  #449  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
carolinephillips's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 7,580
carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

It's your life and she is being selfish, trying to get you to stop.
It is hard, but she cannot live your life for you and you must do what you feel is right. Just think of her as a whiney 2 year old having a strop because she can't have what she wants. If you give in to her now, you will find she will become ever more controlling...fast forward some years when she has moved in with you and you are at her beck and call. Be strong hun.
see pm for why...

Last edited by carolinephillips; Oct 29th 2008 at 11:57 pm. Reason: needes to add something
carolinephillips is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:09 pm
  #450  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 527
loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Hi all,

We can join you all again as

WE HAVE GOT OUR VISA, WE HAVE GOT OUR VISA, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA.

It is such a nice feeling at long last.

Thanks to all that have given us very good advice.

Kind regards Lou xx
loubiegreen is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.