Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:34 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Ooh I only just found this thread and it's 311 pages long already. That's shocking, just goes to show how often I visit the Immigration forum these days.

Well, it's nice to catch up with you all anyway! Sorry some of you are having problems with houses etc.

We are one of the original Sept 07 applicants who sold our place before getting our visa. We saw the way things were about to turn in December 07 so we got our house on the market quickly and took the first offer we had, only £5k under asking. Offer to completion, only 2 weeks! Eeek! Landed ourselves in a rental until late June this year before flying out early July.

Been here 3 months now, loving every minute of it. Stew found a good job at Brisbane Airport within a week of arriving and we set ourselves up in a complex just outside of Manly. We're now looking at moving north to the North Lakes area as we can't afford to stay in this area long-term and we want to settle in an area that we plan to stay for a number of years now.

Got another little bundle of fun on the way in April and are looking forward to our first Christmas here in Oz.
Congratulations!! I'm sure Niamh (Baby75) will be able to tell you all about giving birth in Australia!

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hello every one thanks for the support

its been a hard few days really thought things would get better for us or at the very least easier.

Our friends rang my Dh the next day and appoligised for some of the things he said but we are planning on moving on as quick as we can from what they are saying they want to charge us more than the last tennants and the house needs a lot of work they want us to do we have to get a pool guy and buy the stuff for the pool there was mold all over the ceilings which we had to sort out as its not healthy for you the last tenant was sick from it i really think they think we are stupid and because we dont know the way things work they can take advantage of us. hell no we arein limbo land at the minute waiting onthemto make there next move Im so fed up now

we wont be telling them were we will be when we go LOL I dont care if i ever see them again. we areplanning on heading to Brisbane money is better if we stay were we are we will only have 30 to our name after bills are paid

with feeling so home sick its making it very easy for meto go home and we have decided we are but not till next may or June I had made that decision before our friends dropped that bombshell Ifeelso much better for that as well

I hope i have internet this week costing afortune on these machines LOL

You've had such a stressful time since you got there i'm not surprised you want to come home - i'm glad that you're giving it until next May/June because i think once you're in your own place, without the friends from hell on your back all the time, you'll probably feel different. If you don't, come home, but try and think of all the reasons why you wanted to go in the first place because they'll still be there when you get back.

I've read about loads of people who returned (Basty came back from NZ) due to homesickness and are now flying back out again. Having 4 little one's, it's gonna be an expensive job to return if you come home and realise you've made a mistake.

We're gonna give it 2 years minimum, even if i hate it, just hoping I don't and the kids settle quickly.

Originally Posted by funshine
Hi Everyone...

Just wanted to find out what broadband service anyone can recommend. We are trying to set up a connection for when we arrive in Brisbane and Telstra/Bigpond have quoted us $30 per month for 200 MG limit or $60 with a 14GB limit – the connection fee is $189 – this is for ADSL.
Is this what we can expect to pay? Any other suggestions? This also ties us into a 12 month contract so we want to make sure we are making the right decision. Any advice appreciated

We had a lovely time yesterday with family - sadly saying goodbye – it has been a very emotional and almost draining few weeks – its a lot to take in I must say. The packers arrive tomorrow morning – so today is the final – pack or throw away day! We have incredibly friendly and supportive neighbours and it is so sad to say goodbye to everyone – we are staying next door from tomorrow night until we leave on Saturday night. I am looking forward to getting to a life of normality.

We were supposed to exchane on our house sale on Friday - but it did not happen - so fingers crossed today please that it happens for us today!!

We sold our car and we are now in a rental - could not live without a car!!!

Our PCs are packed in boxes and DH and I are sharing the laptop...

Hope you are all well...

Talk about organised I haven't even thought about the cost of internet connection etc. Good luck with the exchange today, i know how stressful it is waiting for it to happen especially in the current climate.

We finally sold my OH's car on Friday Didn't think it would ever go. My daughters friend's dad is buying my car for his own daughter and he's happy for us to keep it until we're due to leave, so all's good on that score

Just waiting for the dogs blood test results. I'm also hoping that completion of the house goes through on Friday, so i can pay for the dollars we bought (my OH did a forward contract and put down our completion date as the payment date)

Last edited by mary1967; Oct 13th 2008 at 8:42 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone. All ticking along well on this end. Finding many things to be cheaper over here (although clothes are a bit dearer). Moving out of this place on Friday and into the place in Maroubra. My aunt showed me around Maroubra and la Perouse on Saturday. Stunning place.

Think I've quickly become addicted to Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Dont know if you get them in the UK but they are just too nice.

Kinda wish I had a few bad things to report back as the rest of you seem to have had a few issues. Maybe in a couple of weeks...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Ooh I only just found this thread and it's 311 pages long already. That's shocking, just goes to show how often I visit the Immigration forum these days.

Well, it's nice to catch up with you all anyway! Sorry some of you are having problems with houses etc.

We are one of the original Sept 07 applicants who sold our place before getting our visa. We saw the way things were about to turn in December 07 so we got our house on the market quickly and took the first offer we had, only £5k under asking. Offer to completion, only 2 weeks! Eeek! Landed ourselves in a rental until late June this year before flying out early July.

Been here 3 months now, loving every minute of it. Stew found a good job at Brisbane Airport within a week of arriving and we set ourselves up in a complex just outside of Manly. We're now looking at moving north to the North Lakes area as we can't afford to stay in this area long-term and we want to settle in an area that we plan to stay for a number of years now.

Got another little bundle of fun on the way in April and are looking forward to our first Christmas here in Oz.
Glad to hear all is going well
Originally Posted by Baby75
Hello every one thanks for the support

its been a hard few days really thought things would get better for us or at the very least easier.

Our friends rang my Dh the next day and appoligised for some of the things he said but we are planning on moving on as quick as we can from what they are saying they want to charge us more than the last tennants and the house needs a lot of work they want us to do we have to get a pool guy and buy the stuff for the pool there was mold all over the ceilings which we had to sort out as its not healthy for you the last tenant was sick from it i really think they think we are stupid and because we dont know the way things work they can take advantage of us. hell no we arein limbo land at the minute waiting onthemto make there next move Im so fed up now

we wont be telling them were we will be when we go LOL I dont care if i ever see them again. we areplanning on heading to Brisbane money is better if we stay were we are we will only have 30 to our name after bills are paid

with feeling so home sick its making it very easy for meto go home and we have decided we are but not till next may or June I had made that decision before our friends dropped that bombshell Ifeelso much better for that as well

I hope i have internet this week costing afortune on these machines LOL
Niamh, I feel sick for you honey please get out of there as quick as you can, as Mary said you need to think about all the reasons you went to Oz for - the crappy start and god awful friends has really clouded what shoukld have been a brilliant start to a new life - chin up hun and hang in there - I speak from experience
[QUOTE=funshine;6869267]Hi Everyone...

We were supposed to exchane on our house sale on Friday - but it did not happen - so fingers crossed today please that it happens for us today!!

fingers crossed for you]

Originally Posted by mary1967
Congratulations!! I'm sure Niamh (Baby75) will be able to tell you all about giving birth in Australia!

Just waiting for the dogs blood test results. I'm also hoping that completion of the house goes through on Friday, so i can pay for the dollars we bought (my OH did a forward contract and put down our completion date as the payment date)
Mary, when do you get the results??? and when are the shippers in??
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Hey everyone. All ticking along well on this end. Finding many things to be cheaper over here (although clothes are a bit dearer). Moving out of this place on Friday and into the place in Maroubra. My aunt showed me around Maroubra and la Perouse on Saturday. Stunning place.

Think I've quickly become addicted to Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Dont know if you get them in the UK but they are just too nice.

Kinda wish I had a few bad things to report back as the rest of you seem to have had a few issues. Maybe in a couple of weeks...

Great to hear from you Nige!!! Was wondering where the hell you'd gone.......local talent or krisy kreme doughnut, sounds like you've got your priorties right

I didn't know you had an aunt over there..............i feel quite relieved you're not over there on your own

Originally Posted by Basty
[COLOR="Magenta"]
Mary, when do you get the results??? and when are the shippers in??

Any day this week - stressing like mad at the moment, can't concentrate on anything Shippers are in on Thursday Just hope they've got extra boxes

What about you Fiona? Where are you up to? When do your tenants move in and what day is your furniture going?

We leave the house on Friday (completion permitting) and after dropping the animals at the animal shippers (dog results permitting), we travel to the cottage in the Peak District until Tuesday, so probably won't have internet connection until we get to Singapore on Wednesday How weird does that sound?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

What about you Fiona? Where are you up to? When do your tenants move in and what day is your furniture going?

We leave the house on Friday (completion permitting) and after dropping the animals at the animal shippers (dog results permitting), we travel to the cottage in the Peak District until Tuesday, so probably won't have internet connection until we get to Singapore on Wednesday How weird does that sound?[/QUOTE]

OMG Mary, I just can't quite believe it is here already!! Cat flies 26th (week Sunday), Shippers are in the following Tues and Wed and we fly Friday. Don't know when tenants are in, need to call agent in the morning. It is all going ahead though spoke to the tenants today. We only have 2 more weekends left in England Had to say goodbye to some friends at the weekend and my SIL and niece Out with the girls on Saturday night and then meal Sunday with mum and partner and then the last weekend my dad is down OMG I just can't wait.
Have you been looking at cars and rentals over there, when ever I turn around Carl is looking for cars and me houses
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:07 pm

OMG Mary, I just can't quite believe it is here already!! Cat flies 26th (week Sunday), Shippers are in the following Tues and Wed and we fly Friday. Don't know when tenants are in, need to call agent in the morning. It is all going ahead though spoke to the tenants today. We only have 2 more weekends left in England Had to say goodbye to some friends at the weekend and my SIL and niece Out with the girls on Saturday night and then meal Sunday with mum and partner and then the last weekend my dad is down OMG I just can't wait.
Have you been looking at cars and rentals over there, when ever I turn around Carl is looking for cars and me houses
[/QUOTE]

And to think you applied 2 months after us!!!!! No beating around the bush with you

The saying goodbye bit is hard, although i must say it's my friends who've been more emotional than me i'm probably too stressed to be emotional.

Not even thought about getting a car, although we'll have to get one as soon as possible. My friend who lives in Port Kennedy has got me a rental, It's just down the road from her - we're staying with her for a few days and then moving in. I'm sooooooooo relieved - had visions of us all sleeping on the beach - me, OH, 2 kids, a dog (fingers crossed), and 2 cats
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Mary and Batsy - you guys are BOTH AMAZING!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on being SO ORGANIZED!!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD LUCK BASTY & MARY!
Caroline
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by tiger222

PMSL.............if only you could see how stressed out i am!!!

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
GOOD LUCK BASTY & MARY!
Caroline

Thank you
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

For the record, DH's MEDS have not cleared, yet. It's been 20 days since they arrived at HOC!

His arrived on 24 September 9 am - TOMORROW they'll be processed!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

And to think you applied 2 months after us!!!!! No beating around the bush with you
Def not
The saying goodbye bit is hard, although i must say it's my friends who've been more emotional than me i'm probably too stressed to be emotional.
I was talking to a friend about it this morning, cos I wasn't getting upset either but even though it is sad for us to go we have something soooo exciting to go to, to people we leave behind don't
Not even thought about getting a car, although we'll have to get one as soon as possible. My friend who lives in Port Kennedy has got me a rental, It's just down the road from her - we're staying with her for a few days and then moving in. I'm sooooooooo relieved - had visions of us all sleeping on the beach - me, OH, 2 kids, a dog (fingers crossed), and 2 cats[/QUOTE]

Is it a permenant rental or just one for a couple of weeks?? What have you been told to clean your bike wheels with etc?? Don't know if pressure washing and then disinfectant is ok???

I have to be or I would go crazy - probably a little obsessed
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
GOOD LUCK BASTY & MARY!
Caroline
Thanks
For the record, DH's MEDS have not cleared, yet It's been 20 days since they arrived at HOC!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Def not
I was talking to a friend about it this morning, cos I wasn't getting upset either but even though it is sad for us to go we have something soooo exciting to go to, to people we leave behind don't
Not even thought about getting a car, although we'll have to get one as soon as possible. My friend who lives in Port Kennedy has got me a rental, It's just down the road from her - we're staying with her for a few days and then moving in. I'm sooooooooo relieved - had visions of us all sleeping on the beach - me, OH, 2 kids, a dog (fingers crossed), and 2 cats
Is it a permenant rental or just one for a couple of weeks?? What have you been told to clean your bike wheels with etc?? Don't know if pressure washing and then disinfectant is ok???

I have to be or I would go crazy - probably a little obsessed

Thanks

Fingers crossed for tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Hi we were told jeyes fluid so have scrubbed bikes shoes garden stuff etc with that then jet washed them

good luck on your new life
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

For the record, DH's MEDS have not cleared, yet. It's been 20 days since they arrived at HOC!

STILL NOT CLEARED!!!!

MUST be TOMORROW!!!! That will be 21 days.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi we were told jeyes fluid so have scrubbed bikes shoes garden stuff etc with that then jet washed them

good luck on your new life [/QUOTE]

Thanks, where will I be able to get Jeyes Fluid from???

Where are you heading at the end of Nov??

STILL NOT CLEARED!!!!

MUST be TOMORROW!!!! That will be 21 days.
Bummer - that means I have to keep everything crossed for another 24 hours
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

good luck on your new life
Thanks, where will I be able to get Jeyes Fluid from???

Where are you heading at the end of Nov??

Bummer - that means I have to keep everything crossed for another 24 hours[/QUOTE]

We got ot from sainsburys they did the fluid that we diluted and they also did a spray which we just sprayed on afterwards (stinks something terrible )

we are off to Geelong Victoria
karen x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.