Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:47 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sept 07 - March 08 applicants check in thread

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Good luck tomorrow!!

Put corks up the cat's bums!!! Don't look at my house selling experience because it would frighten you. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who gets a sale right away.

It took from the 11th when we lodged complaint to 16th Sep for grant. When did you lodge the complaint??

Yay 8 days!!!! YES YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!
Yes Miss

Originally Posted by jane BK
That means I'd need to drink 5 bottles of wine in one night - off to find the corkscrew now! Had the ack to complaint on 17th so I worked out that the 10 working days they quote takes me to 1 Oct (which would be beyond the 27th Sept - part of my point is that on paper - no pun intended - it looks like they've made no progress with 475 paper based in a year!). Feel the need for choc and I lost a lot of weight for the medicals - what a waste! Suppose I could eat a cat.......
Keep with the chocolate - the stress will keep the weight down!

Originally Posted by funshine
Yes - makes you wonder - especially as I have worked in banking most of my career! Hope the Oz banks are recruiting! Or some other industry needs my essential skills Told DH I'd rather have another baby to complete the family... watch this space...
Now that's an idea

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
Yes you are stop wobboling your making me very nervous
you'll be fine (says me with about 80 days to go
PMSL................. i'm making me nervous!

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi guys

Hope everyone is OK, sounds like lots of busy packing and panic going on!

Bank accounts - we found this very straightforward, just set up a savings and current account in the UK (we chose Westpac) once we were here we went in to the local branch, they were really helpful and changed our savings account to one with better interest and organised cards, cheque book etc.

All the other admin jobs were also very straightforward, eg driving licence, medicare etc.

Good luck

Sam
Nice to hear from you Sam - everything going ok?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Hi guys

Bank accounts - we found this very straightforward, just set up a savings and current account in the UK (we chose Westpac) once we were here we went in to the local branch, they were really helpful and changed our savings account to one with better interest and organised cards, cheque book etc.

All the other admin jobs were also very straightforward, eg driving licence, medicare etc.

Good luck

Sam
Hi! Ref. banks, was getting stressed, already, with the whole idea of transfers, paying aos etc; etc; (although we will not be in the 2008 visas). But, yesterday, we visited the HSBC, (this isn't an ad!) just so relieved, they opened an account for us, never used them before, they are transferring everything, no work for us, and we can us them in Oz, wether we visit, or are, hopefully, residents, so easy why all the worry, or does it, come naturally, with a visa application? Regards Lin
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967

Nice to hear from you Sam - everything going ok?

Hi Mary

We have been lucky, found a nice rental, hubby got 2 job offers within the first few weeks (crap pay but thats another story!) Children have settled well into their new school, especially the 10 year old boy, daughter (12) still misses her friends and dog alot.
Lovely area, lots to see, great beaches, numerous places to eat out, friendly people.

So, superficially we have settled very well, emotionally - not so easy, we are struggling at the moment with homesickness and lack of familiarity. We are keeping ourselves busy and trying to see as much as we can, have just had an amazing weekend away and have a long weekend booked to Sydney next month. We will see how things go in the next few months.

Good luck to you, not long now! How are your plans going?

Sam
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Hi guys

Good luck

Sam
Hi glad things are going well for you did you use a broker to transfer the funds? or just from your bank? also did you have to change your driving licence ? thanks in advance
karen x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Last day at work today. Then, have to get all my stuff to my mothers house.... 3 hours away. Have to hire a car as I sold mine 2 weeks ago. Still, veeeeeeeery close now.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:57 am
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

Now that we've got our visa - can i officially join this thread?

Havent handed in notice yet, but we're hoping to leave and get to Perth ~Nov...

just need to get over all the excitement and then tell work i'm out of here
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
Hi glad things are going well for you did you use a broker to transfer the funds? or just from your bank? also did you have to change your driving licence ? thanks in advance
karen x
Hi karen

I see you fly on 30th November, how exciting, when did you get your visa, I remember when we getting worked up because of the postal strike!

We used HiFx to transfer our currency but as I said, we did not move it a good time and in hindsight would have left it in the UK.

Driving licence was really easy, just had to go along to the Service Tas office (sure there is a similar set up in other states) with our UK licence, passport and proof of address, they took a photo, we paid some money and they issued the photocard there and then! I believe it is the same in the other states, but run a search on here if you are not sure.

My experience of the admin side of things has been very positive, generally very simple with little "red tape"

Good luck

Sam
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Good luck

Sam
Thanks Sam, I suppose we should just chose one randomly then - maybe the one with the most ATMs in Adelaide???

Originally Posted by Leostar
Hi Everyone - I am new to BE - I am living in Durban, South Africa and have applied for the 176 visa (19 Feb 2008) - have not heard a word from immigration and am starting to worry about whether I filled in things right - second guessing myself all the time - hugely stressed - its good to hear I am not alone! :e:
Hiya and welcome. We all feel / felt like this - the only cure is to come on here every day and talk to other people going equally nutty with the process.

Yes Miss:
I should think so!!!

Originally Posted by home alone
Hi! Ref. banks, was getting stressed, already, with the whole idea of transfers, paying aos etc; etc; (although we will not be in the 2008 visas). But, yesterday, we visited the HSBC, (this isn't an ad!) just so relieved, they opened an account for us, never used them before, they are transferring everything, no work for us, and we can us them in Oz, wether we visit, or are, hopefully, residents, so easy why all the worry, or does it, come naturally, with a visa application? Regards Lin ::
Thanks Lin - might consider them......

Hi Mary

We have been lucky, found a nice rental, hubby got 2 job offers within the first few weeks (crap pay but thats another story!) Children have settled well into their new school, especially the 10 year old boy, daughter (12) still misses her friends and dog alot.
Lovely area, lots to see, great beaches, numerous places to eat out, friendly people.

So, superficially we have settled very well, emotionally - not so easy, we are struggling at the moment with homesickness and lack of familiarity. We are keeping ourselves busy and trying to see as much as we can, have just had an amazing weekend away and have a long weekend booked to Sydney next month. We will see how things go in the next few months.

Sam
Hold on in there sam, I'm sure things will get better. Go and see Sydney - it's completely different to Tas and maybe what you're after.

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Last day at work today. Then, have to get all my stuff to my mothers house.... 3 hours away. Have to hire a car as I sold mine 2 weeks ago. Still, veeeeeeeery close now.
LAST DAY AT WORK!!!

I bet you'll have some fun at your leaving do!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by AshyB

More congrats Ash!! You got round all the threads very quickly!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

WOO HOO!!!! VISA!!!!!

Very Happy for you ASH!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:21 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fly Away
More congrats Ash!! You got round all the threads very quickly!!
and you weren't too far behind!

Originally Posted by tiger222
WOO HOO!!!! VISA!!!!!

Very Happy for you ASH!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thanks Tiger...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Hi karen

I see you fly on 30th November, how exciting, when did you get your visa, I remember when we getting worked up because of the postal strike!

We used HiFx to transfer our currency but as I said, we did not move it a good time and in hindsight would have left it in the UK.

Driving licence was really easy, just had to go along to the Service Tas office (sure there is a similar set up in other states) with our UK licence, passport and proof of address, they took a photo, we paid some money and they issued the photocard there and then! I believe it is the same in the other states, but run a search on here if you are not sure.

My experience of the admin side of things has been very positive, generally very simple with little "red tape"

Good luck

Sam
Blimey that seems soooo long ago (not) it's amazed me where all that time has gone we got our visa in july
sounds like your all sorted ? im really pleased for you,
and thanks for your advice ill look into it My sister is obviously driving around with her old d/l
im sure we will be homesick for a while i am just thinking about it lol
hope it passes soon
karen

Last edited by karensoutherden; Sep 23rd 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:38 pm

Hi Mary

Sam
Just try and keep busy - hopefully it'll take your mind off things in the UK - and keep posting on here, there's always someone here to offer support.

We're busy trying to sell stuff nobody wants and keeping our fingers crossed for exchange of contracts asap.

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Last Day Can't believe how quick that's gone, there's a point, why are you leaving before me???:curse:

FAN BLOODY TASTIC ASH!!!!!! Really made up for you both, just don't get there before me, ok?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:07 am
we're there!

FAN BLOODY TASTIC ASH!!!!!! Really made up for you both, just don't get there before me, ok?

now that my eyes have re-adjusted ...

Thanks Mary...no change of us leaving before you we're looking at mid/late november.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:36 pm

now that my eyes have re-adjusted ...

Thanks Mary...no change of us leaving before you we're looking at mid/late november.

PMSL.................... You'll miss me when i'm gone!!!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:35 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

PMSL.................... You'll miss me when i'm gone!!!
what do ya mean your not leaving us here after you get to OZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.