Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Self Employed / IT Contractor UK to Australia?

Wikiposts

Self Employed / IT Contractor UK to Australia?

Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Phil73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed / IT Contractor UK to Australia?

Hi all

I am self employed and work from home in IT/E-Commerce and most of the work I do is for a US company and has been ongoing for at least 2 years.

I wanted to know if it was possible to emmigrate to Australia as a self-employed IT contractor and effectively continue to work from home doing what I currently do?

I would of course look at paying tax in Australia therefore paying into the system over there, however I didn't know whether this was an option or the only way I could get in would be to be on the skilled shortage list, which effectively I am not.

Any advice on what my options are would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed / IT Contractor UK to Australia?

Hi Phil, I am an IT contractor and work for a UK based organisation from home. However, I have permanent residency which allowed me to emmigrate. If you don't meet the criteria for a PR visa I don't think there is an obvious route in. Have you used the DIAC website to assess your suitability?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil73
Hi all

I am self employed and work from home in IT/E-Commerce and most of the work I do is for a US company and has been ongoing for at least 2 years.

I wanted to know if it was possible to emmigrate to Australia as a self-employed IT contractor and effectively continue to work from home doing what I currently do?

I would of course look at paying tax in Australia therefore paying into the system over there, however I didn't know whether this was an option or the only way I could get in would be to be on the skilled shortage list, which effectively I am not.

Thanks
Phil
You need to start here - www.immi.gov.au and work out if you have sufficient skills etc to qualify for a visa.
If you do qualify for a skilled independent visa then you could do as you propose and only carry out offshore work rather than working onshore, however if you settle here permanently you will be liable for tax here on your worldwide income, whether you look to pay it or not!
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Pollyana - do you mean this list? - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

My work is not specifically listed on here. Does this rule me out staightaway? I've effectively worked for myself for the past 12 years therefore I don't specifically fit into one of these categories. I also don't want a specific job - the hope was just to do the same as I am doing here, but instead of paying tax in the UK, to pay Tax in Oz. I'm beginningto think that this isn't possible but hoping otherwise.

Thanks
Phil
Old Dec 27th 2012, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana - do you mean this list? - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

My work is not specifically listed on here. Does this rule me out staightaway? I've effectively worked for myself for the past 12 years therefore I don't specifically fit into one of these categories. I also don't want a specific job - the hope was just to do the same as I am doing here, but instead of paying tax in the UK, to pay Tax in Oz. I'm beginningto think that this isn't possible but hoping otherwise.

Thanks
Phil
Once you have a permanent visa, you can do what you want when you get to Australia, so that isn't the issue. The issue is getting the visa and unfortuantely if you are not in an occupation on the list, then no you are not going to qualify for a visa under the skilled migration option.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks
Phil
Phil

Try having a look under the business migration visa's
Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Phil
Not sure what you mean about working for yourself - it is irrelevant; it is about the type of work you do rather than who you work for or how. So what type of work do you do? And it's not about you getting a specific job; they want the right skilled people available in the workforce; after receiving PR it's up to you what work/job you do.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi and Happy New Year.

Appreciate the reply. I understand now. I've worked in internet mail-order for 12 years. I've built stores using web-based ecommerce platforms, have experience in SEO, PPC and many other skills related to this that go towards running a e-Commerce business. I don't however have any paper qualifications therefore I don't know how I would be assessed or if I fit into a relevant category.

Thanks
Phil
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Happy New Year.

Appreciate the reply. I understand now. I've worked in internet mail-order for 12 years. I've built stores using web-based ecommerce platforms, have experience in SEO, PPC and many other skills related to this that go towards running a e-Commerce business. I don't however have any paper qualifications therefore I don't know how I would be assessed or if I fit into a relevant category.

Thanks
Phil
In some occupations, experience can replace qualification. The skills assessing body will determine whether your experience is enough or not, that is their job. But you do first of all need to identify a specific occupation from the list and you have mentioned that there is nothing on there?