Securing work in NZ on Visitor Visa

Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Securing work in NZ on Visitor Visa

Hi

If any one there has read my recent postings you'll gather that I am trying to get into NZ by hook or by crook !

I will considere almost anything ! Having only 2 and a half yrs work exp in IT, and a degree in History, I'm only getting 21 points with my age (27) .

Therefore agencies such as Malcolm Pacific are suggesting I'm not worth taking on. not very encoaraging !

Plan B was to emmigrate to Aus , gain PR and then enter NZ, big thanks to PTLABS for his info there. It seems with my qualifications and IT exp, I'd be needing to work for another 3 - 6 years to get enough exp for an Aus Skills assesment ! Not really a first choice !

So I am left with the somewhat scary ... plan C.

This would entail a mission rather similar to that described by BritboyNZ today :
There is a requirement that whilst you are in NZ, you hold a valid permit at all times. So yes, when you arrive as a visitor you will be given a visitors permit valid for 6 months on arrival. Once you've found a job and have gathered all of the necessary paperwork for a PR application (which can take weeks if not months) you've then got to wait for NZIS to process and decide your application, all of which could very easily push you over the 6 or even 9 month mark (you can extend a tourist visa to 9 months quite easily). Even though you have submitted a PR application, you are still required to hold a valid permit whilst a decision is made.

My advice would be to apply for a work permit once you've found a job - you're allowed to stay in NZ for a maximum of 3 years under the work permit system. This then gives you time to put your PR appln together & wait for NZIS to make a decision. "

This means that I have to give up work, sell the house and take the plunge. I'm up for it actually, kinda forcing me to succeed if you will!

I have a close network of cousins and Aunties in NZ who will help me out for accomodation and work contacts.. what i really want is to hear from anyone who has acheived NZ PR in this way ..

BritboyNZ ...did you ??
Old Jan 30th 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, if you are brave enough then give it a try but unless you have some personal contacts in companies you probably wont get the IT agencies to look at you without a work visa/JSV. My partner has been in the South island for almost 3 months now on a JSV and if there is a Kiwi going for the same job, then they give it to them regardless.

Depending on what your field of IT is, Auckland has the most opportunities, South Island (Chch etc) much less.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lizzie
Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:32 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Securing work in NZ on Visitor Visa

Originally posted by Thatch
Hi

If any one there has read my recent postings you'll gather that I am trying to get into NZ by hook or by crook !

I will considere almost anything ! Having only 2 and a half yrs work exp in IT, and a degree in History, I'm only getting 21 points with my age (27) .

Therefore agencies such as Malcolm Pacific are suggesting I'm not worth taking on. not very encoaraging !

Plan B was to emmigrate to Aus , gain PR and then enter NZ, big thanks to PTLABS for his info there. It seems with my qualifications and IT exp, I'd be needing to work for another 3 - 6 years to get enough exp for an Aus Skills assesment ! Not really a first choice !

So I am left with the somewhat scary ... plan C.

This would entail a mission rather similar to that described by BritboyNZ today :
There is a requirement that whilst you are in NZ, you hold a valid permit at all times. So yes, when you arrive as a visitor you will be given a visitors permit valid for 6 months on arrival. Once you've found a job and have gathered all of the necessary paperwork for a PR application (which can take weeks if not months) you've then got to wait for NZIS to process and decide your application, all of which could very easily push you over the 6 or even 9 month mark (you can extend a tourist visa to 9 months quite easily). Even though you have submitted a PR application, you are still required to hold a valid permit whilst a decision is made.

My advice would be to apply for a work permit once you've found a job - you're allowed to stay in NZ for a maximum of 3 years under the work permit system. This then gives you time to put your PR appln together & wait for NZIS to make a decision. "

This means that I have to give up work, sell the house and take the plunge. I'm up for it actually, kinda forcing me to succeed if you will!

I have a close network of cousins and Aunties in NZ who will help me out for accomodation and work contacts.. what i really want is to hear from anyone who has acheived NZ PR in this way ..

BritboyNZ ...did you ??
Just a small word of caution before you begin your mission.

I don't think the NZIS hand out work visa's like lollies, contrary to popular belief (at least on this forum).

An employer has to provide proof that they have been advertising and could not fill a position for some time (not sure how long, could be 3 months) and also that the applicant meets experience and related educational requirements etc.

I initially came out on a work visa, got before I left UK, and there was definately a process involved.

Otherwise, what would be to stop anyone rocking up on a visitor visa, getting a job and staying for 3 years?

John.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

In reply to Thatch - I didn't come over as a tourist but on a working holiday visa. I came over to NZ for a holiday for 3 or 4 months, fell in love with the place & ended up staying. I was lucky - at the time (Oct 2000) there was a big shortage of IT staff in NZ and you could pick and choose where you wanted to work. To cut a long story short, I worked for a small IT firm for a few months on a working holiday visa, then changed jobs to work for PwC. They insisted I get a work permit, which was a fairly easy process. A few months later I had to get a work visa (so I could leave & return to NZ) finally in August 01 I submitted my PR application & received approval in principal in late September 01. It may sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but I've been through the application process of pretty much every type of visa/permit NZIS issues (apart from a study & visitors visa!) so have a good idea of how the system works.

Yes things have changed unbelievably since then - but it is Still possible to do it. People on this forum have managed to obtain jobs & work visas even whilst being outside NZ. In my experience the hardest part is actually finding a job in the first place, not the permit/visa application. Lizzie's comment is very true - if an employer has a vacancy & there are 2 people on the shortlist one a kiwi or someone who has PR and the other who just needs a job to complete a work permit application, in most cases the job is given to the kiwi simply because it's easier for the employer - no paperwork to do. Just keep looking & don't rely solely on IT recruitment agencies, it's hard work but phoning up employers and speaking directly to the IT manager does sometimes work - the vast majority of jobs aren't even advertised and are filled through word of mouth/internally/previous applicants CV's still on file and so on.

Thatch, If I were you I'd get a working holiday visa - you say you're 27 in which case you're still eligible for one. This gives you a whole year in NZ & crucially you are allowed to do contract work on it. You then have more time to look for a job & submit your PR application.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

mwheadon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thatch,

I am in a similar situation as yourself. I lack the experience necessary to be able to apply for immigration.

I work in the IT sector, which is very depressing at the moment. If I waited to gain the neccessary experience, there is a high chance that the goal posts would have changed and I wouldnt be able to migrate.

Cross training would be a good ideal but may lead to the same problem as described above.

There maybe a few avenues i can take when going to Auz but if they dont work out and I dont gain an extension on my Visa at least I will have the pleasure of a Year in Auz and to be proud that I have tried.

It seems that I might be doing it alone but I have taken the view now, that time waits for noone and tomorrow is too late !.

I have penciled myself to going roughly in october hopefully the IT Sector will have improved.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Thatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW
Just a small word of caution before you begin your mission.

I don't think the NZIS hand out work visa's like lollies, contrary to popular belief (at least on this forum).

An employer has to provide proof that they have been advertising and could not fill a position for some time (not sure how long, could be 3 months) and also that the applicant meets experience and related educational requirements etc.

I initially came out on a work visa, got before I left UK, and there was definately a process involved.

Otherwise, what would be to stop anyone rocking up on a visitor visa, getting a job and staying for 3 years?

John.
Cheers for the help JWW, can you tell me the circumstances in which you applied for your work visa. ? did you get the visa before getting a job in order to be considered by employers?
Or did you get a job offer and apply for a visa as a result of being offered a job ..?

Basically which came first the job offer or the work visa ? can I apply for a work visa here in the UK before leaving to go and find a job in NZ ?

Cheers mate

Thatch
Old Feb 1st 2003, 1:54 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Thatch
Cheers for the help JWW, can you tell me the circumstances in which you applied for your work visa. ? did you get the visa before getting a job in order to be considered by employers?
Or did you get a job offer and apply for a visa as a result of being offered a job ..?

Basically which came first the job offer or the work visa ? can I apply for a work visa here in the UK before leaving to go and find a job in NZ ?

Cheers mate

Thatch
I searched for IT programming jobs on the internet from the UK and spotted one in the NZ Herald, an Auckland Newspaper, sent of my CV with a covering email and about a day later got a phone call at about midnight and did a telephone interview.

I then got offered the job (a 3 month contract), as long as I could start in six weeks. I then applied for a work visa the next day (london) and set about the process of getting me, my wife, two kids, a dog, cat and landrover over here. The visa came through in 4 weeks after getting the NZ company to ring up immigration in london. To cut a long story short we were in Mirangi Bay motel, Auckland, about 5 weeks after sending the CV.

The initial work visa was only for 4 months (bloody risky when I look back). We didn't like Auckland so when the contract ended I had a permy job tee'd up in Christchurch so I got a two year working visa, then we all applied for PR, and got it after 8 months. Sorted. Now 3.5 years later we are all NZ citizens, still in Christchurch and happy as Larry.

I don't know if I was lucky or not to get the job before leaving, as I got the first one I applied for, but I can't be the only one.

However, I think what Britboy has said could be the way to go for you. Get the working holiday visa, come out get a job and then apply for a working visa, get your points up and apply for PR. If not start sending emails!!!

Good luck....it is definately worth the agro once you're out here. Top place.

Cheers.

John.
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

fiona i is on a distinguished road

Hi John - we are currently waiting for word from employer in nz as to whether my husband has a job or not. then we intend to apply for a work visa to get out there. i see you took your wife and kids with you - did you put them on your visa or did they go just on the visitors visa ? How easy was it to get the kids into school ? Do you need an Inland revenue number before you go? I ask this because my husband plans to go for it asap.appreciate any help/guidance cheers fiona i(scotland)

Originally posted by JWW
I searched for IT programming jobs on the internet from the UK and spotted one in the NZ Herald, an Auckland Newspaper, sent of my CV with a covering email and about a day later got a phone call at about midnight and did a telephone interview.

I then got offered the job (a 3 month contract), as long as I could start in six weeks. I then applied for a work visa the next day (london) and set about the process of getting me, my wife, two kids, a dog, cat and landrover over here. The visa came through in 4 weeks after getting the NZ company to ring up immigration in london. To cut a long story short we were in Mirangi Bay motel, Auckland, about 5 weeks after sending the CV.

The initial work visa was only for 4 months (bloody risky when I look back). We didn't like Auckland so when the contract ended I had a permy job tee'd up in Christchurch so I got a two year working visa, then we all applied for PR, and got it after 8 months. Sorted. Now 3.5 years later we are all NZ citizens, still in Christchurch and happy as Larry.

I don't know if I was lucky or not to get the job before leaving, as I got the first one I applied for, but I can't be the only one.

However, I think what Britboy has said could be the way to go for you. Get the working holiday visa, come out get a job and then apply for a working visa, get your points up and apply for PR. If not start sending emails!!!

Cheers.

John. [/QUOTE]
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 5:46 pm
jmy
Just Joined

jmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW

Cheers.

John.

Hi John,

How was it like to live in Mirangi Bay ? Just wondering where is it located ? I know it's close to Aukland. Is it a nice area , how would you qualify it ? Anyone else who wants to comment, plz feel free to do so. I am looking for some feedback on this area. Thanks all.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 5:50 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally posted by fiona i
Hi John - we are currently waiting for word from employer in nz as to whether my husband has a job or not. then we intend to apply for a work visa to get out there. i see you took your wife and kids with you - did you put them on your visa or did they go just on the visitors visa ? How easy was it to get the kids into school ? Do you need an Inland revenue number before you go? I ask this because my husband plans to go for it asap.appreciate any help/guidance cheers fiona i(scotland)
Hi Fiona,

Yes, wife and kids went on holiday visas until we applied for PR as a family.

When you're husband starts work he'll get a form to fill out for an IRD number, which is the Inland Revenue equivalent.

Our two went to Kindy straight away with no problems, school should be the same. I think there is something about needing to have PR to get free schooling but I don't think they check. Just say you've got it if asked.

Muppetking is a teacher, he might know whether a parent on a working visa qualifys the kids to free schooling.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Fiona, you'll need to apply for an IRD number (NZ's equivalent to the UK National Insurance number). Your husband can work without one, however will be taxed at a higher rate (45%!!!) until you've got the number and have completed and signed the tax code declaration which your husbands employer will provide when he starts work. IRD are pretty quick & you'll get your IRD no back in about a week so if you apply for the number straight away & give it to your employer as soon as you receive it (hopefully before the payroll is processed!) you shouldn't have to pay the top rate.

You can download an application form for an IRD number from the IRD website & there's a very useful PAYE tax calculator so you can work out exactly how much tax you'll be paying. This doesn't include the ACC levy (accident compensation corporation) which is a government organisation that provides (limited!) accident insurance for everyone in NZ (even visitors/tourists).

All the best, Russ.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/individuals/r...ligations.html

www.acc.govt.nz/
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:16 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jmy
Hi John,

How was it like to live in Mirangi Bay ? Just wondering where is it located ? I know it's close to Aukland. Is it a nice area , how would you qualify it ? Anyone else who wants to comment, plz feel free to do so. I am looking for some feedback on this area. Thanks all.
I quite liked Mirangi Bay actually. It sort of has two parts. There's a really nice little high street about a block from the beach. All the homes between the beach and shops are dead expensive. The other side of the shops is still nice and a bit cheaper. It then leads out onto a main highway which is quite built up with warehouses etc. We only spent a couple of weeks there and ended up in Titarangi, out west, because all the rentals were taken up due to the Americas cup.

If you are looking North Shore, my personal favourites were Long Bay/Browns Bay and Orewa/Red Beach.

Cheers.