Are secondary teachers in demand?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Gunner71 will become famous soon enoughGunner71 will become famous soon enough
Question Are secondary teachers in demand?

Hi guys,

I'm a maths teacher in a secondary school in the uk with 8 yrs experience and am wondering if there are any teachers out there who can help me take the first steps to moving to Australia.

We have some relatives near Perth and think we would like WA.

Some of my questions are:

Would I be able to get a job whilst still in the UK?

If so how would I start?

Is maths a shortage subject and would that help my applcation for a visa?

I currently teach up to GCSE level - would I need some A level experience to stand a better chance of getting a job?

I have good GCSE results, have a First class honours degree in Math and Computing and would get a good reference (if any of these help). I'll be travelling with my wife and two nippers - 2 and 4.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:34 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Are secondary teachers in demand?

Secondary teachers are definitely on the skills shortage list and Maths is always a shortage area. First thing to do is to get you qualifications assessed. You will need to provide a lot of information about the actual degree you took (including a transcript). Worth speaking to a migration consultant and checking their fees as they do a lot of the leg work for you so you just fill in forms. As for getting a job before you arrive, that's probably a no. You need to have your skills assessed for your visa but once here, each state has its own education authority who will require skill assessment again (seems like duplication but that's the way it's done). In NSW I had to attend a two week orientation program for overseas trained teachers too in which I spent 2 weeks in a school (unpaid), observing the first week and then teaching and being observed in the second week. After that I had to attend an interview - all before I got my approval to teach. Here 5 years now and I wouldn't go back to the UK if you paid me )))) Good luck!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:38 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

check out http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Gunner71 will become famous soon enoughGunner71 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caronandrod
Secondary teachers are definitely on the skills shortage list and Maths is always a shortage area. First thing to do is to get you qualifications assessed. You will need to provide a lot of information about the actual degree you took (including a transcript). Worth speaking to a migration consultant and checking their fees as they do a lot of the leg work for you so you just fill in forms. As for getting a job before you arrive, that's probably a no. You need to have your skills assessed for your visa but once here, each state has its own education authority who will require skill assessment again (seems like duplication but that's the way it's done). In NSW I had to attend a two week orientation program for overseas trained teachers too in which I spent 2 weeks in a school (unpaid), observing the first week and then teaching and being observed in the second week. After that I had to attend an interview - all before I got my approval to teach. Here 5 years now and I wouldn't go back to the UK if you paid me )))) Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to post! I'll look this up when I get back from work through the snow and ice.......

What advice would you give about the time of year to get to Oz to maximise the chances of getting a job quickly?

And how much savings would you think that you would need behind you to survive without working with what seems like a high cost of living?

And whats better about teaching in Oz?

Thanks again