Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Scaremongering for 8 yrs PR /Citizenship with convictions

Scaremongering for 8 yrs PR /Citizenship with convictions

Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:42 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scaremongering for 8 yrs PR /Citizenship with convictions

Help!!!
Husband has 25+ year old convictions in UK immigration fully aware
Also holiday visa without declaring but did apology letter with application.
Anyway husband has PR and we've been reading that others are being refused citizenship after 8+ years and asked to leave Australia as immigration
decided that, even after allowing them in the decision to not allow citizenship is being made and told to leave!!!
Please help, I'm so worried!! Myself and daughter have citizenship only hubby to go!!been here 5 years
J x

Last edited by Jaycee1; Sep 18th 2014 at 7:09 am.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scaremongering for 8 yrs PR /Citizenship with convictions

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Help!!!
Anyway husband has PR and we've been reading that others are being refused citizenship after 8+ years and asked to leave Australia as immigration
decided that, even after allowing them in the decision to not allow citizenship is being made and told to leave!!!
Please help, I'm so worried!! Myself and daughter have citizenship only hubby to go!!
J x
Reading where? And if its open source media, remember you are not reading the facts.
There are a lot of stories that are published in open media and those will not have all the facts as the media want to sell news. Good news is not news.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet, BUT I've been on these forums a long long time and I've seen people go through to get citizenship with serious convictions. What I haven't seen is someone from the UK with Aus family and a very old history be refused.
I know its easy for me to say, but chill...... he will be fine. The odds are stacked so high in his favour that I'll buy him a drink now in advance
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Help!!!
Please help, I'm so worried!! Myself and daughter have citizenship only hubby to go!!been here 5 years
J x
If his past record was a problem, it would have been a problem at the PR stage. After all he is living here permanently anyway, so there could be no logical reason to deny citizenship at this point. Agree with Polly, there is nothing to worry about and I have never heard this before either.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:25 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

He'll hold you to that drink Polly!!
Thanks for all the replies, it was another forum and seemed like a true story. Maybe it wasn't ??
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:47 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to contribute to the scaremongering as such, but I'll just say that recently the Department seems to have raised the character standards in a couple of apparently isolated cases. Whether this crystallises into a new standard for all visa and citizenship processing is not clear, but fwiw I think that people who have access to a review option should remain confident.

Any Kremlinologists or China Watchers left over from the Cold War might be able to do a lucrative trade watching what the Department does and interpreting its next move, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlinology for details of the appropriate techniques.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 4:05 am
Former Resident Visa

Thanks everyone for your advice
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I don't want to contribute to the scaremongering as such, but I'll just say that recently the Department seems to have raised the character standards in a couple of apparently isolated cases. Whether this crystallises into a new standard for all visa and citizenship processing is not clear, but fwiw I think that people who have access to a review option should remain confident.

Any Kremlinologists or China Watchers left over from the Cold War might be able to do a lucrative trade watching what the Department does and interpreting its next move, see Kremlinology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details of the appropriate techniques.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George. Good to have a professional view on it as we obviously only see a small representation of the total applications on here.
I guess the fact they are allowing appeals could possibly ( i'm just speculating) mean that they just want to make people more aware that the character background is being looked into. At the same time though its a bit worrying if they are making changes like this on the sly.
Opens a huge can of worms if they are allowing people PR but the refusing them citizenship when nothing has changed as regards their criminal history - wonder if the long term aim is to tighten the visa rules themselves, more in line with canada or even the USA (heaven forbid!)
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks George. Good to have a professional view on it as we obviously only see a small representation of the total applications on here.
I guess the fact they are allowing appeals could possibly ( i'm just speculating) mean that they just want to make people more aware that the character background is being looked into. At the same time though its a bit worrying if they are making changes like this on the sly.
Opens a huge can of worms if they are allowing people PR but the refusing them citizenship when nothing has changed as regards their criminal history - wonder if the long term aim is to tighten the visa rules themselves, more in line with canada or even the USA (heaven forbid!)
As an Aussie, I'd be bloody furious if someone with PR was denied citizenship for 25 year old convictions! I'll follow this with interest.