Wikiposts

Same sex couple with 175 visa..help!!!

Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

claireoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same sex couple with 175 visa..help!!!

Hey there...
this is my first time on here so hello
Quick summary of my position...I had a 175 visa granted in July 2010, I'm in a civil partnership and my partner, Michelle, is included on my visa.
I'm 33 and have always wanted to start a family..we've looked into options here in the UK and its very doable at a clinic so we were going to try for me to get pregnant.
Before we did I thought I'd look into our options regarding the visa etc
It seems if we have a baby over here we'd have to apply for a separate visa for the baby after they were born which can be time consuming and expensive..is this right?
Alternatively we could get pregnant here and go to Oz and I could have the baby there? Am I right in thinking the baby is then an Aussie citizen? That would be fine...but over here if we go through a clinic both our names go on the birth certificate..would that be the case in Oz? And if not are there any alternative to give my partner legal rights?
Option 3 is to wait and go to a clinic in Oz when we get there to look into getting pregnant...however I understand that the laws are not the same in all states..we were looking at Adelaide as our starting point? Would we as a same sex couple get access to fertility services in SA? I understand we'd have to pay, thats only the same as here.
Apologies for this being a long one..We're hoping to move to Oz ASAP but selling our house is keeping us back and now we feel all confused over all this.
Please help!!!!
Thanks, Claire
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:59 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same sex couple with 175 visa..help!!!

visa-wise you pretty much nailed it. As far as the rest of your questions, someone may be able to help I am sure, but I have not seen this subject discussed here much if at all. Good luck to you anyway.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As NJ mentioned, you are correct on visa points.

For the rest, I would recommend asking a mod to move the question to the main Australia forum where you are more likely to get answers. Many people stop reading in the immigration forum once they move to Australia.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claireoc
Hey there...
this is my first time on here so hello
Quick summary of my position...I had a 175 visa granted in July 2010, I'm in a civil partnership and my partner, Michelle, is included on my visa.
I'm 33 and have always wanted to start a family..we've looked into options here in the UK and its very doable at a clinic so we were going to try for me to get pregnant.
Before we did I thought I'd look into our options regarding the visa etc
It seems if we have a baby over here we'd have to apply for a separate visa for the baby after they were born which can be time consuming and expensive..is this right?
Alternatively we could get pregnant here and go to Oz and I could have the baby there? Am I right in thinking the baby is then an Aussie citizen? That would be fine...but over here if we go through a clinic both our names go on the birth certificate..would that be the case in Oz? And if not are there any alternative to give my partner legal rights?
Option 3 is to wait and go to a clinic in Oz when we get there to look into getting pregnant...however I understand that the laws are not the same in all states..we were looking at Adelaide as our starting point? Would we as a same sex couple get access to fertility services in SA? I understand we'd have to pay, thats only the same as here.
Apologies for this being a long one..We're hoping to move to Oz ASAP but selling our house is keeping us back and now we feel all confused over all this.
Please help!!!!
Thanks, Claire
Bermuda and NJ have answered the visa question, but as for the baby, you could get fertility treatment in WA. Not sure about the birth certificate, but you could google the vital statistics offices of the states you're interested in and see what they say about same-sex parenting.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

There is positively a same sex baby boom going on in Sydney. I now move in the baby/kid circles and there are so many same sex parents, nobody bats an eye. Sorry, dont know about the birth cert and getting both names on. Can one of you adopt the child after birth and get added to birth cert that way? Just thinking out loud here. Perhaps email the Birth, Death and Marriages office and ask them how things work. I would also vote for getting pregnant in the UK and having the baby in Aus. So many resources here, not to mention the social side that you will slot in immediately.