Safety of Expats in Dubai, UAE

Old Sep 15th 2001, 1:00 am
Sca

I am seriously considering a move to Dubai to start a new job there.

Whilst I understand that the UAE is a modern country which has adopted many western
influences, I am not entirely sure where the UAE stands politically in light of the
recent tragic terrorist activity.

As an expatriate, I would like to understand the risks for "westerners" in Dubai
during this period of potential political and millitary tension in the Gulf region.
What was the experience of expats in Dubai and surrounding areas during the Gulf War?

Regards,

SCA

Old Sep 15th 2001, 10:19 pm
Sharon

You're probably safer there than in the U.S. I was in Oman (south of the UAE) during
the Gulf War (lived worked and lived there for 11 years). All the 'draconian' airport
security measures just put in there have been in place in the ME for at least 15
years, plus body searches before getting on planes.

Depending on the 'coalition' they put together, you may or may not have American
planes flying out of Dubai. More likely to be based in Saudi or Oman. That will
determine if Dubai becomes a target for retaliation or not. Even if it does, I
wouldn't worry.

I was an ex-pat in the ME off and on between 1963 and 1993 and I loved every minute.
The worst problems you will have will be with the company you work for. Make sure you
are given a return ticket by the company before you enter the country, so you can
leave if you don't like it.

You might be interested in another forum for ex-pats, based in Britain I think:
http://www.expatforum.com/.

Sharon

Old Sep 16th 2001, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

mbedwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm living in Dubai and I can only talk for the European/US/Oz expats as that is the circle of friends I have.

During the gulf war many families and most women and children did leave the gulf. The reason was that most people who live here do so because of the lifestyle. During a war that lifestyle is curtailed significantly with many bars/restaraunts closed down. This is because most basic items are imported by ship/air from Europe/US and these were reduced in numbers. Then there is the constant risk that it only takes one person to cause massive damage with a suicide bomb or a scud, as was the threat from Iraq at the time.

However you do get the die hard's who would live in a war zone no matter what...the Kate Adie's of this world.

The current opinion is that if the attack is only in Afghanistan then OK not many will leave. However if, god help us, the US attack Palestine or Pakistan then there will be mass exodus.

Afghanistan's threat of a holy war has no founding as even places like Iran have come out and publicly condemmed the action so they have no supporters in the world.

Thankfully TODAY I GOT APPROVAL OF MY PR VISA!!!! so i'm out of here.

My advice - give it a few weeks to see what happens before moving. No company here would blame you for that as they also are in danger of having many expats leave.

Good luck...If it all settles down I can whole heartedly recomend living in the ME as an expat.
Old Sep 16th 2001, 8:21 am
George O'Neill

[email protected] (SCA)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I live in Abu Dhabi, 1 hour drive from Dubai. I feel perfectly safe here. I would
encourage anyone to come and visit or stay here.

I have been here for a year. UAE people are not the wild-eyed fanatics who you see
from Iraq. They are calm, collected business people. The UAE was the safest place to
be during the Gulf War. People here would not risk a very comfortable life to protect
a group of fanatics.

George

Old Sep 16th 2001, 11:53 pm
Rufio

How's the work? I'm an expat Brit in Arizona & I ain't working at the moment. Veteran
MVS Cobol senior/lead P/A.

>
    >
cars
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > You're probably safer there than in the U.S. I was in Oman (south of[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > UAE) during the Gulf War (lived worked and lived there for 11 years).[/usenetquote2]
All
[usenetquote2]> > the 'draconian' airport security measures just put in there have been in place in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the ME for at least 15 years, plus body searches before getting[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > planes.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Depending on the 'coalition' they put together, you may or may not have American[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > planes flying out of Dubai. More likely to be based in Saudi[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> > Oman. That will determine if Dubai becomes a target for retaliation or[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Even if it does, I wouldn't worry.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I was an ex-pat in the ME off and on between 1963 and 1993 and I loved[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > minute. The worst problems you will have will be with the company you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for. Make sure you are given a return ticket by the company before you enter the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > country, so you can leave if you don't like it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You might be interested in another forum for ex-pats, based in Britain I think:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.expatforum.com/.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sharon[/usenetquote2]
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I am seriously considering a move to Dubai to start a new job there.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Whilst I understand that the UAE is a modern country which has adopted many[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > western influences, I am not entirely sure where the UAE stands politically in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > light of the recent tragic terrorist activity.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As an expatriate, I would like to understand the risks for "westerners" in Dubai[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > during this period of potential political and millitary tension in the Gulf[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > region. What was the experience of expats in Dubai and surrounding areas during[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the Gulf War?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > SCA[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 21st 2002, 3:33 pm
leighbutler

Default Living In Dubai

Have a look at this site for info on living in Dubai

http://dbw.hct.ac.ae/staff/index.htm