British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   RSMS Visa - Subclass 187 submitted! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/rsms-visa-subclass-187-submitted-800271/)

stevewales25 Jun 16th 2013 1:24 pm

RSMS Visa - Subclass 187 submitted!

Hi all. Here is my story.

At 21 myself and 3 friends came over on a WHV for a year and absolutely loved it, the year after that I went to New Zealand on a WHV and didn't see the attraction as much as Australia (Particularly Perth) so ended up only staying there for five months and went back to North Wales.

A few years went back struggling on earning a poor bricklayers wage with uncertainty about work etc, after a while I met a girl when I was working away, about five months into our relationship I brought up the idea of going to Australia and she was up for it, fast forward 1 year and we're living in Craigie, Northern Suburbs of Perth, myself on my 2nd WHV and my OH on her first. Our main focus when we got here was how can we stay for longer or even forever, we thought the best way/ easiest would be for my employer to sponsor me as a bricklayer which he was happy to do for us and my OH to go de-facto on me. However after a meeting with a immigration agent it came about that going on my girlfriend being a hairdresser would be the better option as bricklaying has come on the wanted trades list for state sponsorship in WA and the work has slowed down a touch in Perth.
My OH boss was more than happy to do anything possible to keep her employed and couldn't do enough to get as far as we have, after months of struggling to get evidence for the skilled assessment and then the visa documents, police checks, medicals and all the rest it was finally handed in and submitted last week! The relief was immense!

Now to hoping in 12-18 weeks time we shall have it approved?

This is just for people out there who are in a similar position to ourselves, I'm a 26 year old bricklayer and my OH is a 22 year old hairdresser, so either jobs are anything out of the ordinary, when I first looked into PR it seemed you had to be a doctor, or have spent years and years in uni with your head in books but it just isn't like that. Being a hard worker and a trade behind you is the biggest of helps.

When looking at some of the posts on this forum it seems like a mammoth task to get an Australian visa, but it just in not the case, I work on building sites around Perth, and the amount of illegal workers is shocking, but what shocks me more is when they apply for PR and within a couple of months they have it come through with no hassle at all, so people who read this forum and are put off the idea of trying to attain a visa for Australia it really isn't that hard actually. As long as they have your money there happy!

Obviously the don't let everyone in willy nilly and I wont be surprised if I get some sob stories replying to this post how they couldn't apply as they didn't have enough points etc but there are ways round everything and if you really wanted it enough you would have found a way. And who knows our visa may get knocked back for some reason but even if it does there will be another way round it.

This post was not to wind anybody up or anything like that, it was just a simle message to give anybody who has a bit of drive and go In them that it is possible to get to Australia and live!

Dorothy Jun 16th 2013 11:54 pm

Re: RSMS Visa - Subclass 187 submitted!

Originally Posted by stevewales25 (Post 10759477)
This post was not to wind anybody up or anything like that, it was just a simle message to give anybody who has a bit of drive and go In them that it is possible to get to Australia and live!

Has your visa been granted then?

Bermudashorts Jun 17th 2013 10:03 am

I am glad you have found a route in. But really, just because you did, does not mean that there is a way for everyone.

pumpkin blossom Jun 17th 2013 10:35 am

There are not ways around everything. You were lucky that your jobs happen to be on the csol.
Currently immigration are advertising a six month wait for the rsms. Some people are lucky and get their visas much quicker, but there are many people who have been waiting over a year already. Mine took five months (to the day).
Just prepare yourself that it could be much longer. Chefs and hairdressers seem to be a couple which are being scrutinised more at the moment.
Also remember, until that visa is in your hand, you still don't have pr. There are FAR too many people who end up loosing their job (generally from them going bust) before their visa is issued, and the odd one who does get refused for other reasons.
Hopefully you will be fine, but don't relax too much just yet.

Pollyana Jun 17th 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by stevewales25 (Post 10759477)

When looking at some of the posts on this forum it seems like a mammoth task to get an Australian visa, but it just in not the case, I work on building sites around Perth, and the amount of illegal workers is shocking, but what shocks me more is when they apply for PR and within a couple of months they have it come through with no hassle at all, so people who read this forum and are put off the idea of trying to attain a visa for Australia it really isn't that hard actually. As long as they have your money there happy!

Obviously the don't let everyone in willy nilly and I wont be surprised if I get some sob stories replying to this post how they couldn't apply as they didn't have enough points etc but there are ways round everything and if you really wanted it enough you would have found a way. And who knows our visa may get knocked back for some reason but even if it does there will be another way round it.

Many people don't qualify for a visa, and never will, there aren't always ways round it, but well done to you for finding a way that works.
I do doubt however the statement about people working illegally then being granted PR. How do you know they are working illegally for one thing? Applying for PR requires a lot of checks by DIAC and if they discover people working illegally they will not grant them PR, they will deport them.
If there are a lot of illegal workers around you, do the legal migrants a favour and report them to DIAC.

spouse of scouse Jun 17th 2013 1:52 pm

I wont be surprised if I get some sob stories replying to this post how they couldn't apply as they didn't have enough points etc but there are ways round everything and if you really wanted it enough you would have found a way

What a horrible, ignorant thing to say - these are real people and families you're talking about, who DID try every legal way, and there wasn't one.

And yeah, all you have to do is hand over a wad of cash to Immigration and they'll wave you through.

Yawn. Next!

spouse of scouse Jun 17th 2013 1:57 pm

Ok, I just noticed your age (21) so I was probably a bit harsh - although hopefully you'll think a bit about what I said. It's fine to encourage people to strive for what they want, but try not to put other people down in the process.

pumpkin blossom Jun 17th 2013 9:04 pm

No, he is 26, that was his age when he first came over. Old enough to have some manners.

spouse of scouse Jun 17th 2013 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom (Post 10761670)
No, he is 26, that was his age when he first came over. Old enough to have some manners.

Time to go to Specsavers :o

stevewales25 Jun 18th 2013 11:55 am

Ok, firstly. Apologies.....I'm sure we aren't all as lucky to be in the boat I found myself in with 2 of us able to apply. Wasn't meant to sound rude.

I can assure you who have doubts about Illegal workers, I have been here since July last year and have known 7 people, all from the same country that has lived here illegally for at least 1 year, some upto 5 years that have applied for PR and succeeded without question, it has cost a bit more, money wise but it has got them the visa. I'd go as far as saying nearly every half decent sized building site in Perth you will find illegals, and the people running the sites and buildings firms know it but just aren't bothered.... and I see your point in it being unfair to the people who are legal etc but I'm sorry but im not going to 'dob' them in. Many people would but im sorry its just not me, if the government etc actually cared about illigals working then it wouldn't be hard for them to actually catch them.

old.sparkles Jun 18th 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by stevewales25 (Post 10762672)
Ok, firstly. Apologies.....I'm sure we aren't all as lucky to be in the boat I found myself in with 2 of us able to apply. Wasn't meant to sound rude.

I can assure you who have doubts about Illegal workers, I have been here since July last year and have known 7 people, all from the same country that has lived here illegally for at least 1 year, some upto 5 years that have applied for PR and succeeded without question, it has cost a bit more, money wise but it has got them the visa. I'd go as far as saying nearly every half decent sized building site in Perth you will find illegals, and the people running the sites and buildings firms know it but just aren't bothered.... and I see your point in it being unfair to the people who are legal etc but I'm sorry but im not going to 'dob' them in. Many people would but im sorry its just not me, if the government etc actually cared about illigals working then it wouldn't be hard for them to actually catch them.

Hi Steve,

I would suggest that if you really are aware of illegal workers that you do report them (http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/87illegal.htm).

Pollyana Jun 18th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by stevewales25 (Post 10762672)

DIAC is clamping down hard at present on illegal workers, and on firms that employ them, especially on 457s. Those of us who have expended thousands of $$ and waited years to move to Australia legally would prefer it if you made DIAC aware of your concerns.
BE does not condone visa fraud, and nor do the vast majority of our posters.

pumpkin blossom Jun 19th 2013 11:10 am

Yep, they are even advertising vevo on the radio now and telling employers how much they can be fined if they employ someone without a right to work.

I have heard many stories of people saying they are sure someone got pr who was illegal, had no skills etc etc. In every single one of those cases where I have actually got to meet the person it has not been the case. Just people who don't understand how the system works and assuming.