Wikiposts

RRV under maiden name + sponsoring spouse

Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

anthonywagstaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RRV under maiden name + sponsoring spouse

Hi

I don’t think this is too complicated but hopefully someone can clarify:

My fiancée has a RRV, which was renewed for 5 years in Jan 2004 (this year) in Perth.
We are getting married in 3 weeks time.
We are hoping to get over to Aus in July / Aug 2005.

Questions

(1) Will the RRV still be valid even though her surname will have changed after the wedding?
(2) Does she need to get the RRV transferred to her new name passport?
(3) Can she sponsor me under the Spouse category (Forms 40SP & 47SP etc…) even though she’s been living in the UK permanently since July 2001 (returned to Perth Dec 03 for 2 week holiday and got RRV renewed).

Apologies if this has previously been answered elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance.

Anthony
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV under maiden name + sponsoring spouse

A visa remains valid even though the visa holder's name changes.

However, bearing in mind the increasingly specific checks carried out by airlines, it would likely be better to get her RRV re-evidenced in her new passport. There is a fee for this, and she ought to make it clear she's not applying for a new RRV (as in the worst case scenario they might give her a new three month RRV that would cancel her existing visa).

Permanent residents can sponsor for spouse visas but must be 'usually resident' in Australia. How this is assessed in specific cases depends on circumstances. You probably need professional assistance.

Jeremy

Originally posted by anthonywagstaff
Hi

I don’t think this is too complicated but hopefully someone can clarify:

My fiancée has a RRV, which was renewed for 5 years in Jan 2004 (this year) in Perth.
We are getting married in 3 weeks time.
We are hoping to get over to Aus in July / Aug 2005.

Questions

(1) Will the RRV still be valid even though her surname will have changed after the wedding?
(2) Does she need to get the RRV transferred to her new name passport?
(3) Can she sponsor me under the Spouse category (Forms 40SP & 47SP etc…) even though she’s been living in the UK permanently since July 2001 (returned to Perth Dec 03 for 2 week holiday and got RRV renewed).

Apologies if this has previously been answered elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance.

Anthony