Wikiposts

RRV and tight timings

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold
Default RRV and tight timings

I think that I may be on the verge (touches wood!) of getting a job offer in QLD. We last lived there in April 2008 and have had permanent residency since mid-Jan 2007. What I'm not sure about is if we can't get our act together and get out of the UK by early Jan 2012 (I have to work a 3 month notice period on my current job), do we need to have an RRV after that point to return? I'm presuming we do - and wondered if having a firm job offer (and family in Oz) would be enough?

Also, and sorry for all the questions... how long does it take to get an RRV? I need to have a discussion with the potential new employer next week and I'm not 100% certain where we stand.

Ta

Sarah
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV and tight timings

Yes you would need an RRV if you don't move before the expiry of current visa. I would strongly recommend that you don't get yourself into the situation of needing a RRV before you go. A job offer seems a bit flimsy as a substantial tie to me, it might work, I have seen RRVs granted when on paper circumstances don't seem to meet criteria, but you don't have to be in that situation.

Many people make the move without job offers lined up, probably most in fact, so if there are questions as to why you left it so long that won't be a good reason.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Many people make the move without job offers lined up, probably most in fact, so if there are questions as to why you left it so long that won't be a good reason.
Thanks for the advice. We moved to QLD without a job offer last time - and failed to get a job... ending up returning to the UK... which is why we've been reluctant to 'just move' again. Seems like it'll either happen and be cutting it fine, or be a non-starter!

S
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:56 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by horrigans
I think that I may be on the verge (touches wood!) of getting a job offer in QLD. We last lived there in April 2008 and have had permanent residency since mid-Jan 2007. What I'm not sure about is if we can't get our act together and get out of the UK by early Jan 2012 (I have to work a 3 month notice period on my current job), do we need to have an RRV after that point to return? I'm presuming we do - and wondered if having a firm job offer (and family in Oz) would be enough?

Also, and sorry for all the questions... how long does it take to get an RRV? I need to have a discussion with the potential new employer next week and I'm not 100% certain where we stand.

Ta

Sarah
If you intend to go to Aus after your 5 year expiry then yes you will need an RRV to go after the point your perm visa expires. How long does an RRV take to get? It takes as long as it does depending on the info you need to supply. My daughters took a few months as there were bits of info she needed to supply that took time. We were informed that the sooner you apply the better and to make sure the RRV is sorted before it's too late.

Here's the form with all the info you need
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1085.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/search/search...s=10&Search=Go

Good luck mate
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. We moved to QLD without a job offer last time - and failed to get a job... ending up returning to the UK... which is why we've been reluctant to 'just move' again. Seems like it'll either happen and be cutting it fine, or be a non-starter!

S
So if you get your job offer next week just go. Negotiate out of your notice period, explain visa situation, it will be Christmas I can't see why any employer would be so determined to make you stick to it.

Are you a family, couple? Can one / some of you go ahead?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

So if you get your job offer next week just go. Negotiate out of your notice period, explain visa situation, it will be Christmas I can't see why any employer would be so determined to make you stick to it.

Are you a family, couple? Can one / some of you go ahead?
I might be able to negotiate down my notice period a bit... but as long as we could get out there by the first week in Jan it would be okay. Just fingers and toes crossed for the job, not least because they would pay for relocation!

And yeah - we're a family - and I hadn't really thought about the 'going ahead' thing. Don't know why! But that might also be something to think about.

Thank you!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
If you intend to go to Aus after your 5 year expiry then yes you will need an RRV to go after the point your perm visa expires. How long does an RRV take to get? It takes as long as it does depending on the info you need to supply. My daughters took a few months as there were bits of info she needed to supply that took time. We were informed that the sooner you apply the better and to make sure the RRV is sorted before it's too late.

Here's the form with all the info you need
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1085.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/search/search...s=10&Search=Go

Good luck mate
Thank you! Really useful info about the RRV too. The forms themselves I've read over so many times but it all seems so vague as to what exactly 'substantial ties' are that I'm never any the wiser.

*goes back to crossing fingers*
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:25 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Really useful info about the RRV too. The forms themselves I've read over so many times but it all seems so vague as to what exactly 'substantial ties' are that I'm never any the wiser.

*goes back to crossing fingers*
You might also want to do a search and read some of the previous threads as they're interesting and also might give you the answers you need. You can start here mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...=1692698&pp=25
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You might also want to do a search and read some of the previous threads as they're interesting and also might give you the answers you need. You can start here mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...=1692698&pp=25
The link doesn't work for me but I have done a search for substantial ties and that turns up the scary prospect that a firm job offer and family (virtually all of my husband's family are out there) wouldn't be enough. Think we need to get our skates on if this is going to happen!

Thanks all.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't get me wrong, I think you do have a chance of getting the RRV. But I think that moving before the current visa expires is an infinitely better path to follow. Good luck with it.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Don't get me wrong, I think you do have a chance of getting the RRV. But I think that moving before the current visa expires is an infinitely better path to follow. Good luck with it.
Thank you! Well... they did make an offer... which is a big exciting YAY!!!!!!

... just seeing what the relocation package would be and my fingers are even more crossed! I told them about the residency / RRV situation so at least they're aware of how tight the timings are.

*gulp*
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

I might be able to negotiate down my notice period a bit... but as long as we could get out there by the first week in Jan it would be okay. Just fingers and toes crossed for the job, not least because they would pay for relocation!

And yeah - we're a family - and I hadn't really thought about the 'going ahead' thing. Don't know why! But that might also be something to think about.

Thank you!
Actually i would go December if your visa expires January just in case a certain Volcano decides to ground all flights again and you cant get there. Also notice periods tend to work one way they protect you not the company unless you have a major problem leaving on shorter notice i would just give them what you can with the visa issue. I take it you don't need a reference from them if you've been offered the other job? or do you have holiday you can take to reduce the time down if you have to do the 3 months.

Just a thought.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by dwaindibley
....Also notice periods tend to work one way they protect you not the company unless you have a major problem leaving on shorter notice i would just give them what you can with the visa issue.
Incorrect. Notice periods work two ways. It ensures if someone leaves a company then the company has enough time to replace that person. It also ensures a company must pay an employee for a period of time should that employee give notice. Often companies are happy to negotiate a lesser notice period on the basis that if someone has given notice, their heart isn't in it anymore anyway so *technically* that person can be a *liability* and may be better off gone than staying anyway. However notice periods do work two ways and it is a contractual obligation if stated in the contract.
I take it you don't need a reference from them if you've been offered the other job?
This may also be a misnoma. Often when a job is offerered it is with the caveat that once in situ a reference will be sought from your previous employer. It is widely practised here and jobs are often offered under the proviso that a reference will be sought post start date.

or do you have holiday you can take to reduce the time down if you have to do the 3 months.Just a thought.
This is a good point. I've personally negotiated leave notice this way however a company is not under any obligation to meet this request but most are happy to negotiate it as it means they reduce their costs and allow someone to leave earlier who wants to leave anyway. This is probably your best negotiation leverage for leaving early
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Actually i would go December if your visa expires January just in case a certain Volcano decides to ground all flights again and you cant get there. Also notice periods tend to work one way they protect you not the company unless you have a major problem leaving on shorter notice i would just give them what you can with the visa issue. I take it you don't need a reference from them if you've been offered the other job? or do you have holiday you can take to reduce the time down if you have to do the 3 months.

Just a thought.
I think you're right - with a bit of additional leave, I could shorten my notice to two and a half months - so that would definitely help. I work for a University though and it is always really difficult to negotiate notice periods downwards, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As to references, they need two out of three and... the two are previous employers and both of those have given them over the phone. All good on that score! Just got to have details of the relocation package, then I can let my current Uni know!

... and then start worrying about what I've let myself in for with a job in Toowoomba!

S
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:42 am

I think you're right - with a bit of additional leave, I could shorten my notice to two and a half months - so that would definitely help. I work for a University though and it is always really difficult to negotiate notice periods downwards, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As to references, they need two out of three and... the two are previous employers and both of those have given them over the phone. All good on that score! Just got to have details of the relocation package, then I can let my current Uni know!

... and then start worrying about what I've let myself in for with a job in Toowoomba!

S
Toowoomba is great I'm sure you'll love it mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.