Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

Originally Posted by empty
Did you apply it before expiry of PR? What evidence that you furnished for establishing SUBSTANTIAL personal ties in Australia? Thank you
If you look back through this thread that I have merged your thread with, you will find the information required.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:38 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Since we are outside of Australia and won't need to travel to Australia before my husbands citizenship application is decided (August latest), we won't be applying for a RRV unless it becomes necessary (i.e. citizenship declined).

Given that his PR expires in July, would it become more difficult to apply for the RRV after this time, if it becomes necessary?

Cheers
ajw
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do i need an RRV?

Hi All
I was wondering if i would require a residents return visa if i return to the uk for a week?

I ask the question as we entered Australia in Dec 2010 on a Permanent Res Visa state sponsored 137. On this visa which was granted in 2009 it stated that we enter no later than 2014 which is where my question has come from. In theory if i went and came back before this date was achieved would i still require a RRV?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks M
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:36 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i need an RRV?

No, if your current visa is still valid then you don't need an RRV - it's only once the return part of the visa has expired.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do i need an RRV?

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
No, if your current visa is still valid then you don't need an RRV - it's only once the return part of the visa has expired.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks Gold i thought that seemed to be the best logic....it was tricky getting here and i didnt want to be locked out when i left lol
Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Threads merged.
I apreciate that you have been merging threads but am not so sure that my question had been asked previously and may become obscure and lost here in future....?

The one reply does seem sound but other views on the main page would have been apreciated
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomerz
I apreciate that you have been merging threads but am not so sure that my question had been asked previously and may become obscure and lost here in future....?

The one reply does seem sound but other views on the main page would have been apreciated
The reply from goldchoccycoin is correct. I don't really see what more you can ask for. The thread contains several similar questions and same is true for them. If your visa is still valid when you return (ie you are entering Aus before the MUST NOT ENTER AFTER XXXXX date) you don't need a RRV.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

paul1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changes to RRV'S Help

If i apply for a rrv having spent more than 2 years in Australia previously on my 176 will my new 5 year rrv have a validation date on it like my original 176. You got a year to enter on that visa ..
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by paul1977
If i apply for a rrv having spent more than 2 years in Australia previously on my 176 will my new 5 year rrv have a validation date on it like my original 176. You got a year to enter on that visa ..
No, it's just a continuation of your previous visa.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:11 am
Just Joined

bert589 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have following question.

I hold 5 year RRV issued in July 2008
My RRV expires in July 2013

from July 2008 till now I have been in Australia 8 months.
We recently moved back to Australia in September 2012.

I am working a rotation 28 days on 28 days off in Middle East.
My family lives in Australia and I am with them on my days off.

My wife and my two sons hold Australian citizenship.

Will I be able to get a 1 year renewal on my RRV (till July 2014) if I were to apply under the current new rules?

If I cannot get RRV renewed I may need to look for a job in Australia.

Not sure if living in Australia (half the year) and having Australian wife and sons qualifies as significant ties to Australia.

Thanks,
Bert
Old Dec 1st 2012, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert589
I have following question.

I hold 5 year RRV issued in July 2008
My RRV expires in July 2013

from July 2008 till now I have been in Australia 8 months.
We recently moved back to Australia in September 2012.

I am working a rotation 28 days on 28 days off in Middle East.
My family lives in Australia and I am with them on my days off.

My wife and my two sons hold Australian citizenship.

Will I be able to get a 1 year renewal on my RRV (till July 2014) if I were to apply under the current new rules?

If I cannot get RRV renewed I may need to look for a job in Australia.

Not sure if living in Australia (half the year) and having Australian wife and sons qualifies as significant ties to Australia.

Thanks,
Bert
No-one can say for sure how long a RRV DIAC will grant, but as your family are living here - presumably with an established home, schools etc - and you visit them here then you stand a good chance of a 1 year or even 5 year RRV without a problem. Presumably as you are only working in the Middle East, your "home" is actually in Australia. That's more than enough of a tie, especially as you won't need a new RRv for several months, by which time your ties to Aus as your home will be even stronger than now.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No-one can say for sure how long a RRV DIAC will grant, but as your family are living here - presumably with an established home, schools etc - and you visit them here then you stand a good chance of a 1 year or even 5 year RRV without a problem. Presumably as you are only working in the Middle East, your "home" is actually in Australia. That's more than enough of a tie, especially as you won't need a new RRv for several months, by which time your ties to Aus as your home will be even stronger than now.
The rules for a 5 year RRV have changed so there's no longer any discretion available - you have to have spent 2 out of the 5 previous years in Australia. See http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...visa-works.htm which say "To be granted a visa for five years, you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year".

That said, I agree that Bert is virtually certain to get a 1 year RRV.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by louie
The rules for a 5 year RRV have changed so there's no longer any discretion available - you have to have spent 2 out of the 5 previous years in Australia. See http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...visa-works.htm which say "To be granted a visa for five years, you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year".

That said, I agree that Bert is virtually certain to get a 1 year RRV.
Yeah, I can't see any reason for worrying about it. The family will have been living here for a reasonable time before he will need to apply for a RRV, and should have plenty of ties established - even with a month on/month off contract the OP should have plenty of ties too
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:29 am
Just Joined

rxekiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
This didn't involve any change in legislation but the Minister does have the right to impose a shorter validity period than 5 years on the 155 visa. Now that option has been taken.

The rules to get an RRV have not changed - only the validity period. But with the cost now at A$300 for a one year visa, it has become a significant cost to those remaining outside Australia.

Now that it's clear that the RRV has the Minister's attention, it is entirely possible (or more possible than it was) for the rules themselves to be changed in the coming months.
HI JAJ,

Now that the fiscal year 2011-2012 has ended, and with a new liberal govt, can we expect changes to the concessional 1-year RRV? I must say that it would be inconvenient for genuine onshore residents who needs to travel when the dept takes 10 days to grant the 1-year RRV. It affects to attend to business and personal urgent travelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.