Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all
Default Changes to RRV'S Help

Could someone please explain this to me as we are just about to apply for our RRV's.
We have been back in the UK 2 years now, lived in Aus for just over 4, will this affect us?

What's New for Resident Return visas

Reduced visa validity period for certain returning residents

As part of the 2011-12 Mid-year Economic and Fiscal Outlook the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.

Sorry if I sound daft but getting back into this visa stuff again is confusing

Thanks
Shaz x
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to RRV'S Help

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
Could someone please explain this to me as we are just about to apply for our RRV's.
We have been back in the UK 2 years now, lived in Aus for just over 4, will this affect us?

What's New for Resident Return visas

Reduced visa validity period for certain returning residents

As part of the 2011-12 Mid-year Economic and Fiscal Outlook the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.

Sorry if I sound daft but getting back into this visa stuff again is confusing

Thanks
Shaz x
It means if you haven't spent more than 2 out of the last 5 years in Aus, then you will get a 1 year RRV not a 5 year one.
So look at the last five years and work out whether you have spent 2 of them in Aus. If yes, you will get a 5 year RRV, if no, you get a 1 year one.

Thanks for the info by the way, you are the first ones to spot that change
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Source - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/whats-new.htm

Moneypenny has also merged a lot of questions and comments on RRVs into this one thread as there have been so many lately

Last edited by Pollyana; May 6th 2012 at 11:54 am.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

Thanks for that Polyanna, I thought that's what it meant but needed it confirmed. Just came across it when going to print of an application form for our son, sort of panicked a bit!

Shaz x
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This didn't involve any change in legislation but the Minister does have the right to impose a shorter validity period than 5 years on the 155 visa. Now that option has been taken.

The rules to get an RRV have not changed - only the validity period. But with the cost now at A$300 for a one year visa, it has become a significant cost to those remaining outside Australia.

Now that it's clear that the RRV has the Minister's attention, it is entirely possible (or more possible than it was) for the rules themselves to be changed in the coming months.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
This didn't involve any change in legislation but the Minister does have the right to impose a shorter validity period than 5 years on the 155 visa. Now that option has been taken.

The rules to get an RRV have not changed - only the validity period. But with the cost now at A$300 for a one year visa, it has become a significant cost to those remaining outside Australia.

Now that it's clear that the RRV has the Minister's attention, it is entirely possible (or more possible than it was) for the rules themselves to be changed in the coming months.
we've certainly had a lot of people on the forums lately asking about getting a 5 year RRV on the basis of maybe one or two months spent in Aus over the previous 5 year period. At least one poster was asking for a second RRV in those circumstances and with no planned move to Aus in the near future.
I can see why they are clamping down - surely if someone really wants to move to Aus it doesn't take 10 years to do it.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

SEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really nice

Just noticed these RRV changes on this board as I'm looking into this since my P.R 136 Visa is about to "expire" in June 2012, it was issued June 2007.

My issue is the following; Approaching June 2012 I will have probably around 550-600 days in AU within the 5 year visa period. Primarily due overseas work related travel, well over 50% of the year and also 1 year based in Europe.

From what I understand I will no longer be elegible for a 5-year RRV visa, but a 1-year RRV.

My question is this; If i apply and it is issued in June 2012, a 1-year RRV visa, how will the time spent in country be calculated if I apply for a 5-year RRV next year?

Is it 2 years in the original issued P.R Visa period? Is it 2 years within that same period (5 years) PLUS an additional number of days spent in the country while on the 1 year RRV visa? Or is it simply always a historic 5 year period from the date you apply for the RRV.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by SEAndy; Mar 6th 2012 at 12:30 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEAndy
Or is it simply always a historic 5 year period from the date you apply for the RRV.
Yes.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

SEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really nice
Default RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Hi,

I will need to apply for a RRV (i´m on a 136 Permanent Residency visa and the 5 year period is coming up). Unfortunately I´m short of the 2 years on-shore needed for the 5 year RRV, so I guess it will be a 1-year issued RRV - I am on-shore and have documentation if needed to prove substancial ties.

1. Has anyone recently gone through this process (and have under 2 years in the country), since the RRV changes in Feb, and could give some idea about the timeline if doing the application online?

2. Has anyone been granted an exception to the new rules, i.e been issued a 5-years RRV even they have spend less time than 2 years on-shore? Are there any exceptions, if you can prove for instance extensive business travel over-seas anually?

For some people, myself included, who are spending more than 50% away overseas on business travel/projects per year, the new rules make it somewhat inconvenient since one would have to apply for another 1-year extension every single year, possibly never accumulating enough time in the country either for Citizenship or a 5 year RRV - even though living, beeing employed and paying taxes in Australia. A situation which apparenty is not addressed with the new rules. Any other route to get a 5 year RRV?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

SarahRob198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will this ruin our chance for RRV and partner visa?

Hi all,
We have a huge dilema in our situation, me, my partner and son want to emigrate to Aus as a few of you already know, however we have been told to produce documents(jp certified)by my parents and my two brothers. The problem being my two brothers, i haven't spoken to them for about 2 years now due to falling out, therefore they won't allow us to use any of their documents to aid our application, will this affect our chances of getting the application? Can DIAC question as to why i haven't included my brothers as part of my ties to Australia? Surely if they did and i was to tell them we have fallen out this won't go down well? Especially if we are planning to move to the same address as them?
Any answers are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Sarah.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will this ruin our chance for RRV and partner visa?

Originally Posted by SarahRob198
Hi all,
We have a huge dilema in our situation, me, my partner and son want to emigrate to Aus as a few of you already know, however we have been told to produce documents(jp certified)by my parents and my two brothers. The problem being my two brothers, i haven't spoken to them for about 2 years now due to falling out, therefore they won't allow us to use any of their documents to aid our application, will this affect our chances of getting the application? Can DIAC question as to why i haven't included my brothers as part of my ties to Australia? Surely if they did and i was to tell them we have fallen out this won't go down well? Especially if we are planning to move to the same address as them?
Any answers are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Sarah.
Well you have your parents it is something, but would be a stronger case with brothers too. If you are going to be living at the same address as them, then don't you need to build bridges anyway?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

So this will lessen our chances then? And yes to be honest from what we gathered they were not as hot headed about the whole situation as i thought, but since my parents have asked for these documents they have jumped into defensive mode.. So now i am wondering would it be a good idea to go over and live under the same roof if they hate us that much?
So you don't think the immi could question as to why we haven't included them in the application form?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply by the way Bermuda
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahRob198
So this will lessen our chances then? And yes to be honest from what we gathered they were not as hot headed about the whole situation as i thought, but since my parents have asked for these documents they have jumped into defensive mode.. So now i am wondering would it be a good idea to go over and live under the same roof if they hate us that much?
So you don't think the immi could question as to why we haven't included them in the application form?
It is not a black and white situation, so I really don't feel able to comment on whether it would impact your chances or otherwise.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:33 am
Look a star

zzidane will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RRV processing times

Hi Andy,
I successfuly applied for a 5 year RRV for myself in december 2011, while offshore and it took 4 days to be granted. I then applied for the rest of the family in feb but this took a couple of weeks and looking at the dates, they were ganted a 5 year RRV on the day the goalposts were moved.
We didn't meet the 2 year minimum by just over a month but were able to provide evidence of both compelling reasons to have leave early and also
substantial ties for our return.
They are many in a similar if not identical situation and they are not gauranteed to be successful. Each case is treated individualy by different maybe not so understanding CO's
I think the rules have changed because so many were given another 5 year lifeline, but if people are so desperate to get back a year should be ample.
I wonder how many 5 yr RRV's have expired without even being used?
Plus they can make more from it I guess.
Good luck anyway.
Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.