Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Old May 15th 2012, 2:36 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default RRV

Hi can any one help? My family and I have permanent residency, we lived for 3 years on the sunshine coast but came back for personal reasons, we really want to go back permanently but not for another 2 years as want to sell house etc, we are planning a holiday for september just to visit friends, my question is our visa runs out october 2012, can we renew our visas whilst on holiday this year or do we have to let it expire and apply for RRV from the uk, any help greatly appreciated
Old May 15th 2012, 3:03 pm

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: RRV

also if we had to get an RRV offshore would we need to validate within 12 months like the 136?
Old May 15th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

SarahRob198 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty sure that your visa has to expire, howeer if you are planning a trip you can just go over on your visa you have now, and yes you would have to be in the country within the 12 months as they are the grounds i have on the visa i was granted yesterday (an RRV), hope this helps.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply either in the UK or in Australia either now or later (your visa does not need to have expired). Probably easier to do in Australia though.

And no, you do not need to validate a RRV.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by louie
You can apply either in the UK or in Australia either now or later (your visa does not need to have expired). Probably easier to do in Australia though.

And no, you do not need to validate a RRV.
Thanks for the replies, so just to make sure i have understood correctly, i can apply for an RRV now whilst in uk and travel back to oz wen im ready in 2 years and i dont need to validate it?
Old May 15th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and yes.... but there's no real need to apply for one until you have a date to go back permanently (as you will have entered Australia during the validity of your current visa for your holiday later this year) AS LONG AS at that time you will still have been in Australia for two of the previous five years. So assuming you didn't leave Australia at all in the time you were living there, that would be three years after you left (ignoring the holiday later in the year).

But by all means go ahead and get one now if you want to; you never know, the rules might change again before you can apply if you don't. It would probably be easier to do whilst on holiday though if you are going to be near a DIAC office; I think you can just pop in and do it there and then rather than having to fill in the forms over here. Or you can apply online if you are Australia - see here.

Sarah - I don't understand your comment. My original visa label says "must enter by 10 Mar 2008" (my validation date) in the top right corner, whereas the RRV says "nil" in the same place on the label (and mine was granted in the UK, the same as yours). What exactly do yours say?
Old May 16th 2012, 9:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Thanks for the replies, so just to make sure i have understood correctly, i can apply for an RRV now whilst in uk and travel back to oz wen im ready in 2 years and i dont need to validate it?
That is correct. As you have done more than 2 years in Oz (from last 5) you should be able to get a 5 year RRV. There is no validation requirement to an RRV.

I received mine whilst still in Australia. It is an online application and results within 24 hours. For my wife and daughter we applied whilst in UK and used Ian Harrop for assistance (probably not required for you if you have all done more than 2 years in Oz, my wife and daughter had not). Uk application took about 2 days to come back approved.

If I was in your shoes, I would just apply now, get it done and secure your RRV. You never know when the rules might change.

Regards
Old May 16th 2012, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Threads merged.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:04 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions on RRV application

Hi All

I am an Australian citizen, my husband is British and has held Aus PR since July 2007. We are currently living in Malaysia and are awaiting the outcome of a citizenship application dependent upon the ministerial discretion given to those with Aus spouses, close ties to Aus etc (Melbourne Overseas Unit). Our application was received in March and lead time for resolution is 5 months.

In the meantime, we need to apply for a RRV as his five years PR is almost up. Have stumbled on a few of the questions are require clarification if possible.

23. Did you first arrive in Australia as a migrant?

Does this relate to his first visit after the temporary spouse visa was granted or even further back when he came on a tourist visa? The answer depends on which visit is being referred to.

Also, date of first arrival in Australia?

Again, would this relate to his very first trip as a tourist or after his spouse visa was granted?

I am assuming in both instances it refers to our validation trip after the spouse visa was granted but want to be certain.

I hope the above makes sense and thanks in advance for any help!
Old May 28th 2012, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on RRV application

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi All

I am an Australian citizen, my husband is British and has held Aus PR since July 2007. We are currently living in Malaysia and are awaiting the outcome of a citizenship application dependent upon the ministerial discretion given to those with Aus spouses, close ties to Aus etc (Melbourne Overseas Unit). Our application was received in March and lead time for resolution is 5 months.

In the meantime, we need to apply for a RRV as his five years PR is almost up. Have stumbled on a few of the questions are require clarification if possible.

23. Did you first arrive in Australia as a migrant?

Does this relate to his first visit after the temporary spouse visa was granted or even further back when he came on a tourist visa? The answer depends on which visit is being referred to.

Also, date of first arrival in Australia?

Again, would this relate to his very first trip as a tourist or after his spouse visa was granted?

I am assuming in both instances it refers to our validation trip after the spouse visa was granted but want to be certain.

I hope the above makes sense and thanks in advance for any help!
One is asking for his "first arrival"- so what date did he FIRST ARRIVE - the other is asking for 'as a migrant" - so not as a tourist, put when did he actually emigrate, so that would be the Spouse Visa - thats when he moved to Aus rather than just visited.
Old May 29th 2012, 12:00 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on RRV application

Excellent! Thanks v much Pollyanna
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough
Default Resident Return Visa

After years of deliberations, I am planning to move to Australia finally in April 2013, if not before that

I will still have a year before my PR expires, however, I am worried as it may affect my ability to return back to Australia should I need to visit out of Australia after my PR expires but before staying two years in Australia that would entitle me to apply for 5 years Resident Return Visa. Applying RRV in Australia before meeting staying requirement of two years in case of emergencies can be very tricky I suppose.

I wonder how many days it takes by department to decide on the RRV without meeting the stay requirement of 2 years. I am referring here 3 months RRV visa.

Ideally it is better to move while visa is still valid for more than two years, however, there is strong financial motivation in deferring my move till April 2013.

I wonder if this is already faced by some of you. Any thoughts, inputs would be appreciated.

Last edited by empty; Jun 7th 2012 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

SarahRob198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

Hi, i've just been granted an RRV for 12 months, i never met the requirements of staying in Aus for 2 years or more, i was there for a total of 4 months. However i do have family in that country, just so you know mine was granted with two days of them receiving the application, not sure how much the timescale differs but that's just to give you an example. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Sarah.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV - A thread for all questions and suggestions....

Threads merged.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

Did you apply it before expiry of PR? What evidence that you furnished for establishing SUBSTANTIAL personal ties in Australia? Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.