RRV Questions and Answers (merged threads)

Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

aliash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting outside of Australia ...after Visa expiry - Question

Originally Posted by kapild
And why is that? I will for sure apply for a RRV.. Why wud they deport me? Its not I will be in Australia without valid Visa or authorization???
you said your visa has expired, and illegally staying results deportation.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV Questions and Answers (merged threads)

Originally Posted by JAJ
It wouldn't be in Australia's interest to force people to become citizens on pain of losing resident status. But by the same token, I have to wonder why someone would choose to spend much of their life in Australia without wanting to become a citizen.
I think the reason, for British Expats, was that we didn't have to think about it. We had all the rights of citizens, voting, gov. jobs etc. I had free RRVs, then they started to charge for them, each time the fee seemed to double until it was just the same cost as a passport. As I had no intention of living anywhere else, I took citizenship 36 years after I arrived. My eldest 2 sons took citizenship a couple of years after me.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

kapild will become famous soon enough

I am sorry If I was not clear.. I have PR Visa... so If I am in Australia when the Visa expires then it shud not be an issue.. I can live there .. The only issue is if I want to travel outside and come back... I guess would it be possible to get a RRV after a few months stay
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

aliash is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry If I was not clear.. I have PR Visa... so If I am in Australia when the Visa expires then it shud not be an issue.. I can live there .. The only issue is if I want to travel outside and come back... I guess would it be possible to get a RRV after a few months stay
yes then you can come on RRV, not a problem
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:41 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Please read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

As long as you have ties to Australia (mortgage/rental agreement, job, bank accounts, kids in school etc.) and you are planning a short trip (holiday, visit relatives etc.) it should be fine.

Good luck.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks tking...really appreciate.. I guess the time has come to make my dream come true...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Thanks tking...really appreciate.. I guess the time has come to make my dream come true...
I have a question.. is it possible to visit outside Australia after the visa has expired and I have lived in Australia for a few months only? QUOTE

so whats your dream to leave australia
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

hey Guys

I have a question.. is it possible to visit outside Australia after the visa has expired and I have lived in Australia for a few months only?

Appreciate your response
You will have trouble getting a rrv. If you have only just moved why do you need to leave already?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Q Billym and Bermudashorts...

First I am NOT leaving Australia.. I need to visit certain place for few days... So thats the distinction.. SOmetimes we have to do things even when we dont want .. and thats my situation.. Need to take care of some business and thus need to visit for a few days
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:12 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You will have trouble getting a rrv. If you have only just moved why do you need to leave already?
I don't think it would necessarily be a problem - especially if they had strong ties and needed to leave for a short time. I guess he'll find out.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
I don't think it would necessarily be a problem - especially if they had strong ties and needed to leave for a short time. I guess he'll find out.
Ok that should have been "may" not "will". It is harder to show strong ties after a short period of time is what I meant.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV Questions and Answers (merged threads)

Originally Posted by louie
You've renounced your UK citizenship have you? It's so easy to say that when you don't have to make a choice. How would you feel if your elderly father, for instance, was ill and you had no right to return to your country to care for him?
No I don't have to make that choice. I am still entitled to a personal opinion though regardless of whether it fits in with your ideas or not.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If I had to make a choice, would never renounce my UK citizenship. I do not see any reason why someone cannot keep getting RRVs; they have permanent residence so why not. I agree that people should not be able to visit a few times a year and get RRVs though, they should be living and contributing to Australia..
That's my problem with the current rules.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As long as the person applying is an Aus resident, and not someone just visiting for a couple of weeks a year, I don't have a problem with it.
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think that's the issue. Some of the posters inquiring about RRV's of late don't seem to have even that much connection to Australia.
I have no issue with people who live here, have their entire lives here but don't want to lose their homeland nationality by gaining citizenship. The continuous stream of 'I don't want to live there, but I want the right to pop in and out when I feel like it' is what pisses me off. There should be some sort of ruling whereby they cannot continue to claim RRVs.

Originally Posted by kamikaze81
Why are the moderators on this forum so bitchy about people now having little substantial ties.. DIAC must have granted them PR on the basis of their skill sets not for nothing.. Life throws numerous challenges like illness of a member.. after that u have to quit the job to be with them, then you dont get a job in their field, recession, anything might be the case..
Why are you passing judgements you morons???.. People are just asking advise if you dont want to give them that try being respectful than being racist judging the person by his/her user name...
Not a moron but I do have an opinion. I live in a democracy and so have the right to voice that opinion. You have the right to not agree with me. You don't have the right to call me a moron. And why you're lumping all Moderators together just because one has made a statement you don't like is beyond me. I have no idea what most people's race is, nor do I care. As long as someone is applying to live and work in Australia, is prepared to fulfil all legal requirements, I am as happy as the next person to welcome them. When some decide they're going to abuse the system because they've worked out a way around the rules, then I object, regardless of creed, colour or religion.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Please read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

As long as you have ties to Australia (mortgage/rental agreement, job, bank accounts, kids in school etc.) and you are planning a short trip (holiday, visit relatives etc.) it should be fine.

Good luck.
Hi guys im going crazy here and sort of worried also by reading all of this,and could i know the right answers to what i am going to ask,but im sure time will tell,but would settle my mind a little.
Right this august 2011 i will have had my visa for 3 years,lets say i have not been able to go just yet and hey where does the time go,been very keen in getting my visa from day one and get there and where am i?still in the uk.
Many things have been going on and have delayed me from going.

I have met this nice girl who i have been with now for almost 2 years,plan was for her to get a whv and i can get myself over there and she join me and we tie the knot when we are there,but she wants us to get it done before we go,thats fine by me as i can understand that.

As much as i would like to get to oz like yesterday/today its just not time,i know almost 3 yrs of having a visa and still not there,but hey its for 5 years right.
Anyway we will have a big push on this year and want to get married and start getting things in place,once married we want to apply for her visa as we would now be a couple, it would be a little bit easyier to get it that way.

If anyone knows how long does it take these days for your other half to get her visa once you are married, i have a pr visa but she would need one as she is coming with me.

The problem i have is as we have to get married,get her the visa she needs and finish or complete a few things here,and yes try and sell house i am thinking this could take upto another year or less.
I am thinking i could have say 1 yr 2 months maybe left on my visa by the time we get over there with all above being done etc.

So my question is which im sure i read sometime ago when you are granted your visa they prefer you to have moved within the first 3 well as i am not going to be able to do that,i need to ask say i dont get there until i have say 1yr 2 months left on it,yes its still valid for that time until it expires so i could come and go as i please as its still valid.But this rrv visa how would this work for me.
Say i have got myself a home with mortgage,have a nice job and say who know my wife to be has a child on the way,as i would not have done my 2 years they prefer,am i not going to get a rrv visa?or if i did leave the country for some reason i had to as something happened back home they might not let me back?surely not when i have the above things in place.

Who knows what can happen when we arrive,and we might need to go back to uk sooner than we wanted,not the plan though want to leave it for a couple of years at least,but hey surely if we wanted to go on a holiday out of oz then surely a rrv would not be an issue?

My plan is when i do finally get to oz and have the amount of time they require is to get citizenship and to save messing about with visas and have dual passports etc.But this rrv thing does worry me a litte from the time we do get over to what we can and might not be able to do.

Things happen and sometimes people need to get back to uk,or my job might be that i work outside oz who knows,but i just needed to be clear if i am not in oz till so late and i have these ties if they can still be akward in leaving or if we did getting back in.
Also say i have done 1yr 2 months of my remaining visa left i am in oz as mentioned and its expired,am i not supposed to have another visa?to allow me to stay there,or i take as i have already had the visa and was in oz at the time it expired it does not matter its only when i need to leave i have.

Would be greatfully of some feedback on the above and if anyone has left it so late to get there and had trouble getting there rrv or what happened etc

Last edited by brian.w; Mar 20th 2011 at 4:59 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

Hi Brian,

First off, once in Australia your visa may expire but your status will not. So if you came to Australia with only 1 year on your visa, you could stay for 25 years or more with no problems. You would just have the old expired visa sticker in your passport.

Now, not many people are comfortable having an expired visa (in case they have to travel in an emergency) so this is where a Resident Return Visa comes in. If you are settled (house/rental, car, job etc.) then it is usually not an issue to get a 5 year RRV. However, if you have only been in Australia for a short time it may not be so easy.

If you are in Australia for 1 year and 2 months and are 'settled' then you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Hi Brian,

First off, once in Australia your visa may expire but your status will not. So if you came to Australia with only 1 year on your visa, you could stay for 25 years or more with no problems. You would just have the old expired visa sticker in your passport.

Now, not many people are comfortable having an expired visa (in case they have to travel in an emergency) so this is where a Resident Return Visa comes in. If you are settled (house/rental, car, job etc.) then it is usually not an issue to get a 5 year RRV. However, if you have only been in Australia for a short time it may not be so easy.

If you are in Australia for 1 year and 2 months and are 'settled' then you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!
Thats sort of what i was thinking,thanks for the info,i thought for a bit i might have to leave stuff not sorted out here in the uk to get my 2 years in living in australia done asap,but if i have a house and all that then why would they refuse,i suppose if someone had no plans in staying on oz and always ended up back in the uk fair enough,but thats not the case for me,when i go thats it,but would probably need to visit uk,hopefully not soon afer we are there,but much later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.