rrv and citizenship?

Old May 2nd 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rrv and citizenship?

As I said before Brian, you probably qualify for a one year RRV already. However, one of the factors they look at is also whether you have been in the country a year, so even if you don't qualify now, it very likely indeed that you would be granted a one year RRV once your first anniversary is up.

As O.S. says, why not just apply, either now or shortly after the first anniversary?
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by louie
As I said before Brian, you probably qualify for a one year RRV already. However, one of the factors they look at is also whether you have been in the country a year, so even if you don't qualify now, it very likely indeed that you would be granted a one year RRV once your first anniversary is up.

As O.S. says, why not just apply, either now or shortly after the first anniversary?
and i take this can be done anytime,and how long does it take to get it and how much.
the job i had in mind is not until august so that would take me over my rirst year in oz.
I wonder why if you do 2 yrs they give 5yrs rrv and only 1 yr rrv for 1 yr in oz,how would i know what i qualify for when it comes to getting on.
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
and i take this can be done anytime,and how long does it take to get it and how much.
the job i had in mind is not until august so that would take me over my rirst year in oz.
I wonder why if you do 2 yrs they give 5yrs rrv and only 1 yr rrv for 1 yr in oz,how would i know what i qualify for when it comes to getting on.
All the info is here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx. Current fee $345 each. Not sure how long it takes - a straight forward application that satisfies the 2 year rule is obviously quicker.
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
All the info is here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx. Current fee $345 each. Not sure how long it takes - a straight forward application that satisfies the 2 year rule is obviously quicker.
whats the two versions about:

RRV (called a Return (Residence) (Class BB) visa)
Provisional RRV (called a Resident Return (Temporary) (Class TP) visa

and can you go to there office and have it done over counter,im wondering how quick one can be received,if i needed one for work overseas,i would still be living and have a rental in australia with wife and daughter in oz

Last edited by brian.w; May 2nd 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Because you already held a valid visa and you are allowed to be absent from Australia for up to 12 months. Or just wait til 2017 and do citizenship as family (providing nothing changes between now and then)

Either way it's a long way off to be asking these questions.
I still can't get my head around why it would be 2016 im able to apply for citizenship I probably have said over and over that I did not come to live here until June 2013 and I did mention in another post the dates I got my visa granted and came over to validate etc.
And it's been mentioned that first year does not count but this gets me as even if I did come to validate my visa jan 2009 for a month and again came back with wife on a holiday dec 2009.
I then did not come back here till June 2013 almost 4 years later and just in time before my visa would not allow me as a pr.
I'm just confused how validating my visa back then counts to the 2yrs I have almost done since arriving and being able to apply for citizenship 2016?

I have not been having an easy ride here in regards to work and settling in etc and it's come to the point where if it's 2016 for citizenship stick it out till then apply and once got think of going back unless things have changed or got better for us and stay on,as if one of us has citizenship it's at least easy in future if we wanted to come back.
Yes I could get 5 yr rrv when june 2015 comes along but this only last 5 yrs and things might change down the line in regards to this rrv visa etc and cause I have done 2yrs in it's so near so far to getting there vs starting all over again if moved back and then back oz again,plus not getting any younger.

I just can't get it in my head why I qualify in 2016 for citizenship considering how things went above and I have asked this a few times over and get same answers.
If it works out im not able to apply till 2017 then unless things change big time can't see being here that long but could see it out till 2016.
It's very confusing when I did not do what most have done and moved over as soon as visa was granted I did this years later.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I get 2017 but I maybe getting it all wrong
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:34 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I get 2017 but I maybe getting it all wrong
When you first entered Australia to validate your PR visa, you were legally resident. Citizenship requires 4 years residence but allows absences of up to 12 months. Since after you validated, you were not in the country, this is when you use the 12 months and that leaves 3 years to complete when you returned - hence 2016!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

When you first entered Australia to validate your PR visa, you were legally resident. Citizenship requires 4 years residence but allows absences of up to 12 months. Since after you validated, you were not in the country, this is when you use the 12 months and that leaves 3 years to complete when you returned - hence 2016!
Ok thanks its just confusing that as I was here in 2009 to validate and another on holiday on that year that I leave to go back to uk and no return till 2013 how this can be classed as 12 months absence as I not been here from after 2009 to when I moved in 2013.
I'm not saying your wrong or everyone that's said same thing it's just strange how it all works.
So it's see this out till I qualify and apply etc and hope things have changed here as in more settled jobs get better etc or just throw in the towel take my 5yr rrv and move on.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Brian it boils down to - you need three years of presence in the four years before you apply for citizenship. Once you have been in Australia three years, that will suffice (in your case).
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Been a while since I been on here,just back from a trip to uk after mother getting ill and a big operation and not knowing how it all would go.
But all turned out good and came back to oz very happy,now back in time to see birth of our baby any day soon.
My question is I qualify to apply for citizenship 1st of June this year but cause I just been in uk am I right in saying this becomes the time I was in uk later to apply?
As the travel side of my pr had expired, I had to get a rrv which is now 5 yrs to make this trip to uk.
I had been holding off on the rrv and was going to get citizenship as soon as I could apply,but could not help what happened and had to get back to uk ASAP.
I was told you needed it anyway a valid visa to apply for citizenship is this right? Mine was still valid but not the travel side of it.
So I'm thinking around 21st June 2016 I can apply for citizenship where as before was 1st June cause I just got back from uk.
Is there anything I can do to get it more ready for when the time comes to apply? Like I'm sure there is a police report from uk? Can this be done anytime or has to be within a timeframe of application?
How long does that take and is it posted or emailed to you and what's the place link for this it needs to be applied from.
I'm pretty sure there is Aussie police report as well but I will need to look into that once I read through application.
So what happens to the rrv I just got does that expire? When citizenship is granted?
As seems such a waste having paid for the rrv and then citizenship soon after but due to the nature of needing the rrv not much I could have done.
Out of interest what is the cost for applying for citizenship? I'm sure my rrv was like $360 or there about.
I know I'm a good few months away from applying but just trying to get my head around this again and what I can do for now or upcoming,as these months sure will fly past.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Been a while since I been on here,just back from a trip to uk after mother getting ill and a big operation and not knowing how it all would go.
But all turned out good and came back to oz very happy,now back in time to see birth of our baby any day soon.
My question is I qualify to apply for citizenship 1st of June this year but cause I just been in uk am I right in saying this becomes the time I was in uk later to apply?
As the travel side of my pr had expired, I had to get a rrv which is now 5 yrs to make this trip to uk.
I had been holding off on the rrv and was going to get citizenship as soon as I could apply,but could not help what happened and had to get back to uk ASAP.
I was told you needed it anyway a valid visa to apply for citizenship is this right? Mine was still valid but not the travel side of it.
So I'm thinking around 21st June 2016 I can apply for citizenship where as before was 1st June cause I just got back from uk.
Is there anything I can do to get it more ready for when the time comes to apply? Like I'm sure there is a police report from uk? Can this be done anytime or has to be within a timeframe of application?
How long does that take and is it posted or emailed to you and what's the place link for this it needs to be applied from.
I'm pretty sure there is Aussie police report as well but I will need to look into that once I read through application.
So what happens to the rrv I just got does that expire? When citizenship is granted?
As seems such a waste having paid for the rrv and then citizenship soon after but due to the nature of needing the rrv not much I could have done.
Out of interest what is the cost for applying for citizenship? I'm sure my rrv was like $360 or there about.
I know I'm a good few months away from applying but just trying to get my head around this again and what I can do for now or upcoming,as these months sure will fly past.
Australian citizenship
  • You have a valid visa, your PR is still valid.
  • Your RRV will last for 5 years, you can hold off on the citizenship if you want to save money now, just use the RRV for travel and get citizenship at a later date.
  • When you get citizenship your PR visa and RRV are cancelled.
  • Current cost is $285 per adult.
  • You will need a UK police check because of the time you spent in the UK after getting your visa. www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
  • DIBP do the Australian police check on your behalf., Yoiu do not have to do anything.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australian citizenship
  • You have a valid visa, your PR is still valid.
  • Your RRV will last for 5 years, you can hold off on the citizenship if you want to save money now, just use the RRV for travel and get citizenship at a later date.
  • When you get citizenship your PR visa and RRV are cancelled.
  • Current cost is $285 per adult.
  • You will need a UK police check because of the time you spent in the UK after getting your visa. www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
  • DIBP do the Australian police check on your behalf., Yoiu do not have to do anything.
So I would only need uk police check? Well I was granted my pr visa years ago and was in and out of oz a few times from uk,but never moved over until close to my 5 yrs of pr visa expiring.
Since arriving in oz when I moved here only been back to uk once for the three weeks I mentioned before.
So I take cause I had my pr visa but still living in uk while I was granted and due to the recent trip a uk police check is needed right?
I have not checked out the uk police check link you sent but can this be had anytime or do they expire?
As would hate to apply and find out I need to get again.

I'm just trying to figure if there is anything to do or can get done in advance to stop any future delay in applying.

I don't mind applying for citizenship when it's OK to apply as government changes rules all the time,costs go up etc so best apply sooner than later.
And I suppose it I needed to work overseas in the mean time I could with the rrv or go overseas on hold or if I needed to get back to uk urgent.

But when does the rrv part expire when applying for citizenship? When granted? If so that could be many months after applying right? And I still have use of rrv.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:54 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So I would only need uk police check? Well I was granted my pr visa years ago and was in and out of oz a few times from uk,but never moved over until close to my 5 yrs of pr visa expiring.
Since arriving in oz when I moved here only been back to uk once for the three weeks I mentioned before.
So I take cause I had my pr visa but still living in uk while I was granted and due to the recent trip a uk police check is needed right?
I have not checked out the uk police check link you sent but can this be had anytime or do they expire?
As would hate to apply and find out I need to get again.

I'm just trying to figure if there is anything to do or can get done in advance to stop any future delay in applying.

I don't mind applying for citizenship when it's OK to apply as government changes rules all the time,costs go up etc so best apply sooner than later.
And I suppose it I needed to work overseas in the mean time I could with the rrv or go overseas on hold or if I needed to get back to uk urgent.

But when does the rrv part expire when applying for citizenship? When granted? If so that could be many months after applying right? And I still have use of rrv.
As you may have noticed I have answered many of your questions in the past which is how I know you will need a UK check. You waitied a good long time before actually migrating. So you will need to get an ACPO check. Police checks have a 'life' of 12 months in the world of Aussie Immigration.

If you need to go overseas before your citizenship comes through, you use your current RRV. Your RRV and PR visa will be cancelled on the day of your citizenship ceremony - you are not a citizen until the ceremony takes place.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As you may have noticed I have answered many of your questions in the past which is how I know you will need a UK check. You waitied a good long time before actually migrating. So you will need to get an ACPO check. Police checks have a 'life' of 12 months in the world of Aussie Immigration.

If you need to go overseas before your citizenship comes through, you use your current RRV. Your RRV and PR visa will be cancelled on the day of your citizenship ceremony - you are not a citizen until the ceremony takes place.
Ok thanks so nothing stopping me applying for a uk police check now then or say in coming months.im sure i read on acro site it was valid for 6 months but maybe wrong?
But wondered if same with immigration if they wanted it from months back or recent which you say is 12 months which sounds good.
I may download the application in coming days see if there is anything else i need to ask or not sure of.
But wanted to know about the uk police check for now as that probably be the biggest delay in getting.thanks
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:26 pm
Home and Happy

Ok thanks so nothing stopping me applying for a uk police check now then or say in coming months.im sure i read on acro site it was valid for 6 months but maybe wrong?
But wondered if same with immigration if they wanted it from months back or recent which you say is 12 months which sounds good.
I may download the application in coming days see if there is anything else i need to ask or not sure of.
But wanted to know about the uk police check for now as that probably be the biggest delay in getting.thanks
For Australian purposes it is valid for 12 months. If you make another trip back to the UK they MIGHT want another check, though I doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.