RRV and Citizenship

Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Neil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant future
Default RRV and Citizenship

I arrived in Australia four and a half years ago on a PR. I had to fly back to the UK for a short last week for an urgent visit. It wasn't till I went through passport control that I discovered my PR visa had expired. Immigration were really helpful and said that I could carry on with my journey but they would be waiting for me when I returned.
On my return they issued me with a thirty day reentry visa and I have to apply for a RRV before the thirty days are up.
Before I left for the UK I was looking into booking my citizenship test for which I was eligible. Will I Still be able to go ahead and do this or will I now have to wait another 4 years.
Many Thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV and Citizenship

Originally Posted by Neil&Ellen
I arrived in Australia four and a half years ago on a PR. I had to fly back to the UK for a short last week for an urgent visit. It wasn't till I went through passport control that I discovered my PR visa had expired. Immigration were really helpful and said that I could carry on with my journey but they would be waiting for me when I returned.
On my return they issued me with a thirty day reentry visa and I have to apply for a RRV before the thirty days are up.
Before I left for the UK I was looking into booking my citizenship test for which I was eligible. Will I Still be able to go ahead and do this or will I now have to wait another 4 years.
Many Thanks.
No you don't have to wait another four years. As long as your time out of the country has not exceeded 90 days within the last year - you will be fine.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There was somebody in a similar situation to you not that long ago and they were told they would have to wait an extra year for the citizenship as a penalty for coming back to Australia without a valid re-entry visa. I assume that if that had happened in this case it would be quite obvious to you, so you were lucky in comparison and should be fine.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil&Ellen
Many Thanks.
It appears that you have been issued a border visa. What does the paperwork say?

If that's the case, then you are NOT a permanent resident and hence are ineligible for citizenship. You need to get your permanent residence back by applying for an RRV before the time limit of your visa is up (don't even think about not doing it on time ... ) and then you will have to wait 12 months to become eligible for citizenship again. Take a look at section 22(1) of the Citizenship Act to be sure.

Your spouse may still be eligible for citizenship and any children under 16 can be added to that application.

By the way - you should apply for an RRV tomorrow as your existing temporary visa may carry conditions forbidding you to work, access healthcare etc.

You should have obtained an RRV from the Australian High Commission in London before you returned.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Neil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant future

Thanks everybody for your replys.
I now have my answer.. I went into the immigration office in Melbourne yesterday and got my RRV sorted, I asked them about my citizenship and have to now wait one more year.
I was a bit gutted at first but in reality it's no big deal really, just won't be able to vote for another year and continue traveling on my UK passport.